XFX 4890 temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

chase24

hi,
I bought a xfx 4890 1gb in u.s. and shipped here in Philippines. Now i'm worried about the temps. It's 60c when idle and 85c max while playing modern warfare. Im using a hp pavilion elite m9350f case that has a stock rear 92mm intake fan.

When I got the card and installed it right away and played modern warfare 2, it reached to 110c max temp. I figured that there's a tv tuner card in top of the gpu blocking the fan. So I remove it and take off the side pc casing. Now the max temp is 88c while playing modern warfare 2.

Since this is a replacement for my old 9800gt that didn't reach a year old because I play a lot of games. Can this xfx 4890 take that much heat? Should I buy new gpu fan? pci slot fan? or replace the stock case fan?

Is my card overheating?
Or it's just normal for this card to have those temps?

I just want my new card to have a longer life span.

Holy smoke! ur 9800GT didn't last a year?I have 9800GT too of MSI 512MB Oc edition.How did your card died?I need to take precaution cause i want it to last at least another 2 years.

I think your card is overheating.My 9800GT is 48 C at idle and reaches 70-72 C max after i used msi afterburner and set my fan speed manually 60-70% fan speed at load.i don't know how much 4890 heats up try using msi afterburner and use the fan speed setting to see if it over heats with 70-90% fan speed.

yeah shoeseat, my 9800gt is half dead. I can use it for desktop use but I can't play games with it. It must be a overheat problem. I googled the 9800gt and people says it overheats a lot. Also people gripes on Hp pavilion m9350f temperature problem because of poor case airflow.

I emailed the hp about my 9800gt and they're willing to replace it.

Thanks shoeseat for the msi afterburner advice. Because I don't use the ati ccc to crank up the fan.Why? Because I have to enable the option called ati overdrive and when you do that it also raise the memory clock like ocing it. But ocing my 4890 is the last thing I will do right now because of heat problem.

Also when I start up my system, I don't hear the fan of 4890 cranking up to 100% for 1-2 seconds which is my old 9800gt use to do. Is it a problem?

shoeseat thanks for suggesting that msi afterburner software. Im really looking for that kind of software.

Also when I start up my system, I don't hear the fan of 4890 cranking up to 100% for 1-2 seconds which is my old 9800gt use to do. Is it a problem?

I don't know is this really a problem or not.But if their is no sound and the temp is fine then it should be fine.check ur temp immediately after you start the computer.And yes my 9800gt also runs 100%(i think) 1-2sec and very loud when the computer starts.I think its the bios(video card,MB) problem which manufacturers have not setup correctly.I am glad that msi afterburner helped.

I just changed my XFX 9800GT and bought a Powercolor HD4890. The 9800GT is still working perfectly for over a year.

The 9800GT at 100% fan speed used to idle at 54c. The Radeon at 60% idles at 46c. At 95% it drops to about 43c. However, it's really loud. On load it doesn't go beyond 75c whereas the 9800GT used to hit 85-90 regularly.

Running at 100% speed should not really cause any problems barring noise. :)

top end temps for both nvidia and ATI gpu's is 110c ( according to them) that's what they will supposedly operate normally at. personally i think its entirely to hot. you can run your fan at 100% as most fans these days have a life expectancy of 60k-150k hrs. i would be more concerned with your case conditions and adding a fan if you can to improve airflow and get that 100c+ down into the 80'S

do you always run your card in 100% fan speed? will it not hurt the fan or lessen its life?

No i don't.It's 30-35% in normal and i can't hear the sound of the fan and my GPU is 46-49 C max at idle.I don't have good casing though.But on load previously when i am not using MSI afterburner, it use to be like 80C max.Now with my self defined profile in afterburner it will reach 72-73C(don't know exactly) on load with heavy games.I have set fan speed to jump to 77 when it reached 70 C.Afterburner really helped me to cool down my card.Hope it will last longer(at least another 2 yrs :D)

That does not sound like a case which is built to take a card like the 4890... The OEM cases are for low end cards and you really should think about getting a proper case with at least an exhaust fan! To be honest I'm surprised you managed to fit the card in there in the first place.

Also enabling ATI overdrive does not automatically overclock your card (if you leave the GPU/memory sliders alone).

You're in the Philippines right ? Whats the average daily temp and humidity level?
Where I live (New Zealand) the summer days average 28-34 Celcius (shade temp) and my HD4890 regularly runs close to 90 at max fan speed in a very well ventilated chassis.
ATI say the card is safe at these temps- let's hope so.
For comparison:
In the exact same enviroment and configuration a GTX280 runs at 78-80, swapping out the fan for a watercooling block lowers temp to 60-64.
It's a fact of life that air makes a poor heatsink, hot air even less so. A watercooling setup as I have on my X58 setup suffers on hot days as well as the radiator is less efficient at shedding heat in a hot and humid enviroment. Chilled watercooling is the only way short of phase change (TEC) cooling to maintain good temps in these enviroments- expensive to buy and requires regular maintenance, or buy the killer air conditioning unit and set it to "Freeze-the-nuts-of-a-Polar-Bear" setting

That does not sound like a case which is built to take a card like the 4890... The OEM cases are for low end cards and you really should think about getting a proper case with at least an exhaust fan! To be honest I'm surprised you managed to fit the card in there in the first place.

Also enabling ATI overdrive does not automatically overclock your card (if you leave the GPU/memory sliders alone).

Then imagine this, the stock card of this is 9800gt 513mb ddr3 which is not a low end card and also this card have heat issues like they said with 8800gt because they're the same.

The problem with this stock mini atx case is, it has a single intake fan in the rear which is close to the exhaust fan of my 4890. So hot air goes back in.

I just purchased a new corsair psu 650 for the 4890 and it has lots of extra cables added more heat but at least it has place inside.

I don't have budget for new case, but I can purchase new intake fan or maybe add a pci fan and mod the side case panel, drill holes in there and install a intake fan. I just need to know if how many connectors for fan my motherboard can handle.

You're in the Philippines right ? Whats the average daily temp and humidity level?
Where I live (New Zealand) the summer days average 28-34 Celcius (shade temp) and my HD4890 regularly runs close to 90 at max fan speed in a very well ventilated chassis.
ATI say the card is safe at these temps- let's hope so.
For comparison:
In the exact same enviroment and configuration a GTX280 runs at 78-80, swapping out the fan for a watercooling block lowers temp to 60-64.
It's a fact of life that air makes a poor heatsink, hot air even less so. A watercooling setup as I have on my X58 setup suffers on hot days as well as the radiator is less efficient at shedding heat in a hot and humid enviroment. Chilled watercooling is the only way short of phase change (TEC) cooling to maintain good temps in these enviroments- expensive to buy and requires regular maintenance, or buy the killer air conditioning unit and set it to "Freeze-the-nuts-of-a-Polar-Bear" setting

Yup Philippines, it's in above equator. The average temp here is 24c-31c and in my place it always 29c-30c, when it's summer it gets up to 34c and its too hot.
Since it's dec now, it's not that hot but I should be ready next summer.
You have high temps for your 4890. Ati told me also that 90c max temp is safe but beyond that will be a bad influence to the life span of the card.
My old card the 9800gt is a lesson learned that I should avoid those hot temps just imagine how hot 90c is, just touch the card and you can think that you can fry eggs with it. I always hear that cards nowadays can take even up to 110c but look what happened to my card. It didn't aged a year.
Looking for a chilled watercooling might be a problem here in my country. Computer components here it's not updated. That's why I had my components shipped from u.s. and I had to add more budget for the fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back