You can now download AMD's fix for Windows 11 performance, Microsoft's fix is also available

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: There's a good reason Windows 11 is being released in stages -- Microsoft's new operating system still has a number of kinks that need to be ironed out before it's ready for widespread availability. For AMD users, Microsoft and AMD now have official fixes for a couple of known issues that were causing performance hiccups with AMD CPUs on the release build.

Windows 11 is off to a rocky start, but Microsoft and its hardware partners have been quick to work on solving the biggest problems with the launch build. For people with AMD-based systems, that included a set of bugs that led to a performance regression of up to 15 percent for Ryzen processors in some eSports games, and 3-5 percent in several applications. The issue was further amplified by the first Patch Tuesday update, which only managed to make things worse even as it fixed some of the known issues in the original Windows 11 release.

Also read: AMD vs. Intel: The Evolution of CPU Gaming Performance

Last week, Microsoft started testing a fix for one of the issues, which is responsible for an increase in L3 cache latency and a decrease in copy performance. An official patch (KB 5006476) is now rolling out to Windows 11 users, solving this particular issue as well as several others that affect sound, Bluetooth connections, app launch times, Windows Search, and more.

The second problem was caused by a defect in the UEFI CPPC (Collaborative Power and Performance Control 2) driver that’s responsible for scheduling threads to a processor’s fastest core. This feature didn’t work as intended for processors with eight or more cores and a TDP over 65 watts, so most gaming PCs with Ryzen CPUs were affected. Today, AMD confirmed to TechSpot that a patch is now available for all Windows users who use a Ryzen, Epyc, or Threadripper CPU.

It’s worth noting the issues come at a time when Intel is preparing to launch its 12th generation Alder Lake CPUs, with most leaks indicating they will match or even surpass Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in terms of performance, albeit with higher power consumption. That said, both AMD and Microsoft have kept their promise to have updates available by the end of this month, which will make life easier for AMD users who are looking to upgrade to Windows 11 and especially those who have already made the jump.

Permalink to story.

“ It’s worth noting the issues come at a time when Intel is preparing to launch its 12th generation Alder Lake CPUs, with most leaks indicating they will match or even surpass Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in terms of performance”

With all due respect Techspot, this is trash reporting. MS and AMD are partners, AMD provides more silicon to MS than Intel do. Not only would MS and Intel be breaking the law if they gimped AMD in the face of Intels release but it would potentially sour a relationship that MS may find difficult or expensive to replace (at least with Xbox).

And you know just as well as I and most of us that this sort of issue happens all the time. You’re just playing on it being close to Intels launch to coax out the conspiracists.

“ It’s worth noting the issues come at a time when Intel is preparing to launch its 12th generation Alder Lake CPUs, with most leaks indicating they will match or even surpass Ryzen 5000 series CPUs in terms of performance”

With all due respect Techspot, this is trash reporting. MS and AMD are partners, AMD provides more silicon to MS than Intel do. Not only would MS and Intel be breaking the law if they gimped AMD in the face of Intels release but it would potentially sour a relationship that MS may find difficult or expensive to replace (at least with Xbox).

And you know just as well as I and most of us that this sort of issue happens all the time. You’re just playing on it being close to Intels launch to coax out the conspiracists.
MS and AMD are partners

Agreed. I'd actually like to hear from AMD what they have to say about this since they are saying nothing and all the blame is going to Microsoft. AMD isn't exactly forthcoming with what apps they found were affected, nor does it look good that they pulled the alleged competitive games that were affected from their website.

Those are the pieces of the puzzle that are still missing and no one is looking for.

Fun fact:
Microsoft has a higher credit rating than the United States. AAA vs AA since 2011.

Both my desktop PC and laptop run AMD cpu's. I wonder if it would be best to wait for more patches before upgrading to Windows 11. Seems a bit early to update from Windows 10.

windows 11 has been in beta since early-mid 2021. they had all this time to fix this issue and it was still pushed out during release. bugs happen yes. but when this has been in beta for a while and this was not an issue with windows 10, that's a problem. they are to busy working on the scheduler for big-little core configs for alder lake

It's not trash reporting, it's history repeating itself with INTEL's long known issue of unethical business practices. Maybe just maybe it was done by one or a hand full of MICROSOFT employee's. Dude wake up the writing is on the wall.No matter what business you have how much you pay your employee's there always will be a few bad apples.

I could be wrong but I'm not surprised. Anyone with commonsense would wait before installing WINDOWS 11.I called this many months ago about something like this happening.

While it‘s nice that patches are out, I am wondering what this will do for reviewers that are probably already in the process of running benchmarks for their ADL reviews or starting soon.

At one point, they will need to decide on a Windows 11 version to use and perform all tests. Not sure if wondering about other potential bugs or performance regressions makes this more fun.

Hopefully in a couple of months Windows 11 is gonna be out of beta-testing phase and then it's gonna be safe to use it.

It's not trash reporting, it's history repeating itself with INTEL's long known issue of unethical business practices. Maybe just maybe it was done by one or a hand full of MICROSOFT employee's. Dude wake up the writing is on the wall.No matter what business you have how much you pay your employee's there always will be a few bad apples.

I could be wrong but I'm not surprised. Anyone with commonsense would wait before installing WINDOWS 11.I called this many months ago about something like this happening.
Was it MS fault when AMD had L3 issues previously that needed new BIOS? And the ones for memory support and system stability? My X470 is at 25 BIOS updates. That's a LOT. My P67 board had 11 after 5+ years. Seems the history of not being ready on time also includes AMD, hmm?

There is zero evidence that this is a conspiracy. MS and Intel are not working to push AMD out and I genuinely pity you if you think they are. If I’m wrong, show me the proof that this minor glitch was caused on purpose. The whole idea is absurd!

If you're hoping 11 is an upgrade, your heart.
Not in the least. I will have to buy new hardware for 11, and for that reason alone, I'll wait until M$ gets off their A$$es and makes 11 more stable, if they ever do, before I switch to 11 on any machine. And if they never manage to stabilize 11, maybe I'll just make the jump to Linux for my next build.

BTW - I frequently enjoy bashing M$ and their 10 update trash, and I'll have just as much fun bashing M$ over this piece of crap they call Windows 11. ;)

Glad the patch is out. I rolled back to Windows 10 (Ryzen 3600 here) but I will be leaving it longer before I go to Windows 11 properly. Silly detail but whoever made the decision to only put the clock on the system tray on the main monitor with no option to enable it needs a clip round the ear. Playing a game on your main monitor and wanting to gaze at the time on the second monitor you have maybe a game guide or discord chat open on? NO. NO YOU CANT.

I suspect in future they will add Windows 11 only features to try and force uptake even though Windows 10 is more than capable of handling them.

MS and AMD are partners

Agreed. I'd actually like to hear from AMD what they have to say about this since they are saying nothing and all the blame is going to Microsoft. AMD isn't exactly forthcoming with what apps they found were affected, nor does it look good that they pulled the alleged competitive games that were affected from their website.

Those are the pieces of the puzzle that are still missing and no one is looking for.

Fun fact:
Microsoft has a higher credit rating than the United States. AAA vs AA since 2011.

Unlike mine which is somewhere around a DD or FFF :)

I'm in the rarefied air category. I have an MSI x570 GODLIKE, a Ryzen 5950x, and an RTX 3090, Windows 11 has netted me my fastest benchmarks scores ever in UL's 3DMark suite.

Partnership, more like an abusive relationship at times with a narcissist ex pulling MS strings. AMD helped MS develop Xbox, only to stabbed in the back during unveiling where it was revealed to use Intel processor.

Partnership, more like an abusive relationship at times with a narcissist ex pulling MS strings. AMD helped MS develop Xbox, only to stabbed in the back during unveiling where it was revealed to use Intel processor.
Par for the course in this industry. If you want to do business with the big tech giants then you don’t expect to play nice. I will never ever have sympathy for any of these companies, they are all scummy and that includes AMD who are just as crooked as the rest of them, at one point in history were even selling unlicenced clones of Intels CPUs.

Back