XP C2 stop error (bad pool caller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys

I've been getting BSODs for a few days now and have been trying to figure out why (with help from reading these boards). I initially did a system restore to a few days prior to the issues and I thought that had done the trick, but the next day the crashes started again.

I've done Memtest, and things seem OK. I'm dual booting my laptop with XP SP3 (Media Centre edition) and Ubuntu, and Ubuntu doesn't crash - does that mean it's more likely to be a software issue?

I can't write much in this initial post since I want to post before it crashes again (this is the third attempt to post!)

I've uploaded the list of loaded drivers, today's events, and three of today's minidumps.

Will post more in a moment...

Well I'm glad I got the first post done, though a second longer post was just lost thanks to another crash.

I'll have to post a few short posts.

I attach the result of a dumpchk on the latest dump file I attached.

I notice in the event viewer the last two events before a crash tend to be:
"The Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service service was successfully sent a start control."
followed by
"The Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service service entered the running state."
Could that be relevant?

I've been shutting down Zone Alarm as I thought that helped at first, but not any more apparently. I'm running avast! antivirus if that's relevant.

Please could someone help me to debug this, as I'm tearing my hair out as each time I boot up to do some tests I'm up against the clock before the next BSOD! This is starting to remind me of my days running WIndows ME.

Cheers

If it's a driver issue, I think I should be able to work out which driver from the driver list I attached and the dump file. If that's right, please can someone explain how?

Here are my stats:
Dell Inspiron 6000
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor 1.73GHz
Motherboard: ? How do I find out on a laptop?
Ram: 1.25GHz
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon X300
PSU: How do I find out?

Apologies for the sparse info. Despite having built a few desktops in my time I'm not that familiar with laptops and am not sure how to find out what's in here without taking it apart and looking. It's always run fairly smoothly.

Apologies for spreading this over a few posts. I keep thinking I've given you all the info asked for, but then realise I gave it in a post I wrote but didn't post due to a crash.

I can't see any pattern of when the BSODs occur (other than in the event viewer as described previously). They happen whether I leave the PC running on its own or am surfing the internet.

You could have just edited your Original Post to add this Info.

When did you install Avast Anti-Virus?

I'm guessing around the time these crashes started because all MiniDumps you posted indicated 0xC2 errors which are caused by Buggy Software or Faulty Device Drivers they all cite the Avast Driver "aswSP.SYS" as the cause.

Try uninstalling Avast and downloading and installing AVG or Avira Anti-Virus from one of the links below.

AVG - http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe
Avira - http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/download_avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

Both are free versions, see if this clears the Bluescreens.

>>You could have just edited your Original Post to add this Info.

Erm, oh yes - apologies the tiredness and frustration bought out the imbecile in me!

>>When did you install Avast Anti-Virus?
>>
>>I'm guessing around the time these crashes started because all MiniDumps you
>>posted indicated 0xC2 errors which are caused by Buggy Software or Faulty
>>Device Drivers they all cite the Avast Driver "aswSP.SYS" as the cause.

>>Try uninstalling Avast and downloading and installing AVG or Avira Anti-Virus
>> from one of the links below.

>>[links removed as I don't have rights to post links]

>>Both are free versions, see if this clears the Bluescreens.

Avast has been installed for a while, though it frequently updates so maybe that broke something. I've uninstalled it and so far so good. When I left for work the PC was working OK so I'll see how my wife gets on today. Thanks for your help!

Shame, I've tried AVG and Avira and settled on avast in the end as the one I prefer. If my system stays stable for a while I may do a clean up, uninstalling everything I don't need and then try again with Avast.

Thanks again woody1191!

Well i've tried all 3, AVG, Avira and Avast for about 1-2 months each and then settled on AVG. I would list them like this in order of preference.

1. AVG - I found this easier to use than Avast and Avira.
2. Avast - Bit Better in terms of features and updates compared to AVG.
3. Avira - Mainly used for people who aren't as "Tech Sawy" but still a good Anti-Virus with Auto Updates.

Is Windows fully updated?
Yes good thought on removing programs and trying Avast again, if it doesn't cause Bluescreens when upto date again then something you may have uninstalled might have been the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back