Here at resin.io we have thousands of users working through our getting started process and until recently we were embarassed about the steps that involved burning an SD card. There was a separate track for each Mac/Windows/Ubuntu and several manual and error prone steps along the way.
To our surprise there was nothing out there that fitted our needs. So we built balenaEtcher, a SD card burner app that is simple for end users, extensible for developers, and works on any platform.
No more writing images on corrupted cards and wondering why your device isn't booting.
Hard Drive Friendly
Makes drive selection obvious to avoid wiping your entire hard-drive
Who said burning SD cards has to be an eyesore.
Made with JS, HTML, node.js and Electron. Dive in and contribute!
Works for everyone, no more complicated install instructions.
More on the way
50% faster burns, simultaneous writing for multiple drives. View our roadmap
- Option for trimming ext partitions on raw images [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Rework drive-selector with react + rendition [Lorenzo Alberto Maria Ambrosi]
- Use rendition theme property for step buttons [Lorenzo Alberto Maria Ambrosi]
- Upgrade styled-system to v4.1.0 [Lorenzo Alberto Maria Ambrosi]
- Upgrade rendition to v8.7.2 [Lorenzo Alberto Maria Ambrosi]
- Update ext2fs to 1.0.29 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Empty commit to trigger build [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Fix elevation on windows when the path contains "&" or "'" [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Revert "Include sass in webpack configs" [Lorenzo Alberto Maria Ambrosi]
- waffle.io removal and adding a link to the license [Mateusz Hajder]
- Windows installer and portable version support both ia32 and x64 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Add clean-shrinkwrap script to postshrinkwrap step [Lorenzo Alberto Maria Ambrosi]
- Update etcher-sdk to ^2.0.9 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Downgrade electron 4.1.5 -> 3.1.9 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Use https url for fetching config, avoid redirection [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- win32: fix running diskpart when the tmp file path contains spaces [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Fix gzipped files verification percentage and dmg verification. [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Update etcher-sdk to ^2.0.3 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Update electron to 4.1.5 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Don't show a dialog when the write fails. [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Add support for auto-updating feature [Giovanni Garufi]
- (Windows): Fix reading images from network drives containing non ascii characters [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Update resin-corvus to ^2.0.2 [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Better reporting of unhandled rejections to sentry [Alexis Svinartchouk]
- Update build scripts
- Fixed broken Hombrew cask link for etcher
- Remove no longer used travis and appveyor configs
- Reworked flashing logic with etcher-sdk
- Upgrade to Electron v3.
- Upgrade to NPM 6.7.0
- Fix incorrect drives list on Linux
- Changed “Drive Contains Image” to “Drive Mountpoint Contains Image”
- Removed etcher-cli
- Fix update notifier error popping up on v1.4.1->1.4.8
- Moved back the write cancel button
- Reject drives with null size (fixes pretty-bytes error)
- Fix typo in contributing guidelines
- Modify versionist.conf.js to match new internal commit guidelines
- Added React component for the Flash Results button
- Added React component for the Flash Another button
- Restyle success screen and enlarge UI elements
- Use https for fetching sub modules
- Add .wic image extension as supported format
- Added featured-project while flashing
- Center content independent to window resolution.
- Add electron-native file-picker component.
- Hide unsafe mode option toggle with an env var.
- Use new design background color and drive step size ordering.
- Add a convenience Storage class on top of localStorage.
- Introduce env var to toggle autoselection of all drives.
- Add font-awesome.
- Add support for configuration files
- Use GTK-3 darkTheme mode.
- Add environment variable to toggle fullscreen.
- Allow blacklisting of drives through and environment variable ETCHER_BLACKLISTED_DRIVES.
- Show selected drives below drive selection step.
- Add a button to cancel the flash process.
- Download usbboot drivers installer when clicking a driverless usbboot device on Windows.
- Allow disabling links and hiding help link with an env var.
Apps similar to Etcher 4
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
YUMI can be used to create a Multiboot USB Flash Drive containing multiple operating systems, antivirus utilities, disc cloning, diagnostic tools, and more. YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
One of the best tools to create bootable USB drives, the easy way. Works for Windows, Linux, DOS and ARM.