As featured in:
- Rundown of Must-Have Portable Apps
- Windows To Go: How to Install and Run Windows 10 from a USB Drive
- How to Backup USB Drives and Restore Them, Bootable State and All
Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, etc.
Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
- Update GRUB to version 2.06
- Add support for .vtsi files (Ventoy Sparse Image, courtesy of longpanda/ventoy)
- Add workaround for openSUSE Live ISOs
- Move default app directory to %LocalAppData%\Rufus\ and always save a log there on exit
- Fix AppStore version of Rufus not being able to store downloaded files
- Fix failure to open Syslinux/GRUB files when Rufus is located at the root of a drive
- Prevent the creation of System Volume Information on ESPs written in DD mode
- Prevent drive letter assignation to the UEFI:NTFS partition
- Prevent persistent partition creation errors due to size
- Wnhance safety checks before running the Fido ISO download script
- Other internal fixes and improvements
Recent Rufus news
Software similar to Rufus 6
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive.
YUMI lets you create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple OS, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more.
Create bootable USB drive for ISO files.
More similar downloads