XP Reboots periodically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is a redundanr thread but my Dell XP machine was just reformatted and reloaded with all OEM drivers and software. Seemed fine for a few days. Recently it reboots without warning, up to 3 times an hour and afterwards the standard MS "Report this error" windows pops up. I feel I need to post the event logs to narrow this issue down but am not familiar with the protocol in this forum.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks!

Do you get a message similar "Windows has shut down your computer to prevent a serious error"?
You should post event logs-it would help. If you are unable to post, just manually copy the last several events in the viewer which lead to the shutdown and paste them in your post.

By the way... welcome to Techspot:D

Thanks for the welcome Strategic! I am actually troubleshooting this error remotely. I have not seen the behavior in person but the system log (attached) seems to confirm it. I did see the MS error window once when I logged on. I am defragging the drive right now but let me know if anything else would help.

BTW system log file was renamed to .txt from .evt per the recommended file type blurb.

BR

Welcome to TechSpot. I would suggest that since you are in direct touch with the problem PC, it would be quicker for you to type 'random reboot' into the search box at the top right of this site. The resulting list - of several hundred - similar problems can give you plenty to work with, and you can refine your search once clues start to appear.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that you can sort or otherwise prioitise the simple search facility on here, but if you look at the second line of tabs, there is a drop-down search with a clickable line for 'advanced' search, which will be most suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back