The first thing to remember is that Krita is a 2D paint application while other programs such as Photoshop are designed for image manipulation. This means that the other programs may have more features than Krita in general– but Krita has tools that are relevant to digital painting. The tools are designed for concept art, creating comics, and textures. If you use a feature that isn’t listed, make a quick video tutorial and let us know. We’ll put it up to share with everyone.
An intuitive user interface that stays out of your way. The dockers and panels can be moved and customized for your specific workflow. Once you have your setup, you can save it as your own workspace. You can also create your own shortcuts for commonly used tools.
Have a shaky hand? Add a stabilizer to your brush to smoothen it out. Krita includes 3 different ways to smooth and stabilize your brush strokes. There is even a dedicated Dynamic Brush tool where you can add drag and mass.
Quickly pick your color and brush by right-clicking on the canvas. You can also use Krita’s tagging system to swap out the available brushes that are displayed. The ring outside of the color selector contains the most recently used colors. These settings can be configured through the preferences.
Customize your brushes with 9 unique brush engines. Each engine has a large amount of settings to customize your brush. Each brush engine is made to satisfy a specific need such as the Color Smudge engine, Shape engine, Particle engine, and even a filter engine. Once you are done creating your brushes, you can save them and organize them with Krita’s unique tagging system.
It is easy to create seamless textures and patterns now. Press the ‘W’ key while painting to toggle wrap-around mode. The image will make references of itself along the x and y axis. Continue painting and watch all of the references update instantly. No more clunky offsetting to see how your image repeats itself.
Import brush and texture packs from other artists to expand your tool set. If you create some brushes that you love, share them with the world by creating your own bundles. Check out the brush packs that are available in the Resource area.
With a complete rewrite of the vector layer file format, the addition of Python scripting, a new text tool and much more, Krita 4.0 is one of the biggest releases ever. There is so much to explore and enjoy! As a team, we’re happy and proud to have reached this milestone and we’re looking forward to build on Krita 4 for many releases to come.
Before we begin telling you about all the new and improved things, take a moment to read this warning:
Krita 4 has a new file format for vector and text objects. Krita 4 tries to import Krita 3 and older files. Krita 3 and older will not be able to read vector and text objects saved by Krita 4. Because the new file format and the old file format are not 100% compatible, images with vector and text objects might look different in Krita 4. We recommend:
- To always keep a backup of your Krita 3 files before working on them in Krita4!
- In some cases, to convert your vector and text layers to raster layers before working on your old files in Krita 4!
Note that on all platforms it is possible to keep Krita 3 and Krita 4 running side by side. On Windows, use the zip archive downloads, on Linux the appimages and on OSX the disk images, dragged to some other place than Applications. Krita 4 and Krita 3 share settings and resources.
- For 4.0, Tyson Tan has again created an awesome Kiki image. The Chinese plum blossoms symbolise overcoming hardship, so it’s a very apposite image for the first major release of Krita after 2017’s tribulations!
- There is no scripting available on macOS. We had it almost working when the one macbook the project has received a broken update, which undid all our work. G’Mic is also not available on macOS.
- The lock and collapse icons on the docker titlebars are removed: too many people were too confused by them.
If you find a new issue, please consult this draft document on reporting bugs, before reporting an issue. After the 4.0 release, more than 150 bugs were reported, but most of those reports were duplicates, requests for help or just not useful at all. This puts a heavy strain on the developers, and makes it harder to actually find time to improve Krita. Please be helpful!
- Patch QSaveFile so working on images stored in synchronized folders (dropbox, google drive) is safe
- Fix duplicate shortcut on Photoshop scheme
- Alphabetize shortcut to make the diffs easier to read when doing changes
- Make the triangles larger on the categorized list view so they are more visible
- Disable the macro recorder and playback plugin
- Remove the docker titlebar lock and collapse buttons. BUG:385238 BUG:392235
- Set the pixel grid to show up at 2400% zoom by default. BUG:392161
- Improve the layout of the palette docker
- Disable drag and drop in the palette view: moving swatches around did not actually change the palette. BUG:392349
- Fix selecting the last used template in the new document dialog when using appimages. BUG:391973
- Fix canvas lockup when using Guides at the top of the image. BUG:391098
- Do not reset redo history when changing layer’s visibility. BUG:390581
- Fix shifting the pan position after using the popup widget rotation circle. BUG:391921
- Fix height map to normal map in wraparound mode. BUG:392191
- Make it possible to edit the font size in the svg text tool. BUG:392714
- Let Text Shape have empty lines. BUG:392471
- Fix updates of undo/redo actions. BUG:392257
- Implement “Convert text into path” function. BUG:391294
- Fix a crash in SvgTextTool when deleting hovered/selected shape. BUG:392128
- Make the text editor window application modal. BUG:392248
- Fix alignment of RTL text. BUG:392065 BUG:392064
- Fix painting parts of text outside the bounding box on the canvas. BUG:392068
- Fix rendering of the text with relative offsets. BUG:391160
- Fix crash when transforming text with Transform Tool twice. BUG:392127
- Fix handling of keyframes when saving. BUG:392233 BUG:392559
- Keep show in timeline and onion skin options when merging layers. BUG:377358
- Keep keyframe color labels when merging layers. BUG:388913
- Fix exporting out audio with video formats MKV and OGV.
- Do not load/save layer channel flags anymore (channel flags were removed from the UI in Krita 2.9). BUG:392504
- Fix saving of Transform Mask into rendered formats. BUG:392229
- Fix reporting errors when loading fails. BUG:392413
- Fix a memory leak when loading file layers
- Fix loading a krita file with a loop in the clone layers setup. BUG:384587
- Fix showing a wait cursor after loading a PNG image. BUG:392249
- Make bundle loading feedback a bit clearer regarding the bundle.
- Fix crash when creating a vector selection. BUG:391292
- Fix crash when doing right-click on the gradient fill stop opacity input box of a vector BUG:392726
- Fix setting the aspect ratio of vector shapes. BUG:391911
- Fix a crash if a certain shape is not valid when writing SVG. BUG:392240
- Fix hidden stroke and fill widgets not to track current shape selection BUG:391990
Painting and brush engines
- Fix crash when creating a new spray preset. BUG:392869
- Fix rounding of the the pressure curve
- Fix painting with colorsmudge brushes on transparency masks. BUG:391268
- Fix uninitialized distance info for KisHairyPaintOp BUG:391940
- Fix rounding of intermediate pressure values
- Fix the colorsmudge brush when painting in wraparound mode. BUG:392312
Layers and masks
- Fix flattening of group layers with Inherit Alpha property set. BUG:390095
- Fix a crash when using a transformation mask on a file layer. BUG:391270
- Improve performance of the transformation mask
Apps similar to Krita 3
Image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows.
Speedy Painter is an OpenGL based painting software for Windows. It supports Wacom digitizers to vary size and opacity of brush strokes according to pen pressure.
Photoshop CS2 pushes the envelope with powerful features and simplified workflows that provide photographers and creative professionals the freedom to deliver stunning images.