YouTube to remove videos and channels with "hateful and supremacist" content

David Matthews

Staff member
Why it matters: Like Facebook earlier this year, YouTube is looking to outright ban channels that have "supremacist and hateful content". The company also wants to clamp down on misleading videos and promote those that are more "authoritative". While YouTube will have to determine what constitutes hate speech, it's under extreme pressure by governments and businesses to moderate its video content given recent controversies.

YouTube is swinging the ban hammer hard today as the company looks to delete thousands of videos and channels in an effort to stem all hateful content. The company outlined it's reasoning in a blog post along with a three pronged approach.

The first change will be the removal of videos that it deems "hateful and supremacist". YouTube has spent at least two years trying to remove videos that encourage violent extremism but wants to extend that to hateful content. The post specifically points out that it is "prohibiting videos alleging that a group is superior in order to justify discrimination, segregation or exclusion based on qualities like age, gender, race, caste, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status".

The second change is the attempt to reduce "borderline content". This was actually reported earlier this year as the company tries stop the spread of misinformation about widely reported events like the Holocaust, the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and the Sandy Hook shooting. Videos that claim the Earth is flat or a purport "phony miracle cures" are also on the chopping block. That said, YouTube claims that the misleading videos based on recommendations have seen a 50% drop in views.

Finally, YouTube will suspend channels from the YouTube Partner program that repeatedly "brush up" against hate speech policies. This prevents any monetization from ads or Super Chat, which allows subscribers pay creators directly in exchange for more chat features.

There are business and political reasons for outright banning channels. Social media companies are facing immense pressure from governments to moderate hate speech. Facebook itself took a similar action by attempting to ban white nationalism after the New Zealand shooting. YouTube also wants to remind advertiser friendly and prevent hateful channels from ruining YouTube's ad revenue.

As I've written before, while the intention of these policies are probably noble, YouTube and other social media giants still face the question of what constitutes hate speech. Can the algorithm detect the difference between legitimate hate speech and someone just simply discussing hate speech? To be fair, YouTube does state in the blog post that "context matters" and that videos that merely discuss hate speech topics or condemn hate would stay up.

Even then, YouTube doesn't always enforce its own anti-hate policies. There is a current controversy surrounding Steven Crowder making racial and homophobic videos against Vox host Carlos Maza. Maza took to Twitter to voice his displeasure with YouTube's inaction against Crowder. YouTube finally tweeted back to Maza saying that "while we found language that was clearly hurtful, the videos as posted don't violate our policies". However, it went back on that decision by suspending monetization on Steven Crowder's channel.

The move to further restrict hateful content will likely also rile up conservatives who continue to believe that big tech companies unfairly discriminate against them. Senate Republicans held hearings in April that once again brought up the charge that tech companies are biased against conservative thought. While the evidence of political bias is probably anecdotal at best, most Americans believe social media censors political thought anyway.

YouTube says that it will begin enforcing the new policies today with full ramp up to continue gradually over the next few months.

Permalink to story.

With the stupid actions (YOUTUBE) is doing, (THEGUDDA) will take the number #1 spot very quickly.

"Senate Republicans held hearings in April that once again brought up the charge that tech companies are biased against conservative thought. While the evidence of political bias is probably anecdotal at best, most Americans believe social media censors political thought anyway."

Multiple independent studies and watchdog groups have proven (repeatedly) that there is clear and systematic discrimination against not only so-called "conservative" opinion but against any speech that isn't supporting a liberal - and usually "progressive" - agenda (meaning to the the left of traditional liberalism). Silicon Valley and most of the big Left Coast towns are extremist echo chambers where only one viewpoint is allowed. In the old days we called this fascism. Nowadays its called "tolerance".

Multiple independent studies and watchdog groups have proven (repeatedly) that there is clear and systematic discrimination against not only so-called "conservative" opinion but against any speech that isn't supporting a liberal - and usually "progressive" - agenda (meaning to the the left of traditional liberalism).
Links? I would really like to see them if you have any.

Multiple independent studies and watchdog groups have proven (repeatedly) that there is clear and systematic discrimination against not only so-called "conservative" opinion but against any speech that isn't supporting a liberal - and usually "progressive" - agenda (meaning to the the left of traditional liberalism). Silicon Valley and most of the big Left Coast towns are extremist echo chambers where only one viewpoint is allowed. In the old days we called this fascism. Nowadays its called "tolerance".

Hate to tell you this (and I have the feeling you had this in mind) , but counting Fox Noise and other tabloid-like outlets as independent or reliable is not a smart idea.

Bit please, and by all means, do provide some links to your "independent studies and watchdog groups" and back up your astonishing claim!!

Youtube just demonetization dozens of non-racist, non-supremacist conservatives youtube channels that broke no rules, if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know than I recommend you need to come out from under the rock already. Right now it's conservatives, just wait till it's YOU who they censor.

Youtube just demonetization dozens of non-racist, non-supremacist conservatives youtube channels that broke no rules, if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know than I recommend you need to come out from under the rock already. Right now it's conservatives, just wait till it's YOU who they censor.
Just like the "glorious" French Revolution

Multiple independent studies and watchdog groups have proven (repeatedly) that there is clear and systematic discrimination against not only so-called "conservative" opinion but against any speech that isn't supporting a liberal - and usually "progressive" - agenda (meaning to the the left of traditional liberalism).
Do your own work. Lazy and don't want the truth?

Hate to tell you this (and I have the feeling you had this in mind) , but counting Fox Noise and other tabloid-like outlets as independent or reliable is not a smart idea.

Bit please, and by all means, do provide some links to your "independent studies and watchdog groups" and back up your astonishing claim!!

Just because he asked someone to verify their claims?

"Senate Republicans held hearings in April that once again brought up the charge that tech companies are biased against conservative thought. While the evidence of political bias is probably anecdotal at best, most Americans believe social media censors political thought anyway."

When foolish people unite, those with common sense need to be even closer to each other maintaining and supporting what they believe in. There will always be something for the mob and those following trends no matter how damn it is. But that doesn't mean that those with traditional views need to give up all together.

Just because he asked someone to verify their claims?

The burden of proof is always on the claimants, once that's done you can peer review and disprove.

Very true. There is a full court press to prevent Trump from getting reelected.

However, radical censorship was never a big characteristic of fascism or any other manifestation of conservatism, rather it's the fundamental value of Leftist Bolshevik Communism. At the same time that Hitler was getting German approval ratings over 90%, developing German TV, building the autobahn, putting a VW in every garage, and inviting the world to the Olympic games, the USSR was quietly killing over 20 million ethnic Russians, which was not reported in the predominantly leftist Western media. The recognized expert on state democide is a man named Rummel. He estimates the Communist death toll at well over 100 million.

George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm were about leftist Communism, not Fascism. Leftist terms such as 'equality', 'tolerance', ' diversity' LGBTQ, and 'racism', are beautiful examples of what Orwell called Newspeak and Doublethink, where up is down and two plus two equals five. The 1984 Ministries of Love, Peace, Plenty, and Truth were actually the opposite. Leftists tell you there is no such thing as race, and in the same breath claim only whites are racist.They promote nationalism for Hispanics, Native Americans, Blacks, Muslims and Jews, but any hint of white or Euro nationalism is immediately equated with terrorism. It's like the pigs in Animal farm saying 'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'

We live in interesting times. Hand onto your hats!

The first change will be the removal of videos that it deems "hateful and supremacist". YouTube has spent at least two years trying to remove videos that encourage violent extremism but wants to extend that to hateful content.

First they came for the terror, but I was not terrified, so I did not speak.
Then they came for the hate, but I was not hateful, so I did not speak.
Next, they came for the anger, but I was not angry, so I did not speak.
Soon, they came for the sadness, but I was not sad, so I did not speak.
All negativity was rounded-up. No cynicism, no unease, no disagreement.
I thought I was sad, but sadness was gone.
I tried to get angry, but anger was no more.
I feel like I hate this, but I cannot be sure.
I know, though, somehow, that I am terrified.

That was beautiful...

The first change will be the removal of videos that it deems "hateful and supremacist". YouTube has spent at least two years trying to remove videos that encourage violent extremism but wants to extend that to hateful content.

Excellent quote. If only humanity learned from our own mistakes.

No thanks, doc, I am not taking your pill.

I think that people who claim this kind of :poop: simply do not like being challenged to put up or shut up. As much as others might not like to believe it, all people are not sheep who blindly follow regurgitant without references.

In fact, I have searched, and could find NO independent studies that confirm this. I think it was pure :poop: spouted because it was heard elsewhere without verification or because the OP thought everyone would blindly follow.

I hate gagme perhaps more than even the extreme right simply because gagme is nothing but a parasite on the world, IMO, but that does not mean that I am going to blindly follow :poop: without supporting references.

We have heard nothing back from the OP. I wonder why? :confused:

Youtube need a competitor. They having too much control over online content. I don’t like hate, but I don’t like America corporations tell me what I can doing online.

No thanks, doc, I am not taking your pill.

I think that people who claim this kind of :poop: simply do not like being challenged to put up or shut up. As much as others might not like to believe it, all people are not sheep who blindly follow regurgitant without references.

In fact, I have searched, and could find NO independent studies that confirm this. I think it was pure :poop: spouted because it was heard elsewhere without verification or because the OP thought everyone would blindly follow.

I hate gagme perhaps more than even the extreme right simply because gagme is nothing but a parasite on the world, IMO, but that does not mean that I am going to blindly follow :poop: without supporting references.

We have heard nothing back from the OP. I wonder why? :confused:

There have been many studies about this issue of censorship affecting conservatives online. I do not have the time or the will to comb through thousands of articles and studies personally in order to win online arguments because it's pointless. I would instead direct you to Youtubers like Tim Pool who go into those studies at great length and in great depth in their videos. Tim Pool is particularly known for this kind of thing. He pulls up the studies in his videos, shows all the graphs and charts, reads through them line by line with his own commentary, talks about the authors and the organizations that fund the research, and he does his best do so in an unbiased manner. I especially enjoyed watching the Joe Rogan video with Tim Pool and the guy that runs Twitter. Tim called him out on conservative censorship on the platform and the guy had no rebuttal, only that they were "continuing to learn and evolve", but it became plainly obvious that there is active censorship against right-leaning voices. I have spent many hours casually listening to Tim and others while I work as they are discussing such things and I suspect that OP does or did the same. It's important to keep an open and objective mind to come to an informed conclusion.

This is just an excuse to censor truth. I knew this was coming 10 years ago. Perfect timing with the perfect storm of food shortage, war and the war to depopulate christians soon to follow. Revelation 6 is about to be fullfilled.

Back