VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
Virtual machine descriptions in XML.
The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
Guest Additions for Windows, Linux and Solaris.
VirtualBox has special software that can be installed inside Windows, Linux and Solaris virtual machines to improve performance and make integration much more seamless. Among the features provided by these Guest Additions are mouse pointer integration and arbitrary screen solutions (e.g. by resizing the guest window). There are also guest additions for OS/2 with somewhat reduced functionality.
Like many other virtualization solutions, for easy data exchange between hosts and guests, VirtualBox allows for declaring certain host directories as "shared folders", which can then be accessed from within virtual machines.
This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
- User interface: fix issue inputing controller names (bug #11579)
- User interface: fix resize problems with recent Linux hosts (bug #18677)
- Serial: fixed guru meditation when raw mode is enabled (bug #18632)
- Serial: fixed possible VM crash under certain circumstances
- USB: Fixed "unrecoverable error" problems in OHCI emulation (bug #18593, 6.0.6 regression)
- USB: improve captured device identification
- VBoxManage: fix reversed reporting of audio input and output (thank you Socratis Kalogrianitis)
- VBoxManage: fix controlling recording for running machine (bug #18723)
- Guest control service: various fixes
- Windows hosts: fix problems copying files from shared folders (bug #18569)
- Linux hosts: kernel module build fixes for various kernels (bug #18316)
- Linux hosts: support UEFI secure boot driver signing on Ubuntu and Debian hosts (bug #11577)
- Linux hosts: fix focus grabbing problems with recent Qt versions (builds from source only; thank you Fabian Vogt (SUSE) and Larry Finger; bug #18745)
- Windows guests: many shared folders fixes
- Windows guests: fix other services failing if seamless mode was not available
- Linux guests: kernel module build fixes for various kernels (bugs #18677 and #18697; fixes by Larry Finger and Gianfranco Costamagna)
- Linux guests: do not try to load old versions of libcrypt on recent guests in Guest Additions tools (bug #18682)
- Linux guests: udev rules for guest kernel modules did not always take effect in time
- Linux guests/VMSVGA: do not forget the guest screen size after a guest reboot
- OS/2 guests: various shared folder fixes
Apps similar to VirtualBox 5
Software for developers and system administrators for software development, testing and deployment.
- Free to Try
Run virtual machines created by VMware Workstation, GSX Server or ESX Server.
Create multiple virtual machines on any Intel-based Mac.
- Free to Try