VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
Virtual machine descriptions in XML.
The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
Guest Additions for Windows, Linux and Solaris.
VirtualBox has special software that can be installed inside Windows, Linux and Solaris virtual machines to improve performance and make integration much more seamless. Among the features provided by these Guest Additions are mouse pointer integration and arbitrary screen solutions (e.g. by resizing the guest window). There are also guest additions for OS/2 with somewhat reduced functionality.
Like many other virtualization solutions, for easy data exchange between hosts and guests, VirtualBox allows for declaring certain host directories as "shared folders", which can then be accessed from within virtual machines.
This is a maintenance release. The following items were fixed and/or added:
- Audio: fixed a regression in the Core Audio backend causing a hang when returning from host sleep when processing input buffers
- Audio: fixed a potential crash in the HDA emulation if a stream has no valid mixer sink attached -- thanks to Rink Springer (rink@…)
- Windows hosts: fixed an incompatibility with recent versions of Windows 10 (bug #17977)
- Windows hosts: fixed a number of brigded networking driver crashes (bug #18046)
- Linux Additions: disable 3D for recent guests using Wayland (bug #18116)
- Linux Additions: fix for rebuilding kernel modules for new kernels on RPM guests
- Linux Additions: further fixes for Linux 4.19
- Linux Additions: fixed errors rebuilding initrd files with dracut on EL 6 (bug 18055#)
- Linux Additions: fixed 5.2.20 regression: guests not remembering the screen size after shutdown and restart (bug #18078)
Apps similar to VirtualBox 5
Software for developers and system administrators for software development, testing and deployment.
Run virtual machines created by VMware Workstation, GSX Server or ESX Server.
Create multiple virtual machines on any Intel-based Mac.