XP Randomly Switches Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith22

Okay, heres my problem. Say I have 2 windows up in XP. Sometimes when I go to switch to a different window (infact, all the time) or minimize both windows, after I minimize the second window, the first one will pop back up for some reason? Once I minimize it again it stays down and stuff but it always switches to an active window or something. Its kind of hard to explain I guess, hopefully you guys have heard of it or are familiar with a setting that might be off or something? Let me know whats up, Thanks.
Keith

Okay, I suspect you're launching the browser whenever you want a new Window- unless you use a browser with tabbed browsing. So first, tell me what browser you have and the version. Second, when you refer to Windows, are you referring to two or more "browser" Windows, as in either launching IE twice or opening a New Window on a link from a page you are on, by using a right click?

Do you know how to tile Windows?

I have internet explorer 6.0 I believe. I didnt like 7.0 so I stuck with 6.0. When I refer to windows, im referring to two or more "browser" windows as if I opened IE twice.

Im not sure why tiling windows is though. Thanks for the reply!

Some terminology to start....

"Window focus" is a term meaning which window is "focused" on receiving your current input stream. You'll sometimes hear someone use "cursor focus" meaning the same thing.

In XP, legit applications or even non-legit apps (i.e. malware) can steal your Window focus but there are a couple things you can do. Download tweakui. It's a tool that let;s you "tweak" the user interface. One option prevents apps from stealing window focus! Also search for malware. Stealing window focus can be a symptom (tho many other things can do it as well)

/*** Edit ***/
Ooops. And here's the link to Tweak Ui for XP

Keith, tiling Windows is a handy way to have open Windows showing on the screen at the same time. To do this:

Open all the Windows you want to display-don't need to Minimize them> right click on the Taskbar> check 'tile vertically'. Now, if you have two Windows open, they will appear side by side. Whichever Window you click on becomes the Active Window. As soon as you click on the other Window, IT becomes the Active Window. On a reasonably sized monitor, you can tile as many as 4 Windows and have them showing on the monitor which will be divided into 4 sections.

The main thing you have to remember about 'tiling' is that when you are finished, right click on the Taskbar> check 'undo tile'. If you don't do this and just close the Windows, when you open them again, they will be the 'tiled' size.

You can also tile horizontally, but I find it isn't nearly as satisfactory.

Once again, thanks for the comments. I tried to tile windows like you said and it worked but I think I am just too used to the way things are, switching from window to window on full screen. Lookinaround, I may try your UItweak tool but if it doesnt work then im pretty much still lost. Im thinking of making a video somehow to show you first hand what it does because its quite hard to explain. Thanks guys!

* EDIT ******************************************

The tweak tool seems to have worked! Thanks alot. One more question, do you know if the setting will be saved forever or will I
have to continuously keep changing it every time I restart my computer?

"I think I am just too used to the way things are,"- never be afraid to try something new! You never know how much you might like it! But if TweakUi works for you, okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back