It can clean up leftovers, detect orphaned applications, run uninstallers according to premade lists, and much more. Even though BCU was made with IT pros in mind, by default it is so straight-forward that anyone can use it effortlessly.
Why should I use this uninstaller instead of any other?
While it is true that there are many different uninstall managers out there, only few come close to the detection rate and versatility of Bulk Crap Uninstaller, When compared to the stock windows uninstall manager you might find that BCU will show many times more applications. To top it off, BCU is fully free and open source. You can freely modify it to suit your needs, or even better help improve it for the rest of its users!
Uninstall countless applications quickly
BCUninstaller will do all the hard work of ordering and running uninstallers for you. All you have to do is select them from the list. Many applications do not provide non-intrusive uninstallers. They will be executed first, so you will be able to leave the computer sooner.
Remove all leftovers from uninstallations
Often times uninstallers will not remove files that were created after the application was installed - temporary files, settings, shortcuts, etc. BCUninstaller will search for and offer to remove all of those, saving you many minutes, if not hours.
Detect orphaned applications
Oftentimes applications end up without a working uninstaller. They sit on your hard drive, you might even be using them, but most uninstall managers will not see them. BCUninstaller will detect, list, and enable you to remove those applications.
As any uninstall manager in existence BCU has a startup manager. It is not a useless gadget however, it has some powerful functions. The manager is tied into the main application list - you can see which applications are starting on boot and disable them.
BCUninstaller has a growing collection of localisations. At this time there are English, French, German and Polish translations. If you wish to help translate BCU to your language please contact me through the feedback page.
Uninstall lists and searching
You can create special lists that will automatically select all matching uninstallers. One of the most common uses for these is uninstalling crapware from a series of similar computers in classrooms or offices. Many different filtering methods are available, all of which are also available for searching in the main list!
Verification of certificates
Think that malware might be impersonating a legitimate application? BCUninstaller will look for and test digital signatures attached to the uninstallers. Green entries are verified, while blue failed verification for some reason. Take note that it is common for legitimate MSI uninstallers to fail verification, this is caused by internal workings of Windows Installer.
More data than you'd ever need
Wondering about what GUIDs are in use, where the application is installed to, or who signed the certificate? BCU will tell you all that and much, much more. The search algorithm will look through all of that data when filtering. While most of the time there is little use for all of that info, it can be a godsend while trying to corner a worm or debug your uninstaller.
Other notable features:
- Detection and uninstallation of Windows Store apps
- Uninstallation of multiple items at once (with collision prevention)
- Advanced grouping, sorting, filtering and searching
- Automatic detection and closing of running applications
- Automatic updating and error reporting
- Custom commands can be executed before and after uninstallation
- Editing tools and backup creation - can generate .reg files and remove junk to recycle bin
- Fully portable, requires Net 3.5 which is installed on all Windows 7 machines by default
- Quiet (unattended) uninstall of many programs when they don't openly support it
- Visibility of protected and invalid entries (system uninstaller doesn't see them)
- Added detection for applications installed by Scoop
- Added export command to bcu-console and updated help
- Added "App" and "Game" folders to potential executable folder names
- Added App.config to bcu-console, fixes some issues
- Added Slant.co search engine
- Added context menu to uninstall progress list to help with accessibility
- Added partial Japanese translation (very limited)
- Improved certificate caching, startup speedup after 1st start if cachin is enabled
- Improved loading times by using Everything search engine if installed
- Improved detection of application binary folders - better portable/unregistered scan and exe detection
- Fixed BCU-console not scanning some application stores
- Fixed ComScanner crashing on some registry configurations
- Fixed crash on invalid COM entries
- Fixed crashes on some Japanese systems
- Fixed main application list being unresponsive during uninstaller processing
- Fixed some tr translations not being used