As featured in:
- Rundown of Must-Have Portable Apps
- Windows To Go: How to Install and Run Windows 10 from a USB Drive
- How to Backup USB Drives and Restore Them, Bootable State and All
Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.
Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
- Add optional SHA-512 digest algorithm (Alt-H)Add a cheat mode (Alt+/-) to increase/decrease application priority
- Enable direct provision of install.wim/install.esd for Windows To Go
- Move Windows To Go ESP to the beginning of the drive, on systems that allow it
- Enforce a minimum volume size of 256 MB for ext2/ext3 partitions
- Speed up the scanning of ISOs with lots of Rock Ridge deep directory entries
- Fix detection of GRUB version and update embedded GRUB for Ubuntu 20.10 support
- Fix user interface labels for accessibility
- Work around a Windows bug where the wrong drive letter may be returned
Software similar to Rufus 6
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
YUMI lets you create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple OS, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more.
Create bootable USB drive for ISO files.