Xbox Project Scorpio to reportedly supersample on 1080p TVs

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft's upcoming Project Scorpio game console is primarily focused on delivering enough power for 4K gaming, however it will still provide significant benefits for gamers on 1080p TVs, according to a recent report from Windows Central.

In games that are updated or built for 4K gaming and Project Scorpio, those with 1080p TVs will reportedly see noticeable improvements to image quality compared to a standard Xbox One. This is because Project Scorpio employs supersampling technology, rendering games at a higher-than-1080p resolution before downscaling to 1080p.

Supersampling is the best form of anti-alisasing as it helps remove all forms of jagged edges that you'd normally see when rendering the game at your display's native resolution. Running supported games on Project Scorpio at 1080p will result in smoother edges and shadows, as well as increased sharpness.

Those with 4K displays will get all the benefits of Project Scorpio. Windows Central claims the console has a 4K Blu-ray player and supports HDMI 2.0a with Wide Color Gamut and HDR. A "sizeable lineup" of first- and third-party games will support "True 4K" resolution on 4K displays.

For games that aren't updated to support 4K, the extra horsepower in Project Scorpio will automatically run games better than the Xbox One, without needing to enable a 'Boost Mode' like on the PS4 Pro. According to this report, games that use dynamic resolutions will hit their target resolution more frequently on Scorpio, while frame rates will more consistently hit their target, resulting in fewer frame drops and stutters.

Windows Central also mentions that at Scorpio's launch, both the Xbox One and Project Scorpio will support Shader Model 6, a new API for shading that should improve efficiency on both consoles.

Project Scorpio will be released during the 2017 holiday period. The Microsoft Store already has a product page for Scorpio, although you can't pre-order or buy the console just yet.

Permalink to story.

Too little too late microsoft. This gen is just like the PS2 v XBox v Gamcube gen. Playstation has the market, and wont lose it.

As an aging PC gamer with a PC that can barely play games at 1440 with max settings....this seems like something I would be actually interested in investing in. I do not game nearly as much as I did even a couple of years ago, I mostly now use my PC as a media center.

Too little too late microsoft. This gen is just like the PS2 v XBox v Gamcube gen. Playstation has the market, and wont lose it.

I think gamers are more fickle than you realize, and a lot of them are happy to own multiple consoles. Anyone who jumped on the PS4 bandwagon early on is probably in a position where they're willing to invest in another console, and upgrading to PS4 pro isn't worth it.

As an aging PC gamer with a PC that can barely play games at 1440 with max settings....this seems like something I would be actually interested in investing in. I do not game nearly as much as I did even a couple of years ago, I mostly now use my PC as a media center.
Be carefull. If it's like some games for the PS4pro, then it will just be med/high setting at 30fps at a higher res, so your barely 1440p at max might be better than what is gonna be offered by Scorpio (that depends on your current gpu of course). If it's only your gpu that is problematic, then a small upgrade might be a better expense.

To be fair: Nintendo never really tried to show up to any of the console wars, it was mostly just Microsoft vs Sony.

The N64 just had the PS1 and Dreamcast as competition, and all had solid libraries of their own platform-specific IPs. There wasn't much competition (outside of fanboying) this generation. You bought based on which games you wanted, not which console you wanted.

The Gamecube faced the Xbox and PS2, but no one told Nintendo it was supposed to be a war until after it was over. While Sony and Microsoft tried to steal each other's exclusives, ending up with roughly interchangle titles in a lot of cases, Nintendo continued to lean on their own IP and essentially just continued to play in their own little corner while Sony and Microsoft were brawling in the middle of the room.

The Wii was a similar story. Nintendo knew it was a war this time, and made the conscious decision not to fight it. Or at last not fight it the same way that Microsoft and Sony were, with graphics.

The Wii U did nothing to differentiate itself from the Wii, and so was a flop even without competition. The Switch remains to be seen, but the initial sales and reviews seem promising.

Now, whether Sony will hold onto their market or not remains to be seen. By the time Scorpio launches, I think a lot of gamers will be ready for an upgrade. Most seem to be 'meh' about the PS4 Pro, and if Microsoft isn't overhyping Scorpio, Sony will have something to worry about.

Be carefull. If it's like some games for the PS4pro, then it will just be med/high setting at 30fps at a higher res, so your barely 1440p at max might be better than what is gonna be offered by Scorpio (that depends on your current gpu of course). If it's only your gpu that is problematic, then a small upgrade might be a better expense.
while this is a valid point, the current numbers (though its only in tflops, which is not at all a great guesstimate in performance) point to scorpio being substantially more powerful than PS4pro. (Not "4k 60 fps across the board" powerful, before PC elitists start screaming at me.)

With all first part Xbox games coming to PC I see no need to buy this. My PC will always be more powerful and run games better than the console counterpart.

I think gamers are more fickle than you realize, and a lot of them are happy to own multiple consoles. Anyone who jumped on the PS4 bandwagon early on is probably in a position where they're willing to invest in another console, and upgrading to PS4 pro isn't worth it.

I bought my OG PS4 on release, then upgraded to the Pro on release. I cant see anyone going from having an original ps4 to buying an xbox scorpio and alienating all their friends and ditchin all their current games and progress.

The pro is great, I have a nice 4k t upstairs but continue to play on my 1080p projector in the basement as its just too big to pass up. Game that support the pro always looks and run better in 1080 mode and now with Boost mode, games like gta 5 maintain their target framerate more frequently. I am happy with my "upgrade" and would only buy an OG xboz second hand if I wanted to play an exclusive, ie. Rare Replay.

while this is a valid point, the current numbers (though its only in tflops, which is not at all a great guesstimate in performance) point to scorpio being substantially more powerful than PS4pro. (Not "4k 60 fps across the board" powerful, before PC elitists start screaming at me.)
It's pointing toward rivaling with a fury X... Even if it's higher powered than a PS4, it's still far from a 1080ti/titanxp wich are now finally achieving 4k/60, but not more than that.
That's why I am still expecting 30fps (with the fact they will probably cut back on the cpu again) so when a game get something like upscaled 2560*1440p/30fps, or 3200*1800/30fps on PS4 pro, I expect Scorpio to aim for 3200*1800 or 4k/30, but certainly not true 4k/60.

Seriously. Stop hyping this machine on specs alone. What makes a console is not specs, but exclusives. Something Xbox lacks ALOT. Scalebound was the most anticipated title for Xbox, and it got cancelled. Quantum Break was hyped hard, and failed miserably. Same with Recore. Forza Horizon 3 gets boring after 2 hours. Microsoft needs to step up. Sony delivers so many exclusives on the PS4, and they don't disappoint. Halo is meh. FPS with a controller is just sad. Microsoft needs new and great IP(s) to be able to compete with Sony. They can't live on multi platform titles alone. Xbox marketshare is shrinking by the day because of this. But maybe Microsoft want's Xbox brand to die so they can focus on Windows 10..........

With all first part Xbox games coming to PC I see no need to buy this. My PC will always be more powerful and run games better than the console counterpart.

And this is why I bought a PS4 Pro with my 4K HDR TV. I already have a powerful gaming PC. The PS4 Pro is for exclusives alone and pure SP. HDR gaming is amazing. Horizon Zero Dawn is the best game I've played in at least 5 years. Bloodborne was also insanely good, 9.9/10. Uncharted 4 9.5/10. The Last of Us 9.5/10. And the best of it all.. Got the PS4 Pro and all those games for less than 500 dollars. Same amount I payed for my M.2 SSD for my PC haha.

Love how some ppl claim to have a power pc but are in here talking about a console especially one that is not even remotely good as a pc (ps4 pro), what a joke. No real pc gamer will ever use a console let alone try and claim he has a power gaming pc but uses a console.

Microsoft has always claimed that one day their console will merge with pc, which is what they are doing. Xbox will die and the PC will take over naturally as ppl want more, well that's what a pc does and Windows 10 like or hate it is what that is offering. You can play Xbox titles through your PC today. As time goes on, things get better and better.
Sony will never ever have that option, they can only be a console, nothing more. In the end, MS will win as they can offer a lot more.
Only ppl who'd even buy are all the fanboys as that is all that's left for them.

Thing is, you can't win from Microsoft. (I'm a PC gamer & Linux admin, read: no fanboy of Microsoft) They will only loose if they choose so. The amount of money they can blow at R&D is unlimited, it took MS ages to come with a decently stable version of windows, this is their 4th (?) console ? MS Doesn't care about games, but I'm pretty sure they want the media/center/netflix player/VR gimick market as google won't be defeated on the search engine market anytime soon. They can blow billions against it. Sony is struggling in a lot of markets (TV's, Receivers, a ton of blockbuster flops in the Movie dep. etc)

Some of us by multiple consoles from previous generations when they become affordable.

Having said that, failure rates of new consoles is definitely a motivator (all your bought games) to buy another unit of the console so why not why one with more bell and whistles. My PS1 was a robust machine and still functions. I ended up buying a slim PS2 after the fat one rolled over. Unfortunately, the same trend continued for PS3s which each newer version getting smaller (3rd one is chugging along so far). Now, I am a bit scared to buy PS4.

Currently Halo 5 is the only exclusive I am looking to play on Xbox, so until they get more games I would not make an investment.

Back