Xbox Play Anywhere set to launch on September 13

Jos

Staff

Microsoft announced Xbox Play Anywhere at E3 last month. The program allows participating games to be played on both Xbox One and PC when bought digitally, with season passes, game add-ons, in-game unlocks, achievements, save files and consumables shared seamlessly between the two platforms. Now the company has announced September 13 as the official kick off date for Play Anywhere along with a list of supported titles.

The service requires that you have the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update on your PC, which is expected to arrive in August, as well as the summer update on your Xbox One console. Only games purchased digitally will be eligible for the program, with the Xbox Store displaying a Play Anywhere logo in games that support the feature.

Microsoft is planning to bring all of its future first-party games to Windows 10 and Xbox One as part of the Xbox Play Anywhere initiative. ReCore, an upcoming action-adventure video game developed by Comcept and Armature Studio and published by Microsoft Studios, will be the first Play Anywhere title launching on September 13.

Notably, Play Anywhere titles will reportedly cost the same as a regular game, so you get to play on either platform along with any extra content you buy for it at no extra cost.

Check out the full list of supported titles so far:

• Gears of War 4
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • ReCore
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Scalebound
  • Killer Instinct Season 3
  • State of Decay 2
  • Ark: Survival Evolved
  • Cuphead
  • We Happy Few
  • Crackdown 3

Permalink to story.

And what if I bought Ark through Steam? Am I SOL?

Unlikely since it is not purchased from the Windows Store or the Xbox store or another secret Microsoft store that we are not aware off.

I don't like the fact that this feature is for digital purchases only. It should allow for you to play physical copies provided you can insert them in XBone or PC to verify that you have it. This digital only thing seems like an excuse to charge people a fortune for those games for as long as they are available for sale on there.

And what if I bought Ark through Steam? Am I SOL?

Unlikely since it is not purchased from the Windows Store or the Xbox store or another secret Microsoft store that we are not aware off.

I don't like the fact that this feature is for digital purchases only. It should allow for you to play physical copies provided you can insert them in XBone or PC to verify that you have it. This digital only thing seems like an excuse to charge people a fortune for those games for as long as they are available for sale on there.
On the plus side, I no longer have to stump up $300-$400 for another console just to play halo and forza. Thats a win.
Oh man, just imagining the possibilities of forge mode without the RAM and image limitations of an xbox sounds amazing.

How exactly are they "charging a fortune"? You buy the game at it's usual rate via the Windows or XBOX Store (I believe they're supposed to be come one store soon) and you get it on both devices. You're not being charged anything extra for it. I personally haven't bought a physical game disc in years, but one issue with physical copies is that they'd probably have to provide the buyer with some kind of redemption code and who's to keep you from giving that code away to a buddy who wants it on PC while your enjoy your copy on XBOX? Another issue would be resale of the game disc.

On the plus side, I no longer have to stump up $300-$400 for another console just to play halo and forza. Thats a win.
Oh man, just imagining the possibilities of forge mode without the RAM and image limitations of an xbox sounds amazing.
That assumes Halo ever makes it back to the PC beyond Forge and Wars - which I hope it does.

How exactly are they "charging a fortune"? You buy the game at it's usual rate via the Windows or XBOX Store (I believe they're supposed to be come one store soon) and you get it on both devices. You're not being charged anything extra for it. I personally haven't bought a physical game disc in years, but one issue with physical copies is that they'd probably have to provide the buyer with some kind of redemption code and who's to keep you from giving that code away to a buddy who wants it on PC while your enjoy your copy on XBOX? Another issue would be resale of the game disc.
Because it eliminates used game sale - not everyone buys on day one. It also eliminates Steam and GOG sales - I've yet to hear of the MS store having a video game sale to rival either Steam or GOG.

Because it eliminates used game sale - not everyone buys on day one. It also eliminates Steam and GOG sales - I've yet to hear of the MS store having a video game sale to rival either Steam or GOG.

Really? There's a Windows Store sale that started today LOL. Tomb Raider, Quantum Break & Gears of War Ultimate Edition are some of the titles included!

Really? There's a Windows Store sale that started today LOL. Tomb Raider, Quantum Break & Gears of War Ultimate Edition are some of the titles included!
I guess my point wasn't that they don't happen, but that they don't advertise them [that well]. Do the discounts match what you see put out by Steam and GoG when they have their sales?

Back