Xiaomi launches a huge 100-inch 4K TV in China for $3,150

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: In a recent hardware event, Xiaomi launched a couple of Redmi-branded phones, a Wi-Fi 6 router, and the Redmi Book Pro 15 laptop. Joining them was the company's largest TV to date, the Redmi Max 100; a behemoth 4K LCD TV measuring 100-inches (2,540mm) diagonally, and equipped with a 120Hz refresh rate, Wi-Fi 6 and quad-speakers.

The Chinese TV market has been getting interesting lately, with Hisense bringing a 65-inch 4K HDR model to the table for $865, and now Xiaomi announcing the bigger, more expensive Redmi Max 100 that's soon launching locally for 19,999 RMB (~$3,150).

Xiaomi says the TV's thin metallic frame results in a high 95 percent screen-to-body ratio, while the 10-bit panel sports HDR10+, 120Hz MEMC refresh rate, 700 nits of peak brightness, 94 percent DCI-P3 coverage, and is IMAX enhanced.

There's also support for AMD FreeSync, Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos, and three HDMI ports, only one of which is the newer 2.1 spec (for next-gen console gaming). Audio, meanwhile, is helped by DTS-HD support and 15W speakers. It runs on Xiaomi's MIUI software and is powered by a quad-core SoC with 4GB/64GB memory and storage configuration.

Other newly launched Xiaomi products include the MediaTek-powered K50 Pro and K50 phones with 2K high-refresh rate displays, while the K40S is a slight revision of the regular K40 with faster charging support being the main highlight. Xiaomi also launched a new MacBook and XPS rival, the Redmi Book Pro 15.

This sleek, Windows 11 laptop sports an aluminum-alloy finish and packs either a 12th-gen Core i7 or i5 chip, with an iGPU or RTX 2050, 16GB RAM and 512 gigs of PCIe 4.0 storage. It also has a fast 90Hz 16:10 aspect ratio display with a resolution of 3,200 x 2,000 px, and a 72Wh battery.

In terms of connectivity, there are 2 x Thunderbolt bolts, 2 x USB-A 3.2 ports, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 3.5mm audio jack and an SD card reader. The base Redmi Book Pro 15 starts at 5,599 RMB (~$879) and goes up to 7,499 RMB (~$1,178) for the flagship model. An AMD 6000H-powered version is said to arrive later this year.

Permalink to story.

I have been waiting for the advent of the sub $1000 100" HDTV.

If China is able to do this now, chances are a 4K sub $1000 100" isn't too far away!

I'll have my tax return ready lol.

So many questions like: How do you ship something that's fragile, 2 meters across (Since 100" is about 2.5 meters diagonally so likely 2 meters across) but maybe just a few centimeters in depth? I'm not kidding when I say that if 2 people are holding it even a stiff wind might bend the thing in half let alone any other heavy boxes on the same delivery truck that would get plenty of chances of pressing against it's 2 meter wide spawn.

Once you even get it to a house, can it fit most doors? Can it fit on an elevator? You probably need the special one used to bring in furniture. Can it go up most stairs? Again this is like trying to move in a king size mattress except guess what? It doesn't matter if you bend those to get them through door frames, up narrow stairs, etc. This thing can positively never bend.

Great so you somehow got it inside a luxury apartment or home, now how far back you need to stand back until it's actually watchable? You would need to be at least 4 or 5 meters away to actually get the 4k effect.

Even for rich people this is so impractical as to be almost unusable: just get a high end projector at that point: you already need a small movie theater sized room anyway.

So many questions like: How do you ship something that's fragile, 2 meters across (Since 100" is about 2.5 meters diagonally so likely 2 meters across) but maybe just a few centimeters in depth? I'm not kidding when I say that if 2 people are holding it even a stiff wind might bend the thing in half let alone any other heavy boxes on the same delivery truck that would get plenty of chances of pressing against it's 2 meter wide spawn.

Once you even get it to a house, can it fit most doors? Can it fit on an elevator? You probably need the special one used to bring in furniture. Can it go up most stairs? Again this is like trying to move in a king size mattress except guess what? It doesn't matter if you bend those to get them through door frames, up narrow stairs, etc. This thing can positively never bend.

Great so you somehow got it inside a luxury apartment or home, now how far back you need to stand back until it's actually watchable? You would need to be at least 4 or 5 meters away to actually get the 4k effect.

Even for rich people this is so impractical as to be almost unusable: just get a high end projector at that point: you already need a small movie theater sized room anyway.

My Jeep SRT can fit a 60" inside and most big SUV can hold up to a 80" on the roof while your average pickup or Home Depot rental van can accommodate a 100" including the box.

Trust me: if you've got the money "freight shipping" can accommodate anything. I mean: they can even ship cars to your front door.

As for the internal dimensions of the home or apartment, I already know I could accommodate this in my front doors on either of my houses or fit it in either of my living rooms.

Excellent questions. Many people don't think about these issues when they buy big items.

I used to own an art gallery / art framing business. Some people wanted to buy over-over-sized framed art. But the moment I'd start asking them the above questions (especially: "Can this object go around corners in your rooms / staircase, etc??), they'd start to look very sheepish and quite embarrassed for not thinking about the obvious!!

Excellent questions. Many people don't think about these issues when they buy big items.

I used to own an art gallery / art framing business. Some people wanted to buy over-over-sized framed art. But the moment I'd start asking them the above questions (especially: "Can this object go around corners in your rooms / staircase, etc??), they'd start to look very sheepish and quite embarrassed for not thinking about the obvious!!
I've moved several times without the benefits of a moving company just a rental pick up truck we drive ourselves so I know things like having to bend a king size mattress to fit it through door frames and up a staircase and how most bed frames for king size mattresses actually come in 2 pieces so you can actually move them in since well you can't bend those.

I think sometimes people tend to lose touch with practical thinking if they don't ever need to think about it and the default is "Call a moving company they'll do everything for you" so not being able to afford to call someone for stuff makes you more handy.

The setting up phase seems to be the hardest part. As for moving out around, well the better choice seems to not move it around after installation.

We have come the long way, these huge tvs are getting cheaper and cheaper. Gents, When I have a house that can fit 100in tv, am buying the tv

We have come the long way, these huge tvs are getting cheaper and cheaper. Gents, When I have a house that can fit 100in tv, am buying the tv

My parents, in 2006, bought a 32" LCD tv, for I think it was around 1,000 bucks. Now, you can get a 60,70,80" one for around that or less. As the tech advances, the prices comes down.
Funny though, the smartphone "industry" continues to buck the trend of consumer electronics getting cheaper, per se, with each new version. ;)

LCD lol.
oled only way to go.
lighting zones on monitors epic fail. shitty contrast ratio...and shitty latency.
Oled rules.

Back