ZeniMax and id Software file lawsuit against Oculus VR

Shawn Knight

Staff member

oculus zenimax software facebook lawsuit id software john carmack virtual reality oculus rift oculus vr

ZeniMax publically called out Oculus VR earlier this month with claims that former employee and gaming icon John Carmack stole intellectual property that was ultimately used to help develop the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset and help hire away several former employees with confidential and proprietary knowledge of ZeniMax and virtual reality to come work for Oculus VR.

On Wednesday, ZeniMax and id Software officially filed suit in the Northern Texas district against Oculus VR over the matter.

Specifically, ZeniMax is accusing Oculus of misappropriation of trade secrets, copyright infringement, breach of contract, unfair competition, unjust enrichment, trademark infringement and false designation after having signed contracts preventing them from doing so.

oculus zenimax software facebook lawsuit id software john carmack virtual reality oculus rift oculus vr

As a result of Facebook’s $2 billion acquisition of Oculus VR back in March, they now stand to realize billions of dollars in value from ZeniMax’s intellectual property according to the lawsuit. The company said all of their efforts to resolve the matter amicably have been unsuccessful thus far.

Oculus issued a statement on the matter saying the lawsuit filed by ZeniMax has no merit whatsoever and as they have previously stated, ZeniMax did not contribute to any Oculus technology. Oculus VR plans to defend these claims vigorously.

ZeniMax is seeking unspecified actual damages, restitution, disgorgement, unjust enrichment, equitable relief, punitive and exemplary damage, statutory damages, enhanced damages and all other relief to which they believe they are entitled to.

Permalink to story.

Well there is plenty of money now to go around, I honestly would do the same .

Just looking at the people in their board of directors you can see why they come with this:

Time to take Wolfenstein off my wishlist as my official Zenimax boycott starts now. If it's proven that they are actually in the right on this then I'll put it back on my list.

Zenimax screwed up ESO and now they need some form of income. Doesn't surprised me, but I hope they lose. As someone who has played ALL the Elder Scrolls games, zenimax deserves to go under for the money grab that they turned ESO into. Now they are going after companies that are actually innovative and if they succeed, innovation will fail. Whether you're interested in Oculus or not, it will be a revolution in gaming as we know it.

I honestly would like to see Zenimax go down for screwing up my favorite gaming series of all time. Don't take this out on those trying to innovate, take it out on those trying to stifle it.

Zenimax AND id software file lawsuit... how does that work exactly???? It sounds stupid its like a person filing the same lawsuit 10 times in an hour lol

I saw this coming from miles away. ZeniMax smells a big bonus payday and they want in on the action, personally I hope they wind up on their arses.

I saw this coming from miles away. ZeniMax smells a big bonus payday and they want in on the action, personally I hope they wind up on their arses.

This is what will happen when ZeniMax goes to lawyers. The lawyers will attempt to string together a number of potential earners: -

"seeking unspecified actual damages, restitution, disgorgement, unjust enrichment, equitable relief, punitive and exemplary damage, statutory damages, enhanced damages and all other relief to which they believe they are entitled to"

which covers pretty much anything that they can get, using a "make it up as you go along methodology".

Look on the positive side. It might make everybody think that the Oculus VR is the bollocks. FaceBook shares will then go up. Plus we get some sexy stories about the progress of the legal case.

Back