Zip Genius 6: Anyone Else Having Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

Zip Genius 6 is a great free utility that can open all kinds of files. However, lately I have not been able to open the Zip file attachments from TechSpot. I keep getting Invalid Archive.

Anyone else having this issue with this utility or with attempting to opening Zip files from TS?

Hey, Tedster, thanks for the reply and info. I thought my post was going to disappear into sub-space with nary a reply. :)

I have had no issues with Zip genius until just recently. Really, really odd. I'll give 7Z a try.

I use Zip Genius 6 but haven't noticed any problems. Do you have a link to the zip file in question so I can test it?

Ahhhh, man I think I deleted them all. Let me try to search for the posts that I attempted to open but continously failed.

mailpup, I kept getting Invalid File but previous Zip files that I had saved to my PC were able to be opened. I can't tell you why in the last week every Zip file I saved from TechSpot kept repeating the same warning.

I really like the simplicity of Zip Genius. Let me see what I can do and thanks for the interest.

You know I've got the same issue

I normally use WinRAR (not sure why we all don't)
But I decided to download all the free ones, a month ago, to test for the best one to quote (I was updating Memtest Tutorial at the time)

And since then all my Zip downloads when extracted just extract to a filename without an extension
I have since learnt that if I add zip extension, and then unzip the file again, it works.

So then I un-installed all the zip programs and checked the Windows "filetypes" extensions, back to defaults, then re-installed WinRAR, and it's still the same :(
I even re-checked the "filetypes" again, and confirmed WinRAR is correct
Then I did all the scans (Virus/Malware/Registry you name it) and it's still the same :suspiciou

So I thought, geez I can't even work it out ! Forget it, I'll just add "zip" to the extracted Zip file and just unzip it again.
And that's what I've been doing since !

I didn't try Repairing Windows, as everything else is perfect, just this zip issue (probably caused by having multiple zip programs installed, at the time).

I've learnt to live with it. :)

I was able to download and open those minidump zip files too using Zip Genius 6. The version I happen to have at the moment on this particular PC is v6.0.2.1060.

I used to use Powerarchiver until it changed to shareware years ago. Zip Genius is periodically updated but I don't always take the trouble to uninstall the old and install the lastest. As long as it works, I tend to leave it. I probably have different versions on various PCs though.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one having issues kimsland.

I was only running Zip Genius (no other Zip software installed) and as I said it was working beautifully but then it began not opening with the constant Invalid File warning. The only one that never did this was WinZip but you've got to pay for it or keep using it as free trial and then take forever to open a Zip file.

Open any folder
Click on Tools then Folder Options
Click on FileTypes tab (and wait a few seconds for it to show)
Scroll down to ZIP
Select it, then click on Advanced button
What does it say? Open? Because it should say Open

kimsland, I did as you said and it shows Open under advance but it still reads Zip files from TechSpot as Invalid. Before doing your advice I uninstalled and reinstalled 6.0.31150 and nothing has changed.

I'll try Mega-Zip Genius captaincranky's suggestion.

or ALZip... have really like it since been using it. must be at least a year now. Handles 36 different archive formats. Easy/friendly user interface as well

For some reason neither Zip Genius or 7z worked. I have used Zip genius enough times to know I wasn't using it wrong and it could be I was using 7z wrong.

But captaincranky's link did work but even their free download is has n evaluation period.

Thanks, LookinAround, I'll check that out as well.

For some reason neither Zip Genius or 7z worked. I have used Zip genius enough times to know I wasn't using it wrong and it could be I was using 7z wrong.

But captaincranky's link did work but even their free download is has n evaluation period.

Thanks, LookinAround, I'll check that out as well.

I'm sorry, the policies at PKWare seem to have changed. But, did you leave an email address for the download? The page plainly states "free" at the top right. I already have the .exe file for this program, so I didn't retry. I have had other free products, (Photoshop Filters), that were free, but I needed an email link sent to me to get them.

If this program has changed to only a trial version, please accept my apologies.

Update; try this link to PCWorld Magazine http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,68852-order,4-page,4-c,compression/description.html I was able to download the .exe from them directly, (no redirect or mirror), this should be a safe site to visit and download from.

No need to apologize captaincranky; I appreciate your help.

Either I am doing something seriously wrong or something is wrong somewhere in my OS. Regardless of what I try I can't open Zip files. The closest I have gotten to opening and reading was with PKWare. When I went to debug the file the Debugger didn't find them even though in the folder that shows them they are listed.

If you haven't already, try uninstalling Zip Genius and reinstalling. Perhaps a file got corrupted somehow.

If you haven't already, try uninstalling Zip Genius and reinstalling. Perhaps a file got corrupted somehow.

I tried this, mailpup, and I am really stumped. As I stated in another post this utility was working perfectly and then I suddenly out of the blue I was getting Invalid Files. It is really simple to use. I am not infected; I can say that with assurity.

The Zip Genius website has a forum. Maybe you can post this problem there. If anyone can fix it, you would think someone there could.

Zip Genius forum.

I believe you have to register for it like any other forum but maybe it can help. The forum isn't too active but what do you have to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back