Xbox Game Pass for PC is increasing its price

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Most will agree that Xbox Game Pass for PC is an excellent service, offering a slew of top titles for subscribers to download and play for just $5 per month—not to mention the initial $1 per month introductory offer. But the service has been in beta since launch, and when that ends on September 17, the price is doubling.

Buried in the slew of Xbox Series X/S announcements yesterday was confirmation that the Xbox Game Pass for PC would exit beta and "become generally available" next week, at which point the price will jump from $4.99 per month to $9.99 per month. It's also likely to expand to more locations at this time.

Microsoft notes that existing members will still pay the same $5 per month through the next billing cycle, so you're not going to suddenly start paying the new rate once September 17 arrives—it'll only kick in once your month is up.

Even at $10 per month, the Xbox Game Pass for PC is good value, offering access to over 100 games. All Microsoft-developed titles are free on release day, such as the brilliant Gears Tactics and Microsoft Flight Simulator, and the service includes third-party games, including the addictive-as-crack Wasteland 3.

The price is only going up for Xbox Game Pass for PC. Xbox Game Pass remains at $10 per month, while Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which includes Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass for PC, and Xbox Live Gold, is $15 per month. The Ultimate option will also grant access to Microsoft's xCloud streaming service as of next week.

Microsoft yesterday announced that it would be adding EA Play to Xbox Game Pass for both Xbox and PC, which should go some way to softening the blow of that price increase. Members will receive access to over 60 games from Electronics Arts' stable, including Battlefield V, Mass Effect, and The Sims 4, along with timed demos for new releases.

Permalink to story.

They are not, the current price was a beta price, it was never going to stay this cheap

Yes they are. From one month to the next the price doubles. The price was never a "Beta" price, it was the Xbox game pass service that was "Beta", not the price.

I think MS are taking advantage of a few things to maximize profit, mainly people being stuck at home under COVID-19 quarantine and the introduction of the new Nvidia graphic cards.

Yes they are. From one month to the next the price doubles. The price was never a "Beta" price, it was the Xbox game pass service that was "Beta", not the price.

I think MS are taking advantage of a few things to maximize profit, mainly people being stuck at home under COVID-19 quarantine and the introduction of the new Nvidia graphic cards.

Lol they should only up the price for people with nvidia cards then. The *ahem* nvidia tax if you will.

I am not surprised at all. Also, even at $10/month I think it is a great deal. That is basically two specialty drinks at Starbucks or one less meal eating out (if anyone still does that with covid-19...)

I have Ultimate as I have an Xbox One X as well as a gaming PC. I typically purchase Ultimate either six or 12 months at a time. Some places like Amazon will have the Ultimate cards on sale from time to time. Typically not huge savings but hey savings is savings. :)

After conversion to PLN, that price is actually discouraging - I'm one of those that play a small number of selected games so will stick to the traditional model.

I called it. I said back when they were eliminating xbox gold yearly subscriptions it was so they could push people to game pass and then crank up the price of game pass.

$120 a year, BTW, is twice what gold used to cost.

I called it. I said back when they were eliminating xbox gold yearly subscriptions it was so they could push people to game pass and then crank up the price of game pass.

$120 a year, BTW, is twice what gold used to cost.
I feel like the ultimate subscription for gold and game pass on PC and XBOX is worth the 15$ a month. Yeah, I'm paying more than twice what I used 5o for gold, but for years all I got was the ability to play games online I already bought.

The catalog is big enough that few people won't find something the like they wouldn't have otherwise had access too. And the additional discount during sales is nice.

I'm not aware of anywhere else I can get this sort of value for 15$ a month.

I feel like the ultimate subscription for gold and game pass on PC and XBOX is worth the 15$ a month. Yeah, I'm paying more than twice what I used 5o for gold, but for years all I got was the ability to play games online I already bought.

The catalog is big enough that few people won't find something the like they wouldn't have otherwise had access too. And the additional discount during sales is nice.

I'm not aware of anywhere else I can get this sort of value for 15$ a month.
Its all subjective, just like how youtubeTV for $70 a month may be worth it to some people.

For me, I cant justify $180 a year just to play some games. If I buy AAA games, its the collectors edition, usually for $30-40, $20 on sale. Even at $40 that's 4 AAA games and 1-2 indies a year just for the subscription, and you ahve to use live pass to access the stuff on top of it. I'd rather spend that money on software from GoG or at the least Steam, and honsetly I only buy 2-3 games a year at most, so it is in no way worth the price.

IMO live was always a ripoff even when it was $50 a year.

I would go for the $35 deal that gives me game pass for XBox, PC and a new Series X if it were available in my country.
Yep. And buy a mid range phone to help pay for it. I've been using a xiaomi something which cost $200 and is almost as good as the range toppers I had in the past (and kept losing).

Came to the comments to see the complaints and not disappointed.
Even at £10/$10 a month this is a steal, games are what, £60/$60 new now? For the price of 2 games a year you get access to hundreds, and loads of good ones. I know there is a niche that likes to own their games, but what does it matter if you're never gonna play them again? Or you can just subscribe again to play it again. Only reason to cancel IMO is if you don't use it.

Back