YouTube video questions the durability of Apple's 'sapphire' iPhone lens

midian182

Staff member

Apple has pushed the use of sapphire in its iPhone camera lenses as a big selling point since it was introduced in the iPhone 5S. But a new YouTube video shows that it isn’t as durable as the sapphire used in watch faces.

According to JerryRigEverything, a YouTube channel dedicated to testing the durability of different products, Apple is likely saving on manufacturing costs by using a sapphire laminate on top of regular glass in it iPhone lenses.

The video shows Apple’s lens cover scratching from a level 6 pick (on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness), whereas the sapphire of a Tissot watch face only scratches once a level 8 pick is used.

Tests carried out using a XRF machine and an electron microscope prove that pure sapphire isn’t used in the iPhone lenses. It also confirms that they don't contain pure sapphire.

JerryRigEverything asks the question “How impure can your sapphire be, and still call it sapphire?" There's also the issue of whether the sapphire display on the stainless steel Apple Watch also uses a laminate, and, if so, is the device less durable than the marketing suggests.

The video does show that the iPhone 7 sapphire lens cover has the same durability as the iPhone 6, iPhone 5, and iPhone SE. And it’s worth pointing out that the lenses are still fairly scratch resistant, just not as much as Apple makes out.

Permalink to story.

Apple has always been a marketing company, tech comes second. Ever since jobs died apple hasn't released a single product worth mentioning. Although I'm surprised that they would skimp so much on the sapphire lens, it's not like it's an expensive material anymore.

...and this is one of the reasons this company (Apple) is worth 178 bills? Come on, mirors and smoke for suckers.

Is this related to that company that was originally contracted to produce the sapphire glass but were having production issues and were screwed by Apple into bankruptcy?

Is this related to that company that was originally contracted to produce the sapphire glass but were having production issues and were screwed by Apple into bankruptcy?
It has to be somebody else. A bankrupt firm is no longer does business as far as I know.

Apple has always been a marketing company, tech comes second. Ever since jobs died apple hasn't released a single product worth mentioning. Although I'm surprised that they would skimp so much on the sapphire lens, it's not like it's an expensive material anymore.
They didn't really sell any products worth mentioning before he died. They copied the MS tablet pc and called an ipad and everyone thought it was new tech. lol
Of course Apple products are less durable than the competition. They want it to break and then have you buy another...and another, and their flock of sheeple do just that.

They didn't really sell any products worth mentioning before he died. They copied the MS tablet pc and called an ipad and everyone thought it was new tech. lol
Of course Apple products are less durable than the competition. They want it to break and then have you buy another...and another, and their flock of sheeple do just that.

First off I am going to state that I am a Samung user (S7 edge). Next, no way are apple products less durable than the competition. I have access to most iphone, and they are all pretty damn solid well constructed devices. The slightly older 4/4S is built like brick sh*t. I often use one as a door wedge because of how solid it is. You couldn't do that with my S5 or 7 phone it would snap in half (though my S2 might handle it).

Back