Half-Life fans are no doubt familiar with Black Mesa, the total remake of the original Half-Life that started as a mod for Half-Life: Source roughly a decade ago. A version of the project was released in 2012 and eventually recognized by Valve although it was far from finished.

Fast-forward to present time where the Black Mesa development team has released the re-envisioned game on Steam Early Access. As an Early Access title, it's still not complete but it's far more than was included in the free mod.

The single-player campaign for Black Mesa is now 85 percent complete which translates to over 10 hours of gameplay. On its Early Access page, the team said the remaining 15 percent will take a considerable amount of time to complete to their standards. As such, putting a time estimate on it would be a total guess.

With it come new visuals, new voiceovers, updated gameplay encounters, stability changes and more. The Early Access version also includes multiplayer deathmatch and team deathmatch modes with six completely re-imagined Half-Life 1 maps: Bounce, Gasworks, Lambdabunker, Stalkyard, Subtransit and Undertow.

Interested parties can pick up Black Mesa for $19.99. The price may go up slightly once the title exits Early Access status but again, that's not likely to happen for quite some time.

Do you have any interest in trying out the new Black Mesa variant? Let us know in the comments section below.