XML file to insert image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Walton

Hi

At my work we are in managed offices and have ID badges and we have made a custom image that we want printing onto the badges but the software that the company uses to print the badges is asking for an .xml file whereas we only have the image in jpg or bmp etc. does anybody know how I get an xml file for the image.

I've looked into it and from what i understand xml is just commands that tell a web page what to load like images etc. I just don't understand it properly. Any help would be great.

Thanks Joe

you need to discuss the details that the vendor is requiring -- no one can second quess this for you -- could be anything!

I don't know what the software is it looks custom made to me, basically they are credit card sized id badges like you get at a college, which get printed using a template that was on the software already, You can import a design to print on the badges so I went to import and it asks for an XML file.

I don't understand what an XML file is and how it can be used to put an image onto an ID badge, I just need some help understanding then maybe I can sort it out.

I don't know how I can explain it any clearer than that...

I understand your issue, but NO ONE can solve a vendor specific format issue --
you must get that information from the vender

Have you even seen XML?
Code:
<book>
  <title>The Zin of Motorcycle Repair</title>
  <author> ... </author>
  <publisher> ... </publisher>
  <isbn> ... </isbn>
  <toc>  </toc>
  <body>  </body>
  <index>  </index>
</book>
The XML grammar is used to describe content, not actions like insert.
There might be a tag for some picture but that's where it gets complicated:
Code:
<picture>
  <format>bmp</format>
  <filelocation> ...</filelocation>
  <picturetitle> ... </picturetitle>
it could also just as easily be something like
Code:
<graphic>
  <type>png</type>
  <source> ...</source>
  <name> ... </name>