You can now bid on the ultra rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: The fabled Nintendo PlayStation is arguably one of the most significant artifacts in video game history and soon, it'll come under new ownership. And to think, it had been sitting in an attic for years before being "discovered."

The owner of the ultra rare Nintendo PlayStation prototype has made good on a promise put forth last year, finally putting the mythical machine up for auction.

Heritage Auctions is now accepting bids on the console – Lot #93060 – and will do so for the next 21 days. As of writing, the leading bid is $48,000. Owner Terry Diebold said in December that he had previously turned down a private offer of $1.2 million for the system. Clearly, he anticipates it could fetch more than that on the open market.

You are probably wondering who would pay that kind of money for a game console. It’s a fair question, but you also have to realize the rarity of this system. It is the only example in the world known to exist from a limited batch of 200 that were allegedly created as part of a failed joint venture between Nintendo and Sony dating back to the late 80s.

It is believed that all of the other prototypes were destroyed yet somehow, this one survived. Those interested in learning more about the history of the Nintendo PlayStation are encouraged to check out this feature from 2015.

Interested parties can register with Heritage Auctions and place a bid through early March. Any bets on how much the console ultimately fetches?

All images courtesy Heritage Auctions

Permalink to story.

Currently at $50,000 as of this reply. Wow, I do not make that kind of money. I will not be bidding, unfortunately.

I hope it sells cheap. There's something wrong in worshiping an old piece of computer hardware.

I would rather invest that amount into something worthwhile. I would get a way better return. I guess everyone has their passions.

Anyone who can spend that kind of bread on a hobby has already made some wise investments. I do find it interesting that apparently neither Nintendo or Sony has shown interest..perhaps there are NDAS still in effect? If I was a very rich nerd I would buy it, hire some l33t d00ds to reverse-engineer it down to the last byte and then donate it to a video gaming or technology museum. Naturally, I'd also have the team build me a breadboard replica of the system.

Sitting at $205,000 right now. It has 21 days to go, but I bet the seller will take that original offer when this doesn't reach that amount.

I hope it sells cheap. There's something wrong in worshiping an old piece of computer hardware.

Is it any better or worse than worshiping a printed piece of paper, painted piece of canvas or a carved piece of rock ?

Art is in the eye of the beholder, and I think there are many people out there who feel like Indiana Jones owning that one rare / special game, piece of hardware, car....

In any case, to each their own so if someone has that kind of money and wants to spend it on a Nintendo Playstation, why not ?

Is it any better or worse than worshiping a printed piece of paper, painted piece of canvas or a carved piece of rock ?

Art is in the eye of the beholder, and I think there are many people out there who feel like Indiana Jones owning that one rare / special game, piece of hardware, car....

In any case, to each their own so if someone has that kind of money and wants to spend it on a Nintendo Playstation, why not ?

this is my personal opinion, why not you ask?. Because money have a value regardless of our own income. With 350k$ you can save a lot of lives, and to waste them just to satisfy a personal whim is very egoist. I do not say that we do not have the right to satisty our personal whims, but 350k is too much. Money have a value regardless, and 350k$ is a big amount.

I add another question: maybe they want to win the auction because they think that in the future that item will value even more?

/Daniele

Last edited:
this is my personal opinion, why not you ask?. Because money have a value regardless of our own income. With 350k$ you can save a lot of lives, and to waste them just to satisfy a personal whim is very egoist. I do not say that we do not have the right to satisty our personal whims, but 350k is too much. Money have a value regardless, and 350k$ is a big amount.

I add another question: maybe they want to win the auction because they think that in the future that item will value even more?

/Daniele
Definitely agree with you on the value of money part. I wouldn't buy either of this.

Could this be speculation ? Perhaps. Supply won't increase and it is a piece of gaming history.

What we needn't forget is that there are people out there for whom spending $350k is less noticeable than spending $350 would be for us.

If a regular person spends $350, it usually means not being able to spend this on another thing, but if you are wealthy enough you can spend $350k without having to give up something else.

Back