VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
Virtual machine descriptions in XML.
The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
Guest Additions for Windows, Linux and Solaris.
VirtualBox has special software that can be installed inside Windows, Linux and Solaris virtual machines to improve performance and make integration much more seamless. Among the features provided by these Guest Additions are mouse pointer integration and arbitrary screen solutions (e.g. by resizing the guest window). There are also guest additions for OS/2 with somewhat reduced functionality.
Like many other virtualization solutions, for easy data exchange between hosts and guests, VirtualBox allows for declaring certain host directories as "shared folders", which can then be accessed from within virtual machines.
- User interface: various improvements for high resolution screens
- User interface: added functionality to duplicate optical and floppy images
- User interface: various improvements for the virtual media manager
- VMM: fixed emulation so that Plan 9 guests can start once more (5.1.0 regression)
- Storage: fixed regression breaking iSCSI (bug #17196)
- Audio: added HDA support for more exotic guests (e.g. Haiku)
- Serial: fixed hanging I/O when using named pipes on Windows (5.2.0 regression; bug #17227)
- Serial: fixed broken communication with certain devices on Linux hosts
- USB/OHCI: improved behavior so that the controller state after a VM reset is closer to the initial state after VM start
- EFI: fixed HFS+ driver which in rare cases failed to access most files on a volume
- Shared clipboard: fixed hang with OS X host and Linux guest (bug #15782)
- Linux hosts: fixed kernel module compilation and start failures with Linux kernel 4.14 (bug #17267)
- X11 hosts: better handle WM_CLASS setting (bug #12534)
- Linux guests: fixed kernel module compilation and other problems with Linux kernel 4.14 (bug #12534)
- Linux guests: fixed kernel module compilation and other problems with Linux kernel 4.14
- Linux guests: fixed various 5.2.0 regressions (bug #17163)
- Bridged networking: fixed duplicate EtherType in VLAN/priority tags on Linux (5.2.0 regression; bug #17277)
Apps similar to VirtualBox 5
Run virtual machines created by VMware Workstation, GSX Server or ESX Server.
Software for developers and system administrators for software development, testing and deployment.
Create multiple virtual machines on any Intel-based Mac.