The goal of the FlightGear project is to create a sophisticated and open flight simulator framework for use in research or academic environments, pilot training, as an industry engineering tool, for DIY-ers to pursue their favorite interesting flight simulation idea, and last but certainly not least as a fun, realistic, and challenging desktop flight simulator. We are developing a sophisticated, open simulation framework that can be expanded and improved upon by anyone interested in contributing.
There are many exciting possibilities for an open, free flight sim. We hope that this project will be interesting and useful to many people in many areas. Source code for the entire project is available and licensed under the GNU General Public License.
- Over 20,000 real world airports included in the full scenery set.
- Correct runway markings and placement, correct runway and approach lighting.
- Taxiways available for many larger airports (even including the green center line lights when appropriate.)
- Sloping runways (runways change elevation like they usually do in real life.)
- Directional airport lighting that smoothly changes intensity as your relative view direction changes.
- World scenery fits on 3 DVD's. (I'm not sure that's a feature or a problem!) But it means we have pretty detailed coverage of the entire world.
- Accurate terrain worldwide, based on the most recently released SRTM terrain data.) 3 arc second resolution (about 90m post spacing) for North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia.
- Scenery includes all vmap0 lakes, rivers, roads, railroads, cities, towns, land cover, etc.
- Nice scenery night lighting with ground lighting concentrated in urban areas (based on real maps) and headlights visible on major highways. This allows for realistic night VFR flying with the ability to spot towns and cities and follow roads.
- Scenery tiles are paged (loaded/unloaded) in a separate thread to minimize the frame rate hit when you need to load new areas.
- Improved control for aircraft carriers
- Improved "Classic theme" with better fonts and colours
- Canvas MapStructure support for SlippyMaps, including VFRCharts, STAMEN,
- Various improvements to the Launcher
- Atmospheric Light Scattering renderer: extra volumetric vegetation layers for denser undergrowth
- Active Volcanos, including Kilauea, Stromboli, Etna,
- New Hawaii regional texture definitions
- Several scenic waterfalls in the Hawaii area
- New and unique vegetation textures for several parts of the world
- New 3D Objects: Buildings and structures in France, Portugal, Spain, UK, USA, Australia and Ukraine
- Improved airports: Valle del Conlara Airport (SAOS) in Argentina, RAF Mount Pleasant (EGYP) in Falkland Islands UK, Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport (LFBD) in France and King Abdulaziz International Airport (OEJN) in Saudi Arabia.
Significant Aircraft Updates
- A new glider: Rolladen-Schneider LS4
- Space Shuttle improvements
- Cessna 182S
- Amelia - an animated and hard-working co-pilot for the Alouette III capable of taking off and landing
- Citation II
- F-14 - various changes including improved carrier operations
- Robinson R44 helicopter
- Major DHC-6 Twin Otter update: JSBSim variant added (status: experimental), more realistic fuel system in JSBSim, significantly more detailed simulation of the electrical system including various DC and AC buses, circuit breakers and bus tie relay.
- CH Products Throttle Quadrant supported out-of-the-box. Thanks to CH Products for providing a sample quadrant.
- Improved support for add-ons
- Support NMEA traffic alerts (e.g. flarm) to allow FG to feed AI/MP traffic to Nav/moving map clients such as xcsoar, skydemon, skymap
- Improvements to YASIM, including multiple wing sections, support for whole-stabilizer trim, better information from CLI tools
- More realistic carrier landings with improvements to the JSBSim arrestor wire behaviour.
- More AI traffic with up to date flight schedules and liveries.
- Complete release notes here.
Apps similar to FlightGear 3
League of Legends (LoL) is a multiplayer online battle arena video game developed by Riot Games. It is a free-to-play game, supported by micro-transactions.
The #1 Battle Royale game has come to Android! Squad up and compete to be the last one standing in 100 player PvP. Build cover. Battle your enemies. Survive the longest. Earn you victory.
Star Wars: The Old Republic is the only massively-multiplayer online game with a Free-to-Play option that puts you at the center of your own story-driven Star Wars saga.