Xbox Series X/S brings in more money than every other console in Q1 2022

Tudor Cibean

Staff
TL;DR: In the US, the Microsoft Xbox Series was the best-selling hardware platform in Q1 2022 in dollars, while the Nintendo Switch led in terms of units sold. Sony's PlayStation 5 is trailing behind due to its continued availability issues. Meanwhile, overall spending on video games and gaming hardware is down by 8% compared to Q1 2021.

Consoles, just like graphics cards, have been plagued with sketchy availability and insane pricing because of the global chip shortage and scalpers. While the Xbox Series S and the Nintendo Switch have been easier to get for a while now, the PlayStation 5 remains as rare as ever.

Buying an Xbox Series X can still be an ordeal 17 months after its release, but the situation has been improving as the console can sometimes be found at its $500 MSRP at some retailers. As a result, Microsoft's sales have been soaring, with the Xbox Series X/S bringing in even more money in Q1 2022 than Nintendo's Switch lineup.

In terms of units sold, Nintendo still beat Microsoft, probably thanks to the lower price of the Switches combined with their more widespread availability.

Meanwhile, overall gaming hardware sales in the US reached $1.2 billion, a 15% decline compared to Q1 2021. The rising cost of living could be why many people are cutting down on discretionary expenses. Elden Ring continues to be the best-selling game in March, being followed by Gran Turismo 7 and Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Sony plans to relaunch PlayStation Plus in June to take on Microsoft's extremely-successful Game Pass. Hopefully, the PlayStation 5 will be more readily available by then.

Permalink to story.

The fact that the manufacturers still don't offer limited volume sales direct to customers tells you exactly how much they care about shortages.

Anyone who has a gaming-capable PC has no need for an Xbox. Though quick resume is nice, I'm sure. It would be cool if something similar could somehow be made to work on PC.

"Anyone who has a gaming-capable PC has no need for an Xbox."

And yet Xbox sales are soaring because most people see the ease of gaming on console more than gaming on a PC.....of course Microsoft don't care if you choose PC, Xbox or XCloud as long as you are not gaming on PlayStation.

Anyone who has a gaming-capable PC has no need for an Xbox. Though quick resume is nice, I'm sure. It would be cool if something similar could somehow be made to work on PC.
You can have both…consoles - be it the XBox or Playstation are a cheaper and easier way to play games at high resolutions, PC has other advantages.

Surprisingly the software company is performing like one.
Good for them. XBOX has had positive headlines for a long time so this is well deserved.

And yet Xbox sales are soaring because most people see the ease of gaming on console more than gaming on a PC.....of course Microsoft don't care if you choose PC, Xbox or XCloud as long as you are not gaming on PlayStation.
I'm gaming on steam deck (linux) and openSUSE on PC desktop, happy to see MS is cool with that;)
Xbox sales aren't 'soaring'. Simply ps5 is not available in shops, where XSS is everywhere and some people just loosing patience. Supply chain issues and chips productions limits made this gen of consoles really weird.

I can get an Xbox Series X for like 100 euros cheaper than a PlayStation 5 plus it has slightly better hardware and more space. Most of the games that I like are on Xbox as well as on PS5 and it has Game Pass. I feel like people don't know about Xbox, Playstation is thought of as "the" console.

That is laughable.

Not everyone wants to play every game on a PC. Hell even while I was playing the Halo Infinite I switched between xbox and pc a hand full of times. Sitting alone in a office away from everyone else in the house is nice sometimes. But I honestly enjoy sitting in the living room, playing the game while the wife and kids are nearby.

Visually the Series X matchest a pretty well speced gaming PC. I'm only rocking a 1080ti, but honestly I could be rocking a 3090 and I could care less. Graphics already look good enough for me, I'm no snob. I do however prefer the up close feel of a monitor in your face, and the mouse over a controller. I have a large living room, and even with a 75" TV the picture is barely good enough for my distance. And I despise people who roll out desk chairs into their living room to get a better view.

Simply put, when you got the money for it. Buying every console is not even an issue. Consoles are cheap, they work well in the living room. And the more games that support moving between console and PC the better. If you want to talk expensive, go to the dentist.

Today isn't like how it was back in the 360 era, where the only way to get high FPS and high resolution was going PC.

Many people chose a single console to play, and the xbox IMO is the best choice. Gamepass alone makes the case. That and the vast backward compatible library with enhancements. If you are looking for a single planform to simply play great games, regardless of era. Xbox will do it for you. Otherwise PC is the answer, and growing up broke piracy on the PC allowed me to play games I simply would have never played. Gamepass back then would have been mind blowing to me.

I can get an Xbox Series X for like 100 euros cheaper than a PlayStation 5 plus it has slightly better hardware and more space. Most of the games that I like are on Xbox as well as on PS5 and it has Game Pass. I feel like people don't know about Xbox, Playstation is thought of as "the" console.
Are you talking about store prices, or a second hand ones? Both XSX and PS5 are priced at 499 eur in nearly all the countries.
There is no actual difference in game quality due to hardware, what's more, often ps5 have better framerate / iq.
Less space on ps5 is often amended by modern games taking much less space on ps5 than on xsx. Not mentioning, you can just put any kind of fast ssd inside, which is much cheaper upgrade.
Most games I like are on PC, but PS5 simply deliver wonderful titles I can't really play on PC. So I'm happy to keep it and have access to games I would miss otherwise. But this one is just an opinion, if you find games available on XSX and not available on PS5 matching your preferences better, then obviously that's what matter. Unlike previous arguments.

Are you talking about store prices, or a second hand ones? Both XSX and PS5 are priced at 499 eur in nearly all the countries.
There is no actual difference in game quality due to hardware, what's more, often ps5 have better framerate / iq.
Less space on ps5 is often amended by modern games taking much less space on ps5 than on xsx. Not mentioning, you can just put any kind of fast ssd inside, which is much cheaper upgrade.
Most games I like are on PC, but PS5 simply deliver wonderful titles I can't really play on PC. So I'm happy to keep it and have access to games I would miss otherwise. But this one is just an opinion, if you find games available on XSX and not available on PS5 matching your preferences better, then obviously that's what matter. Unlike previous arguments.
I'm talking about second-hand stores since they are hard to find in retail. I was checking out Elden Ring recently which has slightly better framerate on XSX than on PS5. But ultimately games you wanna play will determine which console you'll get.

I was checking out Elden Ring recently which has slightly better framerate on XSX than on PS5.
hmm, but really ps5 have identical resolution and 10% to 15% higher framerate, unless there were some recent changes:

"If you not using VRR it seems PS5 is better option" - and with VRR support PS5 gets in couple of weeks this argument do not matter, PS5 simply have faster frames.

Add to this loading times (6 seconds on ps5 and 17 seconds on xsx) and slightly smaller installation size on ps5.
And again, it is fine if you enjoy Elden Ring on any system you have, but framerate is simply better on PS5, so you probably would like to check that again ;)

hmm, but really ps5 have identical resolution and 10% to 15% higher framerate, unless there were some recent changes:

"If you not using VRR it seems PS5 is better option" - and with VRR support PS5 gets in couple of weeks this argument do not matter, PS5 simply have faster frames.

Add to this loading times (6 seconds on ps5 and 17 seconds on xsx) and slightly smaller installation size on ps5.
And again, it is fine if you enjoy Elden Ring on any system you have, but framerate is simply better on PS5, so you probably would like to check that again ;)
PS5 does have a slightly better framerate, I watched the exact videos you linked but for whatever reason, I remembered it wrong.

Back