As featured in:
- Rundown of Must-Have Portable Apps
- Windows To Go: How to Install and Run Windows 10 from a USB Drive
- How to Backup USB Drives and Restore Them, Bootable State and All
Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.
Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
- Add a cheat mode (Alt-M) to accept disk images without a Boot Marker
- Add marquee operation progress to the taskbar icon
- Add zeroing/image writing progress to the log
- Switch to using 0x55 and 0xAA instead of 0x00 and 0xFF for low pass badblock check
- Switch to using fake/manufacturer units when computing the default label
- Fix overnumerous write retries on error when writing a disk image
- Work around Windows' abysmal handling of removable drives that contain an ESP
- Improve mounting/unmounting of volumes
- Update UEFI:NTFS file system drivers to version 1.7
- Other internal fixes and improvements (VDS, error reporting, etc.)
Software similar to Rufus 6
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive.
YUMI lets you create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple OS, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more.
UNetbootin Universal Netboot Installer - allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD.
More similar downloads