What is Clonezilla?
You're probably familiar with the popular proprietary commercial package Norton Ghost®. The problem with these kind of software packages is that it takes a lot of time to massively clone systems to many computers. You've probably also heard of Symantec's solution to this problem, Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition® with multicasting. Well, now there is an OpenSource clone system (OCS) solution called Clonezilla with unicasting and multicasting!
Clonezilla, based on DRBL, Partclone and udpcast, allows you to do bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This increases the clone efficiency. At the NCHC's Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone 41 computers simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes system image to all 41 computers via multicasting!
- Free (GPL) Software.
- Filesystem supported: (1) ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs of GNU/Linux, (2) FAT, NTFS of MS Windows, (3) HFS+ of Mac OS, (4) UFS of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, and (5) VMFS of VMWare ESX. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, and FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, no matter it's 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS. For these file systems, only used blocks in partition are saved and restored. For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by dd in Clonezilla.
- LVM2 (LVM version 1 is not) under GNU/Linux is supported.
- Grub (version 1 and version 2) is supported.
- Unattended mode is supported. Almost all steps can be done via commands and options. You can also use a lot of boot parameters to customize your own imaging and cloning.
- Multicast is supported in Clonezilla SE, which is suitable for massively clone. You can also remotely use it to save or restore a bunch of computers if PXE and Wake-on-LAN are supported in your clients.
- The image file can be on local disk, ssh server, samba server, or NFS server.
- Based on Partclone (default), Partimage (optional), ntfsclone (optional), or dd to image or clone a partition. However, Clonezilla, containing some other programs, can save and restore not only partitions, but also a whole disk.
- By using another free software drbl-winroll, which is also developed by us, the hostname, group, and SID of cloned MS windows machine can be automatically changed.
Minimum System Requirements for Clonezilla live:
- X86 or x86-64 processor
- 196 MB of system memory (RAM)
- Boot device, e.g. CD/DVD Drive, USB port, PXE, or hard drive
- The destination partition must be equal or larger than the source one.
- Differential/incremental backup is not implemented yet.
- Online imaging/cloning is not implemented yet. The partition to be imaged or cloned has to be unmounted.
- Software RAID/fake RAID is not supported by default. It's can be done manually only.
- Due to the image format limitation, the image can not be explored or mounted. You can NOT recovery single file from the image. However, you still have workaround to make it, read this.
- Recovery Clonezilla live with multiple CDs or DVDs is not implemented yet. Now all the files have to be in one CD or DVD if you choose to create the recovery iso file.
Clonezilla itself is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2. However, to run Clonezilla, a lot of free and open source software, e.g. the Linux kernel, a mininal GNU/Linux OS, are required.
This release of Clonezilla live (2.6.1-25) includes major enhancements and bug fixes.
Enhancements and Changes from 2.6.0-37
- The underlying GNU/Linux operating system was upgraded. This release is based on the Debian Sid repository (as of 2019/Apr/20).
- From this release the AMD64 version works for uEFI secure boot.
- Linux kernel was updated to 4.19.28-2.
- Partclone was updated to 0.3.12+git00e0212.
- Package ezio-static was updated to 1.1.8.
- Package vbetool was added. Thanks to Joerg Schiermeier for asking this
- Package mbmon was added.
- Add USB NIC modules in initramfs of live system. Ref: https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_server_edition/thread/de7c4f810a/
- A new mode for Clonezilla lite server was added: massive deployment from raw device using bittorrent mechanism. About the usage, please check https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/12_lite_server_BT_from_dev
- For Clonezilla lite sever, change ezio_seeder_extra_opt as ezio_seeder_opt. Add two more options: ezio_leecher_opt and ezio_common_opt in drbl-ocs.conf. These three options can also be overwritten if it's assigned in boot parameters.
- Assign "-t 1" for ezio_leecher_opt so that ezio will timeout in 1 min.
- Add nuttcp as an alternative to netcat in ocs-onthefly. Add dialog for choosing compression algorithm in expert mode. Option "-u" was added in the dialog of expert mode to use nuttcp.
- To avoid OOM killer to kill ezio, we use the multi torrent files support (ezio >= 1.1.6) and limit the cache size. It can be tuned by ezio_cache_ratio in drbl-ocs.conf.
- Add a mechanism to reuse image for BT from raw device mode. The option -mdst-img can be used to assign the existing pseudo image.
- Can't create disk image if swap is provided by logical volume listed in crypttab. Thanks to Constantino Michailidis for providing the patch file. Ref: https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/314/
- Add sleep .1 before cat /proc/partitions to file. Thanks to Zibarov Volodymyr. Ref: https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/318/
- Label parsed from EFI boot entry was wrong when multiple OSs are available. This should fix the issue that bricks Dell's machine: https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/bugs/310/. Thanks to Dell US & Taiwan, and AMI Taiwan.
- Live USB version of Clonezilla live should not link /home/partimag to /run/live/medium/home/partimag/ when there is no images exist in /run/live/medium/home/partimag/. The find command was wrong.
- Option "-p poweroff" of ocs-sr did not work when saving partition image with image checking is enabled. Previous fix only works for savedisk. Thanks to ski-777 for reporting this. Ref: https://sourceforge.net/p/clonezilla/discussion/Clonezilla_live/thread/ff5b0d60
Apps similar to Clonezilla Live 5
System disk real-time backup and restore for workstations and home PCs.
- Free to Try
Win32-based backup and restore utility that creates a snapshot of an entire partition.
- Free to Try
The Free Edition of HDClone clones an entire hard disk to another, larger medium.