There is no trade-off of functionality for security: the Web site can use the full range of active content tools, and if it uses these tools maliciously to install software or otherwise make changes in your computer, then these changes can be easily undone.
Sandboxie has originally been designed to increase the security of browsing with Internet Explorer, however it is just as effective with any other browser, and in fact, any other program. Sandboxie wraps a protection layer around the programs it supervises. It is this layer that intercepts and isolates any changes the programs make to the computer. And this layer is impartial to the specific program it wraps.
Sandboxie was designed as an application that will allow you isolates and quarantines website.
When you browse the web, changes occur to your computer system. Most of the time these changes are harmless, like recording the addresses of web sites you have visited (and when), so the browser can help you complete a web address that you type in. Whether these changes are harmless or harmful, they do in fact happen to your computer system.
When you use Sandboxie to protect your browsing session, it catches all these changes just as the browser is about to apply them into your computer system. Sandboxie does record these changes on behalf of the browser, but it records them in a special isolated folder, called the sandbox.
The benefit of having a sandbox is that it ensures your ability to get rid of all changes done by the browser, simply by deleting the sandbox folder.
Another useful feature of Sandboxie is the ability to terminate all sandboxed programs at once. As some web sites tend to pop up three new browser windows for each one you close, you can have Sandboxie close all of them with a click of a button.
- Windows 10 Creator's Fall Update is now supported.
- Made improvements to ForceFolder including adding support for "Open With" dialogs, and running registry files.
- Fixed licensing issues causing MS Office applications to crash after 5 minutes [https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24350].
- Fixed Firefox/General Drag-Drop issues [https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24469].
- Fixed Save/Recovery issues for Adobe/MS Office [https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=129386#p129386].
- Fixed an issue in which Sandboxed Internet Explorer proxy settings would modify the registry on the host [https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=129638#p129638].
- Added/Updated templates for AVG, BitDefender, Babylon and Opera.
- Implemented code fixes to address "SBIE2101" issues caused by Windows Defender "App & Browser Control" in Windows 8.1 and 10 [If you are using the "Windows SmartScreen Template from Beta 5.21.7, you will need to remove it after installing Sandboxie 5.22].
- Implemented a driver fix for a BSOD occurring when Webroot is installed and a new Sandbox is created while a ForceProcess is started.
Note: Sandboxie is shareware software but you are downloading the free version. The free version is missing a few features which are available in the paid version. After 30 days of use, the free version displays reminders to upgrade to the paid version, but remains functional. For personal use, you are encouraged, but not required, to upgrade to the paid version.