As featured in:
Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.
Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
- Improve support for Ubuntu 20.04
- Improve detection of FIXED drives with no mounted partitions
- Improve extfs formatting (courtesy of Marcos Mello)
- Update UEFI:NTFS file system drivers to v1.5
- Fix progress not being updated when using the German localization
- Fix primary GPT being overwritten when adding the protective MBR message
- Fix a regression with lousy security solutions that prevent the creation of an 'autorun.inf'
- Fix an assert during FreeDOS drive creation when the Windows system locale is set to UTF-8
- Fix invalid label errors when using a non-Western locale
Software similar to Rufus 5
YUMI can be used to create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple operating systems, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more. YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
The Windows USB/DVD Download tool allows you to create a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file on a USB flash drive or a DVD.