Mail Account Setup Wizard
Prior to this feature you had to know your IMAP, SMTP, and SSL/TLS settings. Now all you need to provide is your name, email address, and password and the email account set up wizardry will check our database and find the email settings for you.
Personalized Email Addresses
Ever dreamed of having a personalized email address (such as "firstname.lastname@example.org") for you, your family or your business? Thunderbird makes this easy - you can sign up for a new email address within Thunderbird, and it will all be set up automatically for you ready to send and receive.
One-click Address Book
One-click Address Book is a quick and easy way to add people to your address book. Add people by simply clicking on the star icon in the message you receive. Two clicks and you can add more details like a photo, birthday, and other contact information.
The attachment reminder looks for the word attachment (and other words like file types) in the body of your message and reminds you to add an attachment before hitting send.
Enjoy real-time conversation with your contacts, right from your favorite messaging application, with multiple supported networks. Thunderbird makes it easy to search through both past conversations and received emails.
Thunderbird replicates the new look and feel of Mozilla Firefox in an effort to provide a similar user experience across all Mozilla software desktop or mobile and all platforms.
Tabbed email lets you load emails in separate tabs so you can quickly jump between them. Tabs appear on the top of the menu bar providing a powerful visual experience and allowing the toolbars to be much more contextual.
Tabbed email lets you keep multiple emails open for easy reference. Double-clicking or hitting Enter on a mail message will open that message in a new tab.
When quitting Thunderbird, visible tabs will be saved and will be restored when you open Thunderbird the next time. There is also a Tab menu on the Tab toolbar to help you switch between tabs.
Search the Web
You can now search the Web without having to leave Thunderbird. Type whatever comes to mind in Thunderbird’s search box and choose from several different search providers.
You can also highlight words in your email, right click, and select "search the web for:" to start your Web search.
Quick Filter Toolbar
The Quick Filter Toolbar lets you filter your email faster. Start typing in words in the Quick Filter search box and the results are displayed instantly. Or you can filter your email by New Messages, Tags, and people in your Address Book. You can also "Pin" or save a Filter and use it across multiple folders.
The search interface in Thunderbird contains filtering and timeline tools to pinpoint the exact email you’re looking for. Thunderbird also indexes all of your emails and chat conversations to help you search even faster. Your search results are displayed in a tab so you can easily switch back and forth to your search results and other email.
If you think you’re going to need an email in the future but want it out of your inbox without deleting it, archive it! Archiving helps you manage your inbox and put your email into the archive folder system.
Selecting the Archive button or hitting the ‘A’ key will archive your email.
The Activity Manager records all the interactions between Thunderbird and your email provider in one place. There’s no more guess work. You only have to look in one place to see everything that’s happening with your email.
- File link attachments can now be linked to again instead of uploading them again
- Mark all folders of an account as read
- Run filters periodically. Improved filter logging.
- OAuth2 authentication for Yandex
- Language packs can now be selected in the Advanced Options. Preference intl.multilingual.enabled needs to be set (and possily also extensions.langpacks.signatures.required needs to be set to false)
- On Windows a 64bit installer and MSI package are now available, see the Thunderbird for Organisations page for details
- Added a policy engine that allows customized Thunderbird deployments in enterprise environments, using Windows Group Policy or a cross-platform JSON file
- TCP keepalive for IMAP protocol
- Full Unicode support for MAPI interfaces: New support for MAPISendMailW
- To protect your profile data against a downgrade, Thunderbird 68 may display a message "You have launched an older version of Thunderbird" and will not allow opening a specific profile. Workaround: start with option --allow-downgrade. See this support article for details.
- Calendar: Time zone data can now include past and future changes. All known time zone changes from 2018 to 2022 are included.
- Chat: In each conversation an individual spellcheck language can be selected now
- Add-on support: Add-ons are only supported if add-on authors have adapted them
- Dictionary support: Only WebExtension dictionaries are supported now. Both addons.mozilla.org and addons.thunderbird.net now provide WebExtension dictionaries.
- Theme support: Only WebExtension themes are supported now. Both addons.mozilla.org and addons.thunderbird.net now provide WebExtension themes.
- The stand-alone options window has been removed, all options are now shown in a tab
- Changed UI when installing add-ons
- Various theme improvements including a dark message list/thread pane
- Application menu aka "Hamburger menu"
- Improvements when entering, selecting and removing recipients in the Write window
- FileLink: WeTransfer is already included. Dropbox and Box.com using the new WebExtensions FileLink API are available as add-ons, amongst others.
- Text and background colors in the Write window and custom colors for tags are no longer restricted to a fixed 10x7 matrix of HTML colors
- Composition text and background colors no longer sent by default. New option in "Tools > Options, Composition".
- UI improvements for external and detached attachments, now showing as links with new menu option "Open Containing Folder"
- Improved phishing attempt detection for messages with certain forms
- Improvements to scam warnings
- Reply to self will now search all identities (default of preference mailnews.reply_to_self_check_all_ident changed to true)
- Maildir now uses the message ID as file name and "eml" as file extension
- Auto-compact threshold increased from 20 MB to 200 MB
- Calendar: UI improvements for event dialog
- Calendar: Thunderbird's calendar add-on Lightning now uses the same version numbering scheme
- Column choice and sort order in "Search Messages" dialog lost after relaunch
- Global indexer causing high CPU loads under some circumstances
- Tags set on IMAP folders sometimes not visible to other users
- SMTP password wasn't removed when account was deleted or server or user name were changed
- Mbox to Maildir conversion not working if Windows search integration is enabled
- Mails won't get removed from Trash folder using Maildir. Note: Other deletion issues related to Maildir may still persist.
- When sending of a message failed due a security issue, only "unknown error" was displayed. Now more details are given.
- Improvements of SMTP 5.7.1 message
- Calendar: Multiple connections with different users to the same CalDAV server not working
- Chat: Fixed XMPP authentication when using SASL
Apps similar to Mozilla Thunderbird 8
Take control of your day with Postbox’s clean and super-customizable interface. Make your email work for you, just the way you need it to.
- Free to Try
Web-browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple.
Make your email incredible.