Don't be afraid to experiment, Pinta tracks your full history so you can always undo.
Adjustments and Effects
Pinta includes over 35 adjustments and effects for tweaking your images.
Like docked windows? No problem. Floating windows? No problem. Pinta will even let you mix and match.
Use easy drawing tools to draw freehand, lines, rectangles, ellipses, and more.
Use layers to help separate and group elements of your image for easy editing.
Use Pinta in your language. Pinta is at least partially translated into over 55 languages.
- New Features / Improvements
- Added a tab view to switch between images. The tabs can also be docked side-by-side or pulled into new windows. (#94).
- The Rotate / Zoom dialog now supports zooming and panning (#1252756).
- Added a Smooth Erase tool, which is enabled using the Type menu on the Erase tool’s toolbar (#110).
- The Pencil tool can switch between different blend modes (#124, #1688743).
- Added support for JASC PaintShop Pro palette files (#126).
- The transform tools can now rotate in fixed increments by holding Shift (#134).
- The Move Selected tool can now scale by holding Ctrl (#138).
- Dragging and dropping a URL (e.g. image from a web browser) to download and open the image is now supported (#80, #644123).
- Performance improvements when interacting with selections, particularly for large images (#1428740).
- The Rectangle Select tool now shows different arrow cursors at each corner of the selection (#1188143).
- Added an AppData file for integration with some Linux app stores (#121).
- A new user guide has been written for the Pinta website! Thanks to @jeneira94, @akaro2424, and @anadvu for their contributions!
- .NET 4.5 / Mono 4.0 are now required.
- Mono 6.x is strongly recommended for Mac and Linux users.
- UI improvements to the New Image dialog (#99, [1424547).
- The Rotate / Zoom dialog now rotates in-place instead of changing the layer’s size.
- Cairo blend operations are now used instead of PDN’s managed blend modes (#98, #1248933, #1091910).
- The tool windows can now only be closed with the View -> Tool Windows menu, as it was easy to accidentally close them without knowing how to recover them (#1428720).
- The shortcut for the Intersect selection mode is now Alt + Left Click instead of using Shift, which had caused conflicts with holding Shift to constrain the selection to a square (#1426660).
- Fixed many issues where selection changes did not update correctly (#1438022, #1188924, #1429830, #1098137, #105).
- Fixed incorrect behaviour when using the Shift key to constrain to a square or circle in the Rectangle and Ellipse tools (#1452607).
- The option to expand the canvas when pasting an image now only changes the canvas size in the dimension where the pasted image is larger (#1883623).
- Fixed a bug where Auto Crop used the current layer instead of the entire image when deciding what to crop, and takes the selection into account (#1434928, #1434906).
- Fixed potential crashes when switching tools without any open documents (#1425612).
- Fixed a potential bug where the OK button in the New Image dialog could be incorrectly disabled (#1430203).
- Fixed a crash when clicking on the Open Images pad after closing all images (#1430789).
- Fixed a bug where the Levels dialog closed unexpectedly when clicking on one of the color checkboxes (#1435045).
- The outline width settings on the Text Tool’s toolbar now only show up if they are relevant to the stroke style being used (#1426663).
- Fixed a potential crash creating gradients (#1446217).
- Fixed issues where the selection handles disappeared after pressing Delete (#1424629).
- Fixed several transparency-related issues with premultiplied alpha (#109, #113, #114, #117, #125).
- Corrected display problems in the Move Selected Tool and live previews for effects (#115).
- Add-ins can now load icons correctly (#116).
- Fixed strange behaviour when the width or height of a drawn rounded rectangle is 0 (#112).
- Fixed issues with the text tool on OSX (#1425749).
- Fixed inconsistent labels in the UI (#1579033).
- Fixed issues with the zoom tool under certain locales (#139, #133, #1464855).
- Fixed issues when drawing on very zoomed-in images (#129, #133).
- Fixed issues where brushes could draw outside the selection (#1775709).
- Fixed issues with the docking library (#832395).
- Fixed a bug where undoing a history item could set the background palette color to the foreground color (#1888131).
- Fixed issues where the zoom level was not maintained when undoing a Crop to Selection (#1888885).
- Fixed an error on newer Mono versions when opening URLs via the menu items under the Help menu (#1888883).
- Fixed some occasional crashes on dragging and dropping or pasting into a new image (#1838620, #1508777).
- Fixed issues where using the Rectangle Select tool after the Move Selection or Move Selected Pixels tools did not update correctly (#1889647, #1473430, #1889774).
- Adjusted Pinta.Install.proj to simplify installing to a custom prefix (#781836).
Note: Windows requires .Net 4