At GitHub, we're building the text editor we've always wanted. A tool you can customize to do anything, but also use productively on the first day without ever touching a config file. Atom is modern, approachable, and hackable to the core. We can't wait to see what you build with it. You can also try the latest beta for Atom here.
Taking the web native
Atom is a desktop application based on web technologies. Like other desktop apps, it has its own icon in the dock, native menus and dialogs, and full access to the file system.
Node.js support makes it trivial to access the file system, spawn subprocesses, and even start servers directly from within your editor. Need a library? Choose from over 50 thousand in Node's package repository. Need to call into C or C++? That's possible, too.
Atom is composed of over 50 open-source packages that integrate around a minimal core. Our goal is a deeply extensible system that blurs the distinction between "user" and "developer".
Don't like some part of Atom? Replace it with your own package, then upload it to the central repository on atom.io so everyone else can use it too.
Full-featured, right out of the box
No one wants to waste time configuring their editor before they can start using it. Atom comes loaded with the features you've come to expect from a modern text editor. Here are a few of them:
- File system browser
- Fuzzy finder for quickly opening files
- Fast project-wide search and replace
- Multiple cursors and selections
- Multiple panes
- Code folding
- A clean preferences UI
- Import TextMate grammars and themes
- #20804 - Fix multi cursor correct setting
- #20910 - Add async and await keywords to Rust highlighter
- atom/language-gfm#240 - Improve GitHub favoured markdown syntax highlighting
- atom/language-php#377 - Add support for arrow functions
- atom/language-php#378 - Add support for numeric literal separator
- atom/language-php#379 - Add missing operators: spread, exponentiation, null coalescing
- atom/language-php#380 - Add support for typed properties, anonymous classes, object serialization
- atom/language-php#384 - Fix parsing class with capital letter after instanceof correctly
To customize Atom you should check out the packages available here.
OSX 10.8 or later
Software similar to Atom 4
Free source code editor which supports several programming languages running under the MS Windows environment.
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try
- Free to Try