Using MediaPortal, you can listen to your favorite music and radio; watch your videos and DVDs; or view, schedule and record live TV, much like a digital video recorder such as TiVo, but better. And that's only the basic features.
MediaPortal 2.1 is a full-blown media center software that addresses the most common user requirements out of the box. Besides its TV and Radio services it is also offering a complete media management for movies, series and music, including posters, album and fan art as well as additional metadata (e.g. actor, director and much more) that are automatically downloaded from the internet. MediaPortal 2.1 also provides access to online video sources such as Amazon Prime. Integrated news, weather information and management for your digital images complete this software package.
The modern client/server architecture in combination with the central database greatly simplifies the use and management of the system. New clients can easily be added to the environment and connected to the MediaPortal 2 Server for immediate use.
Unlike many other Media Center programs, MediaPortal was designed especially for Microsoft Windows. Thus, the performance and playback quality is unsurpassed. No additional hardware or commercial software is required.
You can play any file that you can play in Windows. In Windows 7, codecs are included, and supported by MP out of the box. So you do not need to install anything to play all your files.
Hardware and Network
MediaPortal works on many different configurations. You don't need a fancy, expensive system. You can just connect your TV and sound system to your existing PC and be up and running in no time. Simply configure MediaPortal to display on your TV screen.
Use your mouse, a touch screen, keyboard or remote. Display either fullscreen or in windowed mode. It's your choice.
If you prefer, you can set up a separate Home Theatre PC (HTPC) to run MediaPortal, and even connect it to your existing network.
Or, you can configure an advanced network with MediaPortal on the server and as many 'client' PCs as you like. Network architecture is fully supported, so you can stream radio, music, video and live or recorded TV throughout your home.
Most common remotes are supported natively and you can easily configure them however you like. Or, configure MediaPortal to recognize your own remote. You can decide which keys you want to use for which actions.
IR Server Suite (IRSS) expands support to 28 more remotes, from iMON to Wii and MacMini. With IRSS you can create layers for your remote so one key can perform many functions. If you want to press the 'Green Button" and start MP, then use the built in Tray Launcher application. Or, use Translator to create macros for control of other devices, like your Blu-Ray player.
MediaPortal provides a variety of options to allow you to customize the interface yourself.
There are two Home Screens: Home and Basic Home. Both can be customized, but BasicHome allows even more flexibility in style and layout and is often used by community skins to support submenus, weather forecasts, RSS feeds and more all on the Home Screen.
Menus and Context Menus are available throughout MediaPortal to allow you to select and even configure options for the window you are viewing.
TV and PVR Support
MediaPortal offers you the most powerful TV Engine and PVR (Personal Video Recorder) available today. You can do everything a TiVO can do, and more, but for free.
There is no limit to the number of TV Cards you can use. A vast array of TV Cards are supported, including analog cards. With a single DVB/ATSC card you can watch and record more than one channel. Cards supporting BDA driver architecture require no configuration.
Over 30 languages are supported by MediaPortal. You don't need to install a separate version or a plugin, just select your language and away you go.
Plugins & Skins
MediaPortal was designed to be extended. There are hundreds of amazing plugins available to do almost anything you can imagine.
Skins are more than just themes. They not only change the look and feel of MediaPortal, but often the way you interact with it. There are dozens of skins available, you are sure to find one that suits your taste.
Plugins and Skins are fully and smoothly integrated into MediaPortal. They can be installed and updated using a common Extensions Installer, and configured using the standard interface.
Installation is very easy with our installer (Deploy Tool). It will check your system and prompt you if any required components are missing or need updating.
Configure all main features, plugins, and skins in a single, easy to use interface. The same interface is used to configure the TV Server and it's plugins. User files, log files and updates to plugins and skins have links for easy access right on the Configuration screen.
Diagnostics are built into MediaPortal - Watchdog will automatically capture log files whenever an error occurs. You can even choose the level of error reporting you wish.
The Debug-Mode shortcut, on the Windows Start Menu, automates the entire procedure, clearing previous logs, starting up MediaPortal collecting logs in debug mode when you exit and storing them in a zip file on your desktop for you to submit in the Forums.
What's New 2.1.1:
This service upgrade fixes several bugs and introduces some new features:
We increased the speed and improved the stability of the importer process. We also removed OMDB from the list of online sources to choose from, as it is no longer free to use. A visual indicator has been added to each skin and theme to inform the user that an importer process is ongoing.
We added the possibility to manually schedule recordings: schedules can now be defined for any channel by simply setting start and end times/dates.
The recording indicator that is displayed on each menu screen while the system is recording a show is now visible in all skins and themes.
A new setup option now allows users to change the logo style of TV/Radio channels. Besides a new channel group button to swich groups, we also added configuration options to define if name, logo and number of each TV channel should be displayed in the EPG
A visual indicator will be shown when the playback is paused.
Fast forward/rewind now displays the speed of playback.
We replaced the weather provider WorldWeatherOnline by OpenWeatherMap. The Weather screen now displays a full seven days of weather forecast instead five.
The settings menu section has been overworked and now displays its entries in a more logical order and structure.
- [MP2-236] - No play/pause indicator displayed when pausing or continuing a video
- [MP2-491] - DirectoryEntryNeighborhoodBrwoser throws exceptions in a Domain environment
- [MP2-543] - OnlineLibraries: Converting to/from unix date can fail for some localisations
- [MP2-544] - Erroneous closing tag in BV SlimTvClient-schedulelist.xaml
- [MP2-549] - VirtualizingWrapPanel allocates all items when restortng state
- [MP2-550] - Scroll animations can break looping to first/last item
- [MP2-555] - BluRay ISO files are alternately added and removed at each importer run
- [MP2-561] - Multi-episode files: episode numbers not sorted in summary
- [MP2-562] - Single items cannot be added to playlist
- [MP2-563] - WASAPI not working for sample rates > 48 kHz
- [MP2-565] - Trakt: Add bi-directional synchronization
- [MP2-567] - Removing shares not working well
- [MP2-573] - Installer is not removing TrayLauncher and ServiceMonitor
- [MP2-574] - Weather: Detect city fails
- [MP2-577] - Tray Launcher displays wrong "Autostart" status
- [MP2-580] - Certain Asian language characters not displaying
- [MP2-581] - Graphics device reset when navigating in Music Cover View
- [MP2-584] - NetworkNeighborhoodBrowser displays all kind of objects in domain environments
- [MP2-585] - MPEG codec causes MP2 to freeze when switching AC3 source
- [MP2-588] - Music Filtering: Album with multi-tagged artist entries is not correctly sorted
- [MP2-589] - Cannot play Audio and DVD discs from physical drive
- [MP2-590] - Cannot select video stream in multi-stream files
- [MP2-591] - Audio channel mapping of 5.0 files is wrong
- [MP2-592] - Cannot play BluRay ISO files
- [MP2-594] - Occasionally no TV picture when changing channels
- [MP2-596] - Importer should ignore leading spaces in media tags
- [MP2-598] - Timer controlled models can cause crash on shutdown
- [MP2-599] - Album Artist filter returns track artists instead
- [MP2-600] - Trim audio tags during import
- [MP2-606] - Importer sometimes assigns Album Artist picture instead Artist
- [MP2-616] - Remote Client cannot delete TV recordings
- [MP2-623] - Importer is not releasing DVD/BR iso's
- [MP2-626] - Updating user play data fails in some cases
- [MP2-630] - Taglib is not correctly reading variable bit rate information
- [MP2-632] - HttpServer deadlock on shutdown
- [MP2-637] - Player Control shows wrong duration
- [MP2-643] - DVB-T radio playback not working
- [MP2-646] - DVD folder structure data is removed/readded during import
- [MP2-647] - Subtitles can't be turned off again in Live TV
- [MP2-649] - Title is not shown in the footer for videos
- [MP2-650] - OSD doesn't show up on info press
- [MP2-539] - Add a service to allow server plugins to notify clients of state changes
- [MP2-568] - Simplify change of logging level
- [MP2-575] - EPG is not automatically updating when time elapses
- [MP2-602] - Add splitter configuration functionality to settings
- [MP2-613] - Add 'Disc' as additional filter level
- [MP2-614] - Add 'Blank screen' as an additional screen saving option
- [MP2-619] - Extend Fanart download to include thumb picture
- [MP2-540] - Update CurrentAPI of effected components prior to MP2.1 release
- [MP2-572] - Restore original 2.1 splash screen
- [MP2-586] - Remove unnecessary Dokan-related strings from language files
- [MP2-330] - ServiceMonitor's main window is displayed for a short time even if -m argument is used
- [MP2-471] - Visual Indicator, when MP2 is recording
- [MP2-545] - Fix audio "sort by album artists"
- [MP2-566] - Upgrade Dokan 1.0.0 to Dokan 1.0.1
- [MP2-578] - Adjust BV skin settings similar to WMC implementation
- [MP2-582] - Audio device selection shows too many devices
- [MP2-583] - Consolidate menu texts in Filter/Sort/Group dialogues
- [MP2-587] - Update SQLite to 1.0.104
- [MP2-595] - Optimise Media Library methods for importing and updating media items
- [MP2-604] - Add configuration for share watchers
- [MP2-620] - Upgrade Bass libraries
- [MP2-622] - Add thumb support for movies and series
- [MP2-625] - Rework UI audio player settings
- [MP2-631] - Extend WorkflowManager service to easily execute actions
- [MP2-641] - Upgrade Dokan 1.0.1 to Dokan 1.0.3
- [MP2-642] - Upgrade LAV 0.68.1 to latest version
What's New 1.17.0:
- We fixed some bugs with video views, especially collections, user groups and libraries. We also added new properties to display icons of movie awards, extended MPAA text and movie awards text. Skinners now have the possibility to add badges for collections, user groups, new and actualized movies, watched/unwatched movies etc. as overlays in nearly all layouts like thumbnailpanel, filmstrip and coverflow. DefaultWideHD already shows some of the new functions.
- The lists in TV Recordings now show the year of the recording, e.g. 12-03 2016 instead of only 12-03. We also added the functionality of moving or deleting channels from/to channel groups inside the GUI via context menu in TV EPG. We also fixed an issue that recording files were left open by the Streaming Server
- We fixed the problem of scaling issues when using MP in windowed mode or other resolutions than the standard resolution of 1920x1080.
- We fixed a proplem with Watchdog crashing on failure when trying to copy TV Server gentle.config as well as Watchdog not grabbing all TV Server configuration files.
- We fixed an issue with MiniDisplay not showing the correct labels for the actual highlighted button or selected items in a dialog list.
- We updated the MediaInfo.dll to version 0.7.95.