YouTube expected to announce long-rumored video subscription service this week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

YouTube is expected to unveil its long-rumored video subscription service at a media event this Wednesday at its Los Angeles production studio.

A little over a year ago, word got out that Google was preparing to set aside millions of dollars to fund the creation of original content from some of its top content creators. Sources at the time neglected to mention that at least some of the new content from the initiative would be put behind a subscription paywall (or maybe it hadn't been decided yet) which is what’s getting ready to happen according to Re/code.

The premium subscription service is also expected to include other perks such as ad-free viewing, a feature that users have been requesting for ages, and the ability to download content for offline viewing. Scuttlebutt suggests the subscription will sell for around $10 per month.

YouTube’s premium service generated a bit of controversy earlier this year when popular content creators received an e-mail from the company that more or less insisted they participate in the paid subscription service. Failure to do so would reportedly set their videos to private, making it nearly impossible for people to find them.

Content creators may have a bit more time to decide their stance on the issue. Sources tell the publication that some of the content hasn’t been created yet and thus, won’t be available until sometime next year.

Either way, we should have more answers on the matter in just a few days.

Permalink to story.

Well, considering how unpleasant and clunky using YouTube is right now I would have be insane to pay for this "experience"... Fix your basic functionality, please. ~_~

Considering the ad revenue being collected by some of those producing video's, YouTube would have been wiser to charge them, particularly since they are raking in the bucks. With a few other similar services out there, YouTube is rolling the dice and hoping their viewers will be loyal at any cost. YouTube makes plenty of ad revenue, so why the change. In a word, greed.

How will I know that the internet web is already instaled to my device or incompertible. Since am tried to instale and can expirience to no changes. Please

Well, considering how unpleasant and clunky using YouTube is right now I would have be insane to pay for this "experience"... Fix your basic functionality, please. ~_~

What are these issues you are referring to? I've yet to experience them (other than non-functioning dislike button).

What are these issues you are referring to? I've yet to experience them (other than non-functioning dislike button).
Yeah it's fine. I only have one complaint and thats the drop down box for editing, it can be tricky to click on edit if your mouse pointer moves at a rate of knots.

Now why the hell would I be interested in paying for an ad free service. I already have that with AdBlock. There is now way on earth I'll ever buy into this legal scam, I'd sooner do without if they're thinking of tapping me.

Now why the hell would I be interested in paying for an ad free service. I already have that with AdBlock. There is now way on earth I'll ever buy into this legal scam, I'd sooner do without if they're thinking of tapping me.

Was just saying that, AdBlock and also 4K Video Downloader which allows you to download Youtube videos for offline use.

I don't mind a Subscription service but it can't restrict free use (ie can only sub to 10 channels, 100 hours of video per month and alike).

Lucky you. :) I unfortunately am constantly frustrated and disappointed in YT. Constant crashing on Linux (FF), constant UI changes, fullscreen that is not full (shows the bar), videos not filling the player box (or filling it too much, yesterday some videos opened in HD but the box cropped it to left-top corner), and uh... this:

http://i62.tinypic.com/spz11x.jpg

Aside from that there's so many grips with the basic functionality (or lack of) like repeating the video, permanently turning of autoplay, comments not displaying / adding, how it's impossible to rewind the video for even a second without the whole player re-buffering for a minute... You know. Gripes. But that translates to poor experience.

and also 4K Video Downloader which allows you to download Youtube videos for offline use.

Oh man, 4KVD is so great. Copy link, open 4KVD, paste, watch .mp4 video on your PC. They also have the excellent 4K Youtube to MP3 as well, paste in the video link and it will render an mp3 of the audio on your PC.

Lucky you. :) I unfortunately am constantly frustrated and disappointed in YT. Constant crashing on Linux (FF), constant UI changes, fullscreen that is not full (shows the bar), videos not filling the player box (or filling it too much, yesterday some videos opened in HD but the box cropped it to left-top corner), and uh... this:

Constant UI changes do kind of suck. Are you logged into your account? Maybe you are "lucky" and they are rolling out new changes to you first (I get that on FB, it's horrid at times).

Those are quite few issues, might be due to OS?
Have you tried contacting their support?

Oh man, 4KVD is so great. Copy link, open 4KVD, paste, watch .mp4 video on your PC. They also have the excellent 4K Youtube to MP3 as well, paste in the video link and it will render an mp3 of the audio on your PC.

Yep, I love it and wouldn't be able to live without it. The amount of audio tracks I converted to .mp3 with that as well, countless. Loved the software so much I gave them a donation lol and I rarely do that. #freemarketftw!

On mobile devices or closed off devices (like set top boxes) you don't have a choice but dealing with ads. Firefox for Android at least let's me use add-ons to my hearts content, but Chrome for Android is very limited. As a workaround some things like Adblock were released to install on the device itself, but I never had luck with that.

Still not worth paying this monthly subscription anyways--Netflix et al are still much more worthwhile imo.

Constant UI changes do kind of suck. Are you logged into your account? Maybe you are "lucky" and they are rolling out new changes to you first (I get that on FB, it's horrid at times).

Those are quite few issues, might be due to OS?
Have you tried contacting their support?

Yep, I love it and wouldn't be able to live without it. The amount of audio tracks I converted to .mp3 with that as well, countless. Loved the software so much I gave them a donation lol and I rarely do that. #freemarketftw!

Sometimes I'm logged in to one of my accounts, sometimes I don't. I use almost exclusively Firefox, but on different machines with different OS (Win7 / Xubuntu). And yeah, I'm lucky enough to have a stable FB with mostly constant UI, so I'm spared there. :)

Back