YaTube? Yahoo reportedly planning to launch its own Youtube competitor

Himanshu Arora

Staff

If rumors are to be believed, Yahoo is planning to launch a YouTube-like online video site in the next few weeks. The key difference would be that it won't be a free, open platform for everyone, as content would be cherry-picked by the company. According to a Re/Code report, Yahoo has been working on a plan to attract YouTube stars and networks to show their stuff on the portal.

Many content producers and owners have had complaints related to their earnings on YouTube. As per the report, Yahoo is planning to take advantage of this by offering them better economics either in the form of improved ad revenue or through guaranteed ad rates for their videos. In addition to this, the company is also offering stronger marketing, including the possibility of being featured on Yahoo's home page itself, even if the video is not exclusive.

Yahoo might consider opening up the platform to everyone in the future, the report notes. While some believe that the company might develop it's own content management system, others speculate that it might just gobble up an existing service like Vimeo. Last year, the company tried to buy a controlling stake in Dailymotion, but the deal didn't go through.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, this doesn't come across as a particularly good idea. I'm sure pretty much everyone will share the same gut reaction.

It's hard to imagine that this will work out, just because YouTube is so engrained. That said, I really hope it does gain traction, because we need a solid YouTube competitor.

It's hard to imagine that this will work out, just because YouTube is so engrained. That said, I really hope it does gain traction, because we need a solid YouTube competitor.

A real competitor to youtube is one that allows you to edit the HTML/CSS or just CSS of your channel and allowing you to earn a bigger share of the revenue which I think unique channels will really take off.

This just sounds like a internet based TV channel....

Might work if they have enough money. We all know there are enough content providers that will happily switch platform. I do hope they implement a better commenting system.

Might work if they have enough money. We all know there are enough content providers that will happily switch platform. I do hope they implement a better commenting system.

A closed off youtube competitor isnt a competitor at all lol, the great thing about youtube is its openess without it youtube wouldnt be as big as it is now.

Agreed but YouTube is open and free. If Yahoo! offers a similar thing, great. I'd never pay for anything (and I think I speak for most normal people) I can rather get free.

Well, if it weren't a free service, it wouldn't really be a competitor, would it? ;)

Well, this new CEO has bought a whole bunch of 3rd party apps, now wants to start their own version of YouTube (good luck with that!), and in the end, all we have is still a crappy Yahoo! service. This isn't going to end well...

Agreed but YouTube is open and free. If Yahoo! offers a similar thing, great. I'd never pay for anything (and I think I speak for most normal people) I can rather get free.

Well, if it weren't a free service, it wouldn't really be a competitor, would it? ;)

The service will be free but no one except a few exclusive people can upload it which makes it like a TV station you can watch it but you cant add anything to it basically its useless unless its open.

Think of it more like a free version of Netflix you can watch it but you cant choose what you want to add to it and you cant add anything to it except your login details lol.

I'm feeling a strong 9/10 chance that this won't take off
Yeah. BUT, with the new Google + trash now on YouTube, I would be inclined to xD.

How can it take off with it being closed off except for a few employees of yahoo being able to actually upload content onto it... its like saying youtube could have still got as big as it has if they did the same thing which youtube wouldnt have been bought by google and it would be dead if it was closed off like this...

If this is anything like the buggy videos they load up in their articles they are going to fail miserably.

If they have higher CPM payouts, it may go somewhere. But I don't think too far. They need to have an open upload policy like youtube instead of an exclusives club

Back