Yahoo's 30 days of change campaign will end with new logo design

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Yahoo on Wednesday announced plans to introduce a new logo next month. But rather than keep everyone waiting for the big reveal, the company said they will display a variation of their logo on their homepage and through their network in the US each day until the big reveal.

In a blog post on the matter, Yahoo chief marketing officer Kathy Savitt noted the renewed sense of purpose and progress at the company over the past year.

Truer words were never spoken as Marissa Mayer and company have scooped up more than 20 talent and technology-related acquisitions since the Google veteran took over the troubled Internet pioneer. The highest profile acquisition thus far has been of blogging platform Tumblr which cost Yahoo $1.1 billion while the most recent was Rockmelt, a social web browser startup that’s been around for the past five years.

The new logo is said to be a modern redesign that is more reflective of Yahoo’s reimagined design and new experiences. It will preserve some of the character that is unique to the brand which means it will retain the same purple color, the iconic exclamation point and the famous yodel.

The 30 days of change campaign is Yahoo’s way of having some fun while honoring the legacy of the present logo and warming everyone up for the final design. The official new logo will be revealed on September 4 at 9pm PST (or September 5 depending on your time zone).

Permalink to story.

Im confused about the originality of using straight lines and basic arcs to make a logo. its annoying to look at, difficult to read, and, above all, indistinguishable. I hope thats not reflected in what the new logo actually is.

I guess the same thing could be said about their new layout too. On top of the bad journalism I dont even know why I still bother with yahoo.

The reason I don't use Yahoo! is because there's nothing wrong with Google. Even if they somehow improved I will stick to Google. You know...If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Change to Ya! or YaNow! and drop the Yahoo! Do they even know what a Yahoo is? I think not.

Who in the world cares about Yahoo's logo? Its "chief marketing officer" and her drones perhaps, but no-one else gives a damn. And the only thing they're good at is stripping conventional meaning from words such as renewed, sense and purpose.

Corporate ballyhoo!

The reason I don't use Yahoo! is because there's nothing wrong with Google. Even if they somehow improved I will stick to Google. You know...If it ain't broken don't fix it.
There's nothing wrong with Google but there's nothing great about it either. I'll switch to Yahoo! if I find it worth it. A change is as good as a holiday.

Like other corporate logos, it'll probably be some boring sans-serif typeface that has no soul. Their new Mail is slow and broken. What is Yahoo! going to destroy next?

We haven't seen it yet. I'll reserve judgement for when I finally see it.
Oh so those are just designs. I thought they decided on that plain one. If so, it is just another bland logo. This is the same logo situation that occurred with Spotify. They went from a fun logo to a boring, "serious" logo.

Oh so those are just designs. I thought they decided on that plain one. If so, it is just another bland logo. This is the same logo situation that occurred with Spotify. They went from a fun logo to a boring, "serious" logo.

Going from flashy to plain seems to be the fashion, not that Yahoo!'s logo was ever flashy. I like what Marissa Mayer is doing with Yahoo so far.

Just changing fonts isn't exactly breath-taking news. It seems like they're trying to imitate Google's success with their "Doodles," but without the unique and entertaining games, music, and animations they often contain. Meh - I still use Yahoo! for mail, and I sometimes look at the news, but just putting up a new font every day is, well...un-yodel-worthy.

Half related: I'm giving up on Yahoo mail. First, their service sucks. It even sucked when I had a paid email account. Once I had to change mail servers, and my mail client just found an empty inbox. I had to get my old emails from a backup. So I gave up on the paid account, but even free, Yahoo is not worth the price. And since they also aren't really protecting my email, I'm giving them the boot. It'll be a PITA, since I've used that account for at least 15 years.

And no, not "good luck to them". Yahoo's plan is more and more to produce hot air and leech on the masses.

Back