ZoneAlarm cuts off internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeski

Hey all,
I just have a little annoying problem with ZoneAlarm (the firewall program). I let my computer sit idle for periods of time while I'm at class and in other situations. If my computer hasn't been used for a bit, ZoneAlarm stops allowing internet access to any other programs (firefox, computer games, etc.), even if the programs are added to the "allow" list in ZoneAlarm.

Any suggestions?

If my computer hasn't been used for a bit, ZoneAlarm stops allowing internet access to any other programs (firefox, computer games, etc.), even if the programs are added to the "allow" list in ZoneAlarm.

Sounds like ZoneAlarm is doing it's job! Why would you even want to allow access from your computer when you aren't even active? This could present a big security risk to you.

The power settings are likely putting the system into standby after a specified amount of time, so the firewall is kicking in and protecting you.

Couldn't figure out how to change any time allowances. I understand that it's good to not have internet while I'm gone. However, when I get back, I can't access the internet in anyway, unless I completely quit ZoneAlarm.

Also, my computer does not go into a standby mode or anything like that.

I used ZoneAlarm for many years before I got a router. They have an excellent Help system available by clicking on F1 on any individual screen. Either the firewall is not configured correctly -OR-unless the FWOUTS you see are coming from malware within the system. Have you scanned with antivirus and at least two spyware/adware programs, updating each right before the scan?

You're going to have to rule out malware and if ZA IS blocking the access, it can mean whatever is trying to access comes from malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back