XP Logins/Themes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregblade

Hi guys and gals,

I've been running my Asus laptop for 2 and a half years now and because of what Im like (i get bored of looking at the same thing all the time) im looking at downloading some of the different interfaces for XP i.e. the different login screens and themes.

I just wondered what people thought about it on here. Obviously I dont want to slow the system down nor do i want to download anything that can do damage. So I just wondered whether people think its worth doing? and if so, wheres best to do it from? I found some quite nice looking themes by just google searching for "Xp themes"

Regards

gregblade

Go to Control Panel > Display > Themes

If you want to download other themes from Microsoft, then just find an offical theme, download it, and open the exe. It will install automatically.

If you want to use aftermarket theme, you will probably need to patch up "uxtheme.dll" which is explained how to do here. After you patch the file, you can find lots of themes at places like DeviantArt.com or Wincustomize.com

There are also programs you can use like WindowBlinds or LiteStep, but they cost money.:(

Windows XP BOOT/LOGON Screens

Hi, it is good when you change you're windows configuration such as boot screen and logon screens.

But be aware in doing this if you do it wrong you could stop you're computer from booting up.

I used to use this website:

themes.belchfire.net/themes.html

It tell's you if it is compatible with you're Windows and also how-to-install the boot screens it also has a utility on there that will do it for you.

Please let me know what you think.

John

Thanks for the advice guys.

There are some quite nice looking themes etc on there. Im at work at the minute so i'll look into it more when I get back home.

Im abit put off by the "if you dont install it correctly you might not be able to boot your laptop up" as im not the best when it comes to altering Windows settings. Any further advice on that matter would be much appreciated. Again, thanks for the advice.

gregblade

Boot/Logon Screens

If you use the utilities provided on the websites you're computer should run fine.

They tend to only go wrong if you try to do it manually. So stick to the utility.

John

yo gregblade

Most XP themes are compressed into ZIP files (to the best of my knowledge).... make sure you scan thoroughly after downloading from the web as ZIPs tend to contain viruses many a time.

As for applying the theme to Windows, i use a program called TuneUP Utilities.... works pretty well and has some other useful functions.

good luck

Spyder_1386 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back