You'll still get Windows 11 updates on an unsupported system, just don't get used to it

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: If you've managed to upgrade an "unsupported" PC to the final release of Windows 11 (build 22000), you may have noticed that you can still receive Windows updates even though Microsoft said you're not entitled to any. For now, that means you'll continue to get cumulative updates, but there will come a time when the company stops that -- likely the first major update for Windows 11, whenever that lands.

With Windows 11, Microsoft has chosen to split its user base in two. Since the OS was announced, the company has repeatedly underlined that it wants to gradually elevate security for consumers to the same level of that found on enterprise systems. To that end, Microsoft had to enact some of the strictest system requirements in recent Windows history, leaving more than half of all PCs out there without an official upgrade path from Windows 10.

There is a way to bypass these requirements and upgrade an “unsupported” system, and we’ve described that in detail here. If you’ve already gone through this process, you are currently the not-so-proud owner of a PC running a somewhat buggy Windows release that will take more than a Patch Tuesday to get right. Today, Microsoft released a new Windows 11 update, but right now it's only for those who are enrolled in the Insider Program on the Release Preview or Beta channels.

This brings us to something that Microsoft said in August -- the company won’t stand in your way if you want to upgrade an unsupported machine to Windows 11, but you won’t be entitled to receive Windows feature updates, as well as security and driver updates. After the Patch Tuesday dropped this week, some users were surprised to find that their “unsupported” PC had been offered the patch.

That’s because Microsoft was talking about Insider builds. Unsupported PCs should have -- at least in theory -- been opted out by now, meaning you shouldn’t be able to see the current update (build 22000.282) until it starts rolling out to the general public in the coming weeks. Senior Program Manager for the Windows Insider Program Brandon LeBlanc confirmed as much this week, but don’t get your hopes up. This still means that Microsoft can always decide to stop offering updates for your machine.

To sum it all up, if you’ve been able to upgrade to build 22000.xxx on an unsupported system, you’ll probably receive cumulative updates just like everyone else. However, you’ll be staying on a revision of that build, unless Microsoft decides you're entitled to the first major update for Windows 11.

As for the 22000.282 update that was released on the Beta and Release Preview channels, it comes with a long list of fixes, including an issue that affects L3 cache performance on AMD CPUs, that likely weren’t ready in time for this month’s Patch Tuesday.

Permalink to story.

I think the biggest blame on this whole W11 is not supported if you don't have a PC you've bought today is on the press.
Press has been eating sh*& the past 1 or two years, reiterating a lot of crap news, fake news, how W11 doesn't even install on an old system, etc, etc, whereas the simple truth was that if you want to tick all the news features of W11 you need tpm 2.0 and some other crap that no one needs. Or in other words, it works fine on basically any system, including athlon 64 and core 2 duo.
Press has become ... something lazy and stupid in the past years. Editors are just copying the news that someone posted (which on its own was probably copied over a dozen of times) without reading the damn content and actually thinking about what it means or verifying the actual source.
Anyways.

L3 latency is fixed.
L3 bandwidth on my machine is reporting 100-200GB/s lower than it should, but I imagine that'll get fixed at a later time I hope.

This L3 latency problem was BIOS related the first time, so I'm willing to bet AMD messed up somewhere to have it make it to the OS this time. Oh, I read something earlier. Seems AMD was described as "coy" when asked what apps they found that were affected by these recent issues. I think it was Tom's that tested a bunch of stuff and didn't find much of any perf loss. AMD wasn't helping so they were on their own.

Yea it was Tom's:
We can see dramatic changes in our cache latency and bandwidth measurements below, but we didn't see as profound of an impact in the selection of games we tested. However, it is noteworthy that AMD's advisory states that the bug impacts both the "measured and functional L3 cache latency," meaning that the results we measure with microbenchmarks are also indicative of the performance received by some applications. Naturally, the higher latency will impact some AMD processors and games/applications more than others.

AMD is coy with the details of just which applications and games are impacted, and the company even adjusted its advisory to remove its original mention of eSports titles. That makes it a bit tough to narrow down our tests to the impacted games, but we still have plenty of game testing to examine, not to mention cache and Infinity Fabric testing. In either case, we'll examine where things stand right now, and we'll reevaluate after AMD and Microsoft issue the patches.

Last edited:
So confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 computers at home, two supported and two unsupported. So, it means that in a few months, when the first main update comes, my 2 unsupported computers will stop receiving security updates. What will I do then? To return to Windows 10? That will not be so easy to do in a few months. And all this problem is because of TPM 2.0 and unsupported CPU's (arbitrarily decided by M$). One of my unsupported computers has TPM 2.0 but the CPU is Core i7 7700K, which is not supported. I wonder why is it not supported???

Fed up with this confusing/anti-consumer company with a bad soul!

I bet they looked at adoption rates and decided "Yeah let's not bother block em"

I am sure that even after the first or second feature updates they'll probably won't cut off the unwashed non -TPM-2.0 masses simply because well they've got enough bad press as it is.

I don't think this will help things much however: most people without TPM 2.0 realistically just flatout won't update, they'll never get prompted and they'll never care because there's nothing to care about in Windows 11.

But at this point they're in far too deep to walk things back and admit that TPM 2.0 doesn't inherently makes consumer systems any more secure and it's hard requirement is just setting the ground for more and greater DRM.

Little good to say about the company, and they are very persistent at what they do. Well, persistence is a sign of good integrity.... Indeed. So what are they persistent about? Oh, they never tell the truth, a chronic liar. Ouch!

What a disinformation train wreck Win11 are.

Bingo. They should stick to it one way or the other. If they freely admit you are able to allow non compliance hardware then just leave Windows updates open. Or really lock it down to no hardwre that doesn't meet the specs. I don't care, just make a dam choice FFS.

So confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 computers at home, two supported and two unsupported. So, it means that in a few months, when the first main update comes, my 2 unsupported computers will stop receiving security updates. What will I do then? To return to Windows 10? That will not be so easy to do in a few months. And all this problem is because of TPM 2.0 and unsupported CPU's (arbitrarily decided by M$). One of my unsupported computers has TPM 2.0 but the CPU is Core i7 7700K, which is not supported. I wonder why is it not supported???

Fed up with this confusing/anti-consumer company with a bad soul!
Its a pain but manually updating should always still work. If you have to do that then only worry about the cumulative updates that come out periodically. Someone will always have a workaround but they may not be convenient.

I think the biggest blame on this whole W11 is not supported if you don't have a PC you've bought today is on the press.
Press has been eating sh*& the past 1 or two years, reiterating a lot of crap news, fake news, how W11 doesn't even install on an old system, etc, etc, whereas the simple truth was that if you want to tick all the news features of W11 you need tpm 2.0 and some other crap that no one needs. Or in other words, it works fine on basically any system, including athlon 64 and core 2 duo.
Press has become ... something lazy and stupid in the past years. Editors are just copying the news that someone posted (which on its own was probably copied over a dozen of times) without reading the damn content and actually thinking about what it means or verifying the actual source.
Anyways.

Then you will hate the next edition of Windows 12 should be out in a few years. In order to run W12 you will need to be born as a SCORPIO (October) You also have to be over 6 ft tall, have the new Nvidia GPU called the 8090ti series, the RAM has to be RGB, The worst part is that every time you start your system a RUBIK'S CUBE has to be solved.

"Microsoft has chosen to split its user base in two"

MS did nothing like that. Users did that to themselves, by knowingly and willingly installing Windows 11 on unsupported hardware. Which they can only do by deleting random files from the installer, then disabling installer updates, or using 3rd party hacks, etc. It's not like you can "accidentally" install W11 on such systems. In fact, the official, untampered installer kindly tells you to go f yourself, this upgrade ain't happening.

If MS made more of an effort to prevent people from doing so, then you'd be writing an article complaining about that instead. Because Windows 10 which is supported until at least 2025 is just unacceptable on legacy PCs and being able to install Windows 11 on your 5 years old computer is a constitutional right or something.

Some people you just cannot please.

Last edited:

MS did nothing like that. Users did that to themselves, by knowingly and willingly installing Windows 11 on unsupported hardware. Which they can only do by deleting random files from the installer, then disabling installer updates, or using 3rd party hacks, etc. It's not like you can "accidentally" install W11 on such systems. In fact, the official, untampered installer kindly tells you to go f yourself, this upgrade ain't happening.

If MS made more of an effort to prevent people from doing so, then you'd be writing an article complaining about that instead. Because Windows 10 which is supported until at least 2025 is just unacceptable on legacy PCs and being able to install Windows 11 on your 5 years old computer is a constitutional right or something.

Some people you just cannot please.
If they did not want to split userbase, they would support Win 10 for much longer, or simply do not state EOL at all.
If you are M$, you have no luxury of fanbase or forcing developers to do pretty much anything.
One simply does not close the gate that was "open" for decades.

Some people you just cannot please.Wf

There is so much wrong in this statement it is mind boggling. 🙄

So, basically, Microsoft accepts that all Windows 10 computers out there are not secure because the OS does not utilize the TPM 2.0 functionality!

What is funny is that Microsoft wants to "elevate security" by not allowing "unsupported" Windows 11 computers to be updated, but at the same time urges Windows 10 users to run the latest updates for their safety until 2025 !!!

Confusing?

Microsoft has made Windows 11 so much of a confusing cluster**** that even people who want to update won't. Look at all the unnecessary risk involved. TPM, certain CPUS, certain mobos.. most people aren't running out to buy these expensive things.

Lol. The restrictive requirements slowly, but surely, are dying through a thousand cuts. My prediction: it will get dispense with at some point. Part of me thinks it was really about slowing adoption rates initially so they wouldn't get hammered with issues and complaints which they are. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Back