Xiaomi designated a 'Communist Chinese military company' by U.S. government

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? As Donald Trump approaches the end of his term, the president is putting the pressure on a Chinese giant—but this time, it's not Huawei. The outgoing administration has designated Xiaomi, the world's third best-selling phone maker, a 'Communist Chinese military company,' adding it to a blacklist that could force U.S. investors to divest.

As noted by Reuters, a 1999 law requires the Defense Department to compile a catalog of companies owned or controlled by the People's Liberation Army. The Pentagon has added 35 companies so far, including chipmaker SMIC.

Huawei is on the list, too, due to its telecoms infrastructure business that is worrying some governments.

Both Huawei and SMIC are also part of the US Commerce Department's 'entity list', which prevents American organizations from exporting to the blacklisted companies without a government license. Hence the lack of Google Apps and U.S. hardware in the latest Huawei phones.

The newly added companies will be subject to an investment ban that forces American investors to divest their holdings on November 11, 2021—assuming the Biden administration doesn't overturn the order.

Xiaomi, which was accused of recording users' incognito web browsing last year, currently takes the third-largest share of the global smartphone market, sitting behind number one Samsung and second-place Huawei, according to IDC.

Xiaomi, in a statement to The Verge, said that it is "operating in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations of jurisdictions where it conducts its businesses." The spokesperson contends that Xiaomi "is not owned, controlled or affiliated with the Chinese military, and is not a 'Communist Chinese Military Company' defined under the NDAA [National Defense Authorization Act]."

The company is reviewing the consequences of the designation before taking action.

Permalink to story.

Trump and the congress quietly passed the "Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act" while we were busy arguing on mainstream media about stupid stuff and it caused declines in stocks - namely my Chinese EV stocks (Nio, KNDI, XPENG, Li, etc.

But now that administration is outgoing, hopefully things start to turn around with the incoming administration. The reality is that The Chinese government is in on ALL of China's exports, and all we are doing is picking and choosing winners since NONE of them will ever allow themselves to be fully accountable by the US Government.

It's anti Free Market Crony Capitalism/ Corporatism at work.

Yet when the NSA does it, its also a good move?

Or when the CIA topples legit governments on other countries, because it doesn't fit with american ideals or interest, its also ok?

We certainly love our double standards.

The longer you live, the easier it is to see the double standards. The mistake America made was by letting our citizens enjoy the fruits of cheap Chinese labor for so long that now when the US Gov tries to take it away, we clearly see rising prices and reduction in variety.

Hua Wei is HUGE in Asia and South East Asia... because their prices are lower...they rival Apple and Samsung. America for some reason thinks that trying to marginalize Chinese companies and boycotting with 330 Million is somehow going to stop the other 6 Billion from patronizing them?

Hubris

China has been allowing Americans to live a quality of life that American's productivity never justified. America outsourced Trillions of dollars in inflation in exchange for cheap manufactured goods. Now you get "someone" who tries to start a Trade War against them?

Certainly wasn't gonna end well "for that person".

I have yet to see the government that is "without sin" and I doubt that day will ever come. The biggest difference now that did not exist 25 year ago .... unregulated, unrestricted Social Media where any and every possible crackpot has their own conspiracy theory.

Several decades when I was still in the game, we used to receive ratings of various risks and even back then products made outside the country or those with components that came outside the country were assigned a risk based upon how different threats might be directed toward the USA. Of course the general public never knew about it so the agencies were not forced to discuss it. We certainly cannot put the genie back in the bottle but the country could spend some time explaining this stuff and what it means to the average citizen. Of course that could compromise some of our methods and any kind of counter measures would be widely known as well so no matter how you look at it, it will always be a double edged sword.

Or when the CIA topples legit governments on other countries, because it doesn't fit with american ideals or interest, its also ok?

china has been in unconventional warfare against the west for 30 years, not just USA. This is one of the things USA is actually getting right! We are only waking up to this fact now.

They have been strategically destroying industries globally by using state funds to fund their companies to massively undercut the markets, destroy foreign business when they are then on their knees (or bought by chinese ccp state owned companies) and jack the prices back up to previous levels or more once they have the global industry cornered. This goes against their WTO signed agreement. Not surprising as CHina does not adhere to international agreements it signs up to and therefore can not be trusted. Check out British Steel or the EU tarrifs against china for these reasons.

Aside from that, all Chinese stocks should be delisted from all foreign exchanges, they do not reveal their accounts due to state secret BS, while other company listings must submit finance audits. For some reason, China is the only countrys businesses that get another unfair card. Their growth is not brought on by innovation, it is brought on by theft and unfair trade practices

I have yet to see the government that is "without sin" and I doubt that day will ever come. The biggest difference now that did not exist 25 year ago .... unregulated, unrestricted Social Media where any and every possible crackpot has their own conspiracy theory.

Several decades when I was still in the game, we used to receive ratings of various risks and even back then products made outside the country or those with components that came outside the country were assigned a risk based upon how different threats might be directed toward the USA. Of course the general public never knew about it so the agencies were not forced to discuss it. We certainly cannot put the genie back in the bottle but the country could spend some time explaining this stuff and what it means to the average citizen. Of course that could compromise some of our methods and any kind of counter measures would be widely known as well so no matter how you look at it, it will always be a double edged sword.
That is a terrible argument. "They're not good, so we can do whatever we want!". MCGA much?
There doesn't pass a month between the times these Beijing run corporations are caught doing something extremely undemocratic. Latest one was Huawei patenting the ability to stalk minorities in China.

Aside from that, all Chinese stocks should be delisted from all foreign exchanges, they do not reveal their accounts due to state secret BS, while other company listings must submit finance audits. For some reason, China is the only countrys businesses that get another unfair card. Their growth is not brought on by innovation, it is brought on by theft and unfair trade practices

The Last person who tried to fight China lost his presidency, 400,000 citizens and Trillions of dollars.

I don't pick fights with people who I owe money to. Especially when they outnumber me more than 4:1.

Every country (USA's NSA included) spies on each other. Even allies, even the 5-Eyes Alliance. This is nothing new, and nothing to be shocked about.

The CIA did to some terrible things in past administrations... many years ago. If we judged every country currently by their poor (and shady) decisions of the past, we'd have a perpetual world war. That logic is a common fallacy that wouldn't suit Germany too well, would it? Let's learn from the past, and judge from the present.

China has been allowing Americans to live a quality of life that American's productivity never justified. America outsourced Trillions of dollars in inflation in exchange for cheap manufactured goods. Now you get "someone" who tries to start a Trade War against them?

Certainly wasn't gonna end well "for that person".

I'd be careful with that opinion, it's flawed. America is the reason China became the manufacturing and production behemoth they are. Because of our economy, because of our need (wanton or not - irrelevant), and most definitely because we shaped world policy 30 years ago, after the fall of the Soviet Union.

China hasn't led their own charge into prosperity, nearly as much as the rest of the world (fronted by USA) has economically, politically, and socially allowed them to.

Every country has double standards, it's the reality of this world. As far as double standards go, if you want to pick one country in the world that EXCELS at double standards, only acting in their own interests, completely ignoring all international standards when it suits them, and careless about anyone but themselves.... it's China.

The Last person who tried to fight China lost his presidency, 400,000 citizens and Trillions of dollars.

I don't pick fights with people who I owe money to. Especially when they outnumber me more than 4:1.

There's a lot of mental gymnastics going on here but I know you constantly post Chinese CCP propaganda so not even worth debating with you.

Every penny you spend on Chinese products prolongs the Chinese communist regime. Ask the Hong Kong protesters, or the Uyghurs, to this day being beaten up, brainwashed, and even sterilized in the Chinese "re-education" camps, what they think of poor poor Xiaomi and all the other Chinese behemoths.

You need to start boycotting China at all costs. This state must be stopped.

Every country (USA's NSA included) spies on each other. Even allies, even the 5-Eyes Alliance. This is nothing new, and nothing to be shocked about.

The CIA did to some terrible things in past administrations... many years ago. If we judged every country currently by their poor (and shady) decisions of the past, we'd have a perpetual world war. That logic is a common fallacy that wouldn't suit Germany too well, would it? Let's learn from the past, and judge from the present.

I'd be careful with that opinion, it's flawed. America is the reason China became the manufacturing and production behemoth they are. Because of our economy, because of our need (wanton or not - irrelevant), and most definitely because we shaped world policy 30 years ago, after the fall of the Soviet Union.

China hasn't led their own charge into prosperity, nearly as much as the rest of the world (fronted by USA) has economically, politically, and socially allowed them to.

Every country has double standards, it's the reality of this world. As far as double standards go, if you want to pick one country in the world that EXCELS at double standards, only acting in their own interests, completely ignoring all international standards when it suits them, and careless about anyone but themselves.... it's China.

Well said!

china has been in unconventional warfare against the west for 30 years, not just USA. This is one of the things USA is actually getting right! We are only waking up to this fact now.

They have been strategically destroying industries globally by using state funds to fund their companies to massively undercut the markets, destroy foreign business when they are then on their knees (or bought by chinese ccp state owned companies) and jack the prices back up to previous levels or more once they have the global industry cornered. This goes against their WTO signed agreement. Not surprising as CHina does not adhere to international agreements it signs up to and therefore can not be trusted. Check out British Steel or the EU tarrifs against china for these reasons.

No actually the USA is failing miserably. Because USA think they are 95% of the world population and money they think their boycotts make a difference. This is just the usual islanders unable to see past their borders.

Meanwhile China is investing in 100's of other countries and using those investments to grow their own influence and wealth.
If USA could wake up and notice this and at least try copying the same strategy, it might stop being an island that means nothing to the rest of the world.
The only time the world takes notice is when it tries to swing around its giant military wang here and there - hardly good press for the country and no positive outcome since ww2.

No actually the USA is failing miserably. Because USA think they are 95% of the world population and money they think their boycotts make a difference. This is just the usual islanders unable to see past their borders.

Meanwhile China is investing in 100's of other countries and using those investments to grow their own influence and wealth.
If USA could wake up and notice this and at least try copying the same strategy, it might stop being an island that means nothing to the rest of the world.
The only time the world takes notice is when it tries to swing around its giant military wang here and there - hardly good press for the country and no positive outcome since ww2.

I am not from USA or in USA.

However, your argument is flawed, USA created the SWIFT system and literally own the global financial system in most if not all countries. USA Sanctions means even CHinese banks cannot help Carrie Lamb (Chief of Hong Kong) with a bank account as its too risky for them on a global scale. She has to get her salary in cash and hide it in apartments.

China over reached with its belt & road... its not making the returns and its investment has more or less stalled. Its most important element in Pakistant is less than one third complete.

The world is a much bigger picture that you dont seem to understand there...

To quote Kosh from Babylon 5, "The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."

I am not laying blame here, however, for the US, the door was opened to the dragon by Nixon. By the time any nation realized what was happening, like in the US, I bet that it was too late for any particular nation to realize that their economy had/has become dependent on trade with China; they realized that they were in bed with a fire-breathing dragon. Any attempts to throw that dragon out of the bed were just as bad if not worse than leaving that dragon in the bed along with the fires it starts.

The US learned this lesson once with Japan. As I see it, trade with Japan, Pre-WWII, enabled Japan to bolster its war machine and Japan employed that war machine to make aggressive actions toward Asia and the rest of the world.

As I see it, China has followed a similar path to that of pre-WWII Japan. It may be too late to stop the dragon. I work in an industry that has been adversely affected by the current administration's trade war. It has caused the company that I work for to abandon implementing an apprenticeship program that would have trained American workers for jobs that paid well.

Should the US stay in bed with the dragon? I do not know. What I do know is that the current trade wars have hurt our company. They have, IMO, also strained relations with China further. Perhaps we should be heeding Sun Tzu who said "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer." https://quotepark.com/quotes/1916099-sun-tzu-keep-your-friends-close-and-your-enemies-closer/

It will be interesting to see where US-Chinese relations go with the new administration. One thing for sure, though, is that it is undeniable that the US has become dependent on trade with China, and I doubt there is a way to turn back time at this point.

EDIT: I also think it prudent to point out that perhaps Nixon should have reflected on history before he normalized relations with China.

That is a terrible argument. "They're not good, so we can do whatever we want!". MCGA much?
There doesn't pass a month between the times these Beijing run corporations are caught doing something extremely undemocratic. Latest one was Huawei patenting the ability to stalk minorities in China.

You need to go back and read my comment VERY carefully; you entirely missed the point and having lived and worked in China I think I'm in a better position than you to make the assessment.

Not shocked, simply stating the truth about that.

The CIA did to some is still doing some terrible things in past administrations... many years ago.

Fixed that for you.

If we judged every country currently by their poor (and shady) decisions of the past, we'd have a perpetual world war. That logic is a common fallacy that wouldn't suit Germany too well, would it? Let's learn from the past, and judge from the present.

Sorry, but that is a lame excuse to justify what we have done to others.
Talking about Germany, they did paid dearly both physically and in cash, lots of cash for what they did, have we?

I'd be careful with that opinion, it's flawed. America is the reason China became the manufacturing and production behemoth they are.
Well, mostly our corporations did that, they bribed, err, sorry, provided political constributions to the right hands and then ran to china, just for proift and to escape paying taxes.

Because of our economy, because of our need (wanton or not - irrelevant), and most definitely because we shaped world policy 30 years ago, after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Things that sadly, an empire will do.

This is pretty much a repeat of your previous comment, hence my reply applies.

Dont be a blind patriot. We pretty much invented the double standard.

Dont take my replies personal or as an attack, simply pointing out the flaws that I think are on your post.

If you want a country that really doesnt care for anyone, not even its citizens is us. All we care for is that our corporations are making as much profit as possible and we will destroy whole countries to make sure that stays that way.

You need to start boycotting China at all costs. This state must be stopped.

Thats the flawed mentality that plenty have.

You want to boycott China? start with the corporations that made that possible.

Perhaps start it with their biggest customer, Apple.

The sad reality is, both our corporations and government failed us in the pursuit of wealth at all cost, without looking at the consequences.

We no longer have factories, we no longer have a way to manufacture goods locally at the same level and price than China can.

The solution? I dont know, but it would help to re-invest back in our own country, but that will be hard, given that we literally have the best "government that money can bribe, err, buy".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the flawed mentality that plenty have.

You want to boycott China? start with the corporations that made that possible.

Perhaps start it their biggest customer, Apple.

The sad reality is, both our corporations and government failed us in the pursuit of wealth at all cost, without looking at the consequences.

We no longer have factories, we no longer have a way to manufacture goods locally at the same level and price than China can.

The solution? I dont know, but it would help to re-invest back in our own country, but that will be hard, given that we literally have the best "government that money can bribe, err, buy".

The solution is what Trump was implementing, you think they're building fabs in America for no reason. You think several steel mills have been reopened for no reason. no these terrorists had one goal entirely and that was to make it too expensive to import the goods from China long term. That's all about to be undone by the incoming administration of course, we will see these companies never complete their actions and we won't see American factory work return. Yeah it's been painful the last three years but it's been for the betterment of our country. Everybody voted for short-term gains instead of a long-term investment in America.

The solution is what Trump was implementing, you think they're building fabs in America for no reason. You think several steel mills have been reopened for no reason. no these terrorists had one goal entirely and that was to make it too expensive to import the goods from China long term. That's all about to be undone by the incoming administration of course, we will see these companies never complete their actions and we won't see American factory work return. Yeah it's been painful the last three years but it's been for the betterment of our country. Everybody voted for short-term gains instead of a long-term investment in America.
yeah but "tariffs on China" is simply a play of words, since all it does is to punish us the consumers.

You want a better solution? Undo whatever Nixon, Reagan and Clinton did.

Demand that the local corporations produce the goods locally.

Punish those corporations that do sh!t like this to avoid paying taxes, etc, etc.

But tariffs on chinesse goods is simply lip service and more money for the local goverment at the expense of us the plebs.

That logic is a common fallacy that wouldn't suit Germany too well, would it? Let's learn from the past, and judge from the present.

Guess what - that‘s what Germany has been judged on (and is judging itself on) until now, particularly in Europe.

And to be frank, I do not believe China has forgotten what was done to it dating back 200 years, which makes it rather ironic that the British govt was expecting favorable trade terms with China post Brexit.

Bet there are a fair amount of shipping containers arriving daily at US ports, full of tat to keep the clowns hotels and home up to standard!

Back