Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.
Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
- Add a feature to download official retail Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 ISOs
- (Note: 'Check for updates' must be enabled for the above to be active)
- Add Windows To Go support for MCT generated Windows ISOs
- Add a notice about the WppRecorder.sys Microsoft bug for Windows 10 1809 ISOs
- Add a notice about trying to format a drive larger than 2 TB in MBR mode
- Add a notice about Legacy boot when trying to boot UEFI-only media in Legacy mode
- Report the full PID and command line of potentially blocking processes in the log
- Fix a potential silent abort when the drive is in use
- Fix 'Quick Format' option always being activated
- Fix potential change of the selected file system after an ISO has been loaded
- Fix Win7 x64 EFI bootloader not being extracted in dual BIOS+UEFI mode (Alt-E)
Apps similar to Rufus 5
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
YUMI can be used to create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple operating systems, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more. YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
The Windows USB/DVD Download tool allows you to create a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file on a USB flash drive or a DVD.