XP random restarts and freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimchip

Hi, my PC is restarting randomly and sometimes it just freezes. BSODs are off so I haven't been able to see what's causing it but I was able to extract a debuglog from a dump after reading one of the threads in this board.

Please help!

In the Debug Log you have a 0x8E error these are almost always Hardware errors. Since it occurred while you were running WOW i would suspect RAM or the Graphics Card being faulty.
Try running Memtest86 for 3-5 hours (Minimum Of 7 Passes) or Overnight which would be better.

Download the Memtest pre-built ISO from the link below and burn it onto a CD using ISO Recorder also on a link below. Then boot off the CD and let the test take over. If it lists any errors in the test you need to buy new RAM.

Memtest86 - http://www.memtest.org/
ISO Recorder - http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

I don't read debug logs but here is a possibility: IF you have an AMD processor and IF you installed the SP3 update for Windows XP, that can be the cause. If you can set a time line for the problem beginning after that download and install (KB936929), uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

The combination of an AMD processor and the SP3 update has caused well-documented freezes and reboots.

From a security standpoint, if you got SP1, SP2 and the updates since, you don't need SP3.

Ok i left the test running for 7-8 hours and here are the results:

Walltime: 8:00:27
Cached: 1023M
RsvdMem: 864k
MemMap: e820-Std
Cache: on
ECC: off
Test: std
Pass: 26
Errors: 6
DCC Errs: 0

Tst: 6
Pass: 3
Failing Address: 00012e81d24 - 302.0MB
Good: 00008000
Bad: 00008002
Err-Bits: 00000002
Count: 1
Chan: (this one was empty)

Is it safe to say that my ram is bad? I have 2 sticks should i test them independently?

I recall running this test before, and giving me the same errors but it never had my PC restart when playing games until about 1 or 2 weeks ago. I've had this PC for about 4 to 5 years.

The failing address is 302MB so that means it is your Second Card that is faulty. So try to work out which is the second RAM card take it out and then try running the comp.

I'm guessing you may want to replace the RAM or maybe get the max amount your system could use. If you post your Make and Model of comp we could point you in the right direction and also maybe tell us which country your in so we post a website for that country.

I tested both sticks and found the one that had errors. Removed it and replaced it with a friend's stick. My PC froze within one minute of me starting the game. I'm fearing it is the video card, which would suck cause I don't really feel like replacing this AGP card on this old PC. Could it be a driver issue? I know WoW was updated recently and that could be connected to the problem...

I will test this replacement stick though, just in case its also spewing out errors. I haven't experienced restarts yet though because I'm just posting 10 minutes after i replaced them, so I will let you know.

Thanks for the help.

Was your friends stick identical to yours, like say for example 512mb, same manufacturer, same bus speed etc. It is best not to mix RAM on a comp. Try running 1 of the RAM cards on its own
I found that out to the peril of may HDD, i'd put two different makes of RAM in and about 2 weeks later my HDD packed in.

I doubt it would be a driver issue since the 0x8E error which you had is associated with Hardware. But it would hurt to try updating the Drivers, you could also try running the game without the Graphics card in.

I don't have a built-in vid card though.

However, the PC didn't crash until at least an hour of gameplay (when I had the other stick on)
The ram isn't the same manufacturer though but it is 512mb and should be the same bus speed. The PC boots up just fine and like before I'm able to leave it idle overnight without problems. I haven't tried the game but I will later today. I also ran memtest and there were no errors.

Oh just read my post before again noticed i missed something should have put the part in red on as well.
I doubt it would be a driver issue since the 0x8E error which you had is associated with Hardware. But it wouldn't hurt to try updating the Drivers, you could also try running the game without the Graphics card in.

Sounds like the RAM is ok now will wait and see if you can run the game ok now.

Ran the game a second time, it loaded and restarted the pc... ran it a third time and left it idle and its still running after a couple of hours.

Could a sound card make this error happen? I'm wondering because when it restarted like i said above I had ventrilo on, but after hours idle in the game without it on it has been fine. Perhaps being idle is not the proper way of testing for crashes though... so i'm wondering if there is any way i could test my vid card some other way (or the motherboard and/or soundcard). I should mention that i had lost sound on my on-board sound card about a year or two ago and I installed an old old sound card that is working fine as far as sound is concerned.

It is possible for the Sound Card to cause crashes.
So when you run that program it crashes the system but when you don't it runs ok.

Try running the Game and play it not just idle without that program running, this might confirm that either the sound card or that program you run is at fault.

On the last crash i switched the ram up to other spots which might mean i dont have dual channel enabled anymore, but so far I haven't been crashing. We'll see if it lasts and if that's the case then the motherboard is the culprit.

your graphics card could also be the problem. you said the comp freezes while playing the game. Maybe the program requires way more that your graphics card can handle. Did the manufacturer of the game provide any info about system requirements? Check the requirements provided by the program manufacturer.

Ive been playing the game for at least 2 or more years with this same graphics card so I highly doubt it can't handle it.

have u thought that the card might be getting old and worn out? I have yet to see anything that cannot breakdown.

I have to say it is looking like the Graphics Card now did you try taking the Graphics Card out and running the game like i suggested earlier in the thread.

What Graphics Card do you have?

I took it out and cleaned it with duster and put it back in... the fan is working and everything. I have a Geforce 7800 GS agp.

I don't have any other replacements for a video card and there is no on-board video so I can't run the game without it let alone run Windows, unless I'm mistaken.

Sorry for the delay.

And yes, I have been suspecting either the motherboard or the video card are to blame.

I thought all Motherboards had On-Board Graphics of some sort, they normally use some of the RAM to run, i think you do need some sort of Graphics normally something around 8mb to show your Background and Icons. But just try running a game maybe on the lowest settings without the Graphics Card In, the RAM and Processor will compensate for the missing Graphics card.

You could also try checking your temps using something like Speedfan or Everest Home Edition.

Temps are fine, i've been checking them out through out the whole week. I've been freezing/restarting with CPU temps at 40-50 C and GPU temps at 60-70C. I might have a friend with an agp graphic's card that I could borrow.

I tried installing this card (geforce 4600 Ti) and the PC restarts midway through the driver install. I made the necessary precautions by running driver cleaner on safemode before installing the new drivers so I don't know what's up.

Try testing your HDD using your Manufacturers test which is usually on the support section of their website and post the results of this test.

Also try running Prime95 on all 3 tests and post the results.
Prime95
32bit OS Version - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103
64bit OS Version - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Have you tried removing the Sound Card and running the Comp?

You might want to back-up any important data onto a External HDD or CD. You might want to try a format after you have tested the CPU and HDD.

After this there's only the PSU and Motherboard left.

Assuming you meant the Stress/Torture tests.. I ran the first 2 (Small FFTs, In-Place Large FFTs) and got restarts after a minute or two. The third test ran for a bit and then gave me an error "instruction could not be read". I put the old ram stick back so that might be the cause? Either way what do the first 2 restarts mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back