XP Blue Screen (Page Fault in NonPaged Area) System Error Category 102

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lercher08

My computer has been experiencing a few blue screens lately. It’s always the same one. The error message is “Page Fault in NonPaged Area. I have already ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic and no errors were reported. I have also run the Windows hard drive diagnostics on both my internal hard drives. The hard drive diagnostics also showed no errors. My computer’s OS, video drivers, and hardware/software have the latest updates. Can someone please help me with this error? I have attached a dxdiag report. Also, below is the System’s event log for the error that I am getting. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 10/4/2009
Time: 12:20:58 AM
User: N/A
Computer: GREGDESKTOP
Description:
Error code 10000050, parameter1 e8bb2000, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 8ad763de, parameter4 00000001.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 35 1000005
0020: 30 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d 0 Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 65 38 eters e8
0030: 62 62 32 30 30 30 2c 20 bb2000,
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 00000000
0040: 2c 20 38 61 64 37 36 33 , 8ad763
0048: 64 65 2c 20 30 30 30 30 de, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 31 0001

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    62.9 KB · Views: 9
0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

As you can see that by the above definition your issue can be several things. Please give us your hardware specs such as motherboard make and model, amount and type of RAM installed, etc. In addition tell us the security software you are running.

Have you downloaded/installed any software lately? Changed out any hardware?

Are you doing anything specific when these BSODs occur or are they random?

I am sure you will be googling 'System Error Category 102' and will find the advice to download and run memtest86 for some hours. It can also be a rootkit infection, for which you should check this page https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Hardware faults are also possible, and your Dell will have a very full suite of hardware tests - either on a function key when you boot up, or on a bootable CD supplied with the PC.

If you check c:\system\minidump you can upload the most recent minidump for the more expert amongst us (not me!) to examine. With luck, these things actually point to a peice of hardware which you can RMA to Dell.

Hardware Specs

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

As you can see that by the above definition your issue can be several things. Please give us your hardware specs such as motherboard make and model, amount and type of RAM installed, etc. In addition tell us the security software you are running.

Have you downloaded/installed any software lately? Changed out any hardware?

Are you doing anything specific when these BSODs occur or are they random?

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Hardware specs:
Mother Board: How do you find the make and model?
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Socket-T with Hyper-Threading (3.00 GHz)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 (1GB x 4)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 1GB
Sound: SigmaTel Audio
Network: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Hard Drive:
Drive: C: Total Space: 72.8 GB, File System: NTFS, Model: WDC WD800JD-75JNC0
Drive: G: Total Space: 953.6 GB, File System: FAT32, Model: WD My Book USB Device
Drive: L: Total Space: 239.4 GB, File System: NTFS, Model: Maxtor 7Y250M0
Other Drives:
Drive: D: Model: TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H292B
Drive: E: Model: _NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A

Security Software: Norton Internet Security 2009

I have not downloaded and installed anything in a long time. There have been no changes to my hardware.

The BSODs seem to be completely random. Most of the time, the BSOD occurs when I am not even on the computer. The screen saver has been enabled and disabled, but the error still happens. Every once in a while, I will click to open Internet Explorer and the error will occur.

With the randomness of your crashes I suggest at this time to run Memtest on your memory. I know you ran another program but it would be a good thing to use this test.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Two further comments on your setup

(a) Norton Internet Security is notorious for conflicts with XP, especially after SP3. A complete reinstall is worth trying, or bin it and use independant fierwall and anitvirus. Zonealarm and avast! are both good. For anti-spyware, Microsoft Defender is actaully pretty good.

(b) you find your motherboard by downloading any of several packages which give a full listing of your system. Examples are sisoft sandra freeware http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=news&location=2009_release_sp3&langx=en&a= or Belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/ctadvisor.html?B which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know !

Memory Test Done

With the randomness of your crashes I suggest at this time to run Memtest on your memory. I know you ran another program but it would be a good thing to use this test.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

I let the memory test ran all of last night and the next day. The test completed 15 passes and found no errors.

RAM Information:
Slot 0: 1024 MB DDR2 – 400 Kingston KCM633-ELC
Slot 1: 1024 MB DDR2 – 333 Centon Electronics JIYS38UXA 1GB
Slot 2: 1024 MB DDR2 – 400 Kingston KCM633-ELC
Slot 3: 1024 MB DDR2 – 333 Centon Electronics JIYS38UXA 1GB

Two further comments on your setup

(a) Norton Internet Security is notorious for conflicts with XP, especially after SP3. A complete reinstall is worth trying, or bin it and use independant fierwall and anitvirus. Zonealarm and avast! are both good. For anti-spyware, Microsoft Defender is actaully pretty good.

(b) you find your motherboard by downloading any of several packages which give a full listing of your system. Examples are sisoft sandra freeware or Belarc advisor which will tell you more than you ever wanted to know !

Thanks for the help.
I download Belarc advisor and this is what is said for Main Circuit Board.
Board: Dell Inc. 0X8582
BIOS: Dell Inc. A03 07/07/2006

Are you saying a complete reinstall of Windows XP or Norton?

I believe gbhall is saying Norton. As he rightly points out many people have issues with Norton. If you decide to uninstall keep in mind you'll have to then use their special Removal Tool for your version that Norton had to make special because even if you uninstall it the software leaves remnants of itself behind.

Yes, removal or reinstall of Norton is worth a try. However, now we know more about your PC....you have mixed Ram modules !! Did you run memtest on individual sticks as instructed, and all passed??. That would be perfectly normal, BUT they might not work well together !

I recommend you only use 2 of the identical ram sticks for a period of time (several days if nothing happens). 2Gb is really ample for XP unless you are into image/video manipulation in a big way. Even then, it will be worth while to run 2Gb for a period and see if the problem goes away. Obviously, try the other pair then too....

Also the 2006 bios is very likely to be out of date. If you feel capable, go to the Dell update site, key in your PC identity code and ask for the latest bios. Then install it according to the instructions given when you unzip the package.

Sorry, yet another point - Route44 asked you a very important question...what did you change just before the problems began? I am looking for 'added more ram' 'updated to SP3' 'installed norton 2009' and so forth. I see you claim no changes, but think hard !! Or did you lose power or maybe lock up and have to shut down with the main power button?

Sorry I haven’t responded. I thought I was supposed to get an email when someone responds to a post. I’ll go back and make sure that each RAM stick has an individual memtest ran on it. After that I wall pull the two 400 Kingston sticks. I will let my box run for a week and see what happens. I’m a motion graphic (3D/2D) artist for a local production company and I work from home two days a week. I have another computer that I will use for that week, so we can solve this problem.

I’ll check the Dell site to update my bios. I have done this several times before on many computers without any problems. The last time I checked which was not that long ago, I had the latest update.

If I still get the problems after this, I will uninstall Norton 2009 with the special removal tool.

If I am remembering correctly, I had this problem before I installed Norton 2009 and, I think, before I upgraded my RAM. I’m not sure about the SP3 update. The local power grid is bad about going off for a few seconds and then turning back on.

Thanks for both of your help. I really appreciate it. I’ll repost saying what happen after I complete all of the above stuff. I’m going to let my computer run for a week with only matching RAM, so my post should be in about 2 weeks. I’ll keep checking back just in case someone else makes a post.

Once again, thank you so much for your time.

Thanks

Yes, removal or reinstall of Norton is worth a try. However, now we know more about your PC....you have mixed Ram modules !! Is it the case that you ran memtest on individual sticks as instructed, and all passed. That would be perfectly normal, BUT they might not work well together !

I recommend you only use 2 of the identical ram sticks for a period of time (several days if nothing happens). 2Gb is really ample for XP unless you are into image/video manipulation in a big way. Even then, it will be worth while to run 2Gb for a period and see if the problem goes away. Obviously, try the other pair then too....

Also the 2006 bios is very likely to be out of date. If you feel capable, go to the Dell update site, key in your PC identity code and ask for the latest bios. Then install it according to the instructions given when you unzip the package.

Sorry, yet another point - Route44 asked you a very important question...what did you change just before the problems began? I am looking for 'added more ram' 'updated to SP3' 'installed norton 2009' and so forth. I see you claim no changes, but think hard !! Or did you lose power or maybe lock up and have to shut down with the main power button?

Sorry I haven’t responded. I thought I was supposed to get an email when someone responds to a post. I’ll go back and make sure that each RAM stick has an individual memtest ran on it. After that I wall pull the two 400 Kingston sticks. I will let my box run for a week and see what happens. I’m a motion graphic (3D/2D) artist for a local production company and I work from home two days a week. I have another computer that I will use for that week, so we can solve this problem.

I’ll check the Dell site to update my bios. I have done this several times before on many computers without any problems. The last time I checked which was not that long ago, I had the latest update.

If I still get the problems after this, I will uninstall Norton 2009 with the special removal tool.

If I am remembering correctly, I had this problem before I installed Norton 2009 and, I think, before I upgraded my RAM. I’m not sure about the SP3 update. The local power grid is bad about going off for a few seconds and then turning back on.

Thanks for both of your help. I really appreciate it. I’ll repost saying what happen after I complete all of the above stuff. I’m going to let my computer run for a week with only matching RAM, so my post should be in about 2 weeks. I’ll keep checking back just in case someone else makes a post.

Once again, thank you so much for your time.

If you have a poor local power supply, a good Uninteruptable Power Supply Unit is a must. Don't buy the cheapest either - you are looking for one that supplies power independant of the mains with the mains supporting the battery, not battery-backing the mains (a subtle distinction - perhaps you could research it - the main point is to be certain no mains spikes, overs or unders can possibly get through)

I have to say, if you had no UPS before, there is substantial possibiliity that you have actual damage to motherboard, chipset, memory or PSU. The only solution is test every component by replacement until you identify what is damaged. It could even be something you would not expect, such as a DVD drive. An experienced technician would start by removing absolutely everything not essential, then gradually adding things back until the problem resumes. Takes a lot of time and patience, but in the absence of test equipment, you have no other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back