The Karma System - trial phase

momok said:
IBN said:
KingCody said:
Julio said:
Next change pending: new icon for identifying the karma feature (probably a thumbs up/down icon?)
I like the thumbs up/down idea. my only suggestion beyond that would be to change the text that displays when you hover the mouse over it from "add to _____'s karma" to something like "was this post helpful?" I think that would help shift the focus [from the poster] to the post itself
I like the idea
great idea on the shift to 'was this post helpful'
any word on these possible ("pending") changes?

:wave:

i dont have any real view on its worth, nevertheless i like the fact that no one can give karma points to one individual over and over within a short period of time i.e because they are friends.
we all know who are the boffins ?::zzz:

There you go... although I don't like the thumbs image that much, that's the best I could come up with after a few tries. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Just a thought Julio.

Maybe a Yin and Yang Icon would be better?

Original size of 98x98
ying-yang-clipart1.gif

Resized at 19x19
895014001177757710.gif

Regards Howard :)

Nice Howard :D ! I think the thumbs up/thumbs down button makes the karma easier to signify. The original button (the weight), didn't look like a "karma" button if you know what I mean :grinthumb !

Julio said:
There you go... although I don't like the thumbs image that much, that's the best I could come up with after a few tries. Maybe I just have to get used to it.
Julio, I agree. It took a little while to get used to. But now it is growing on me.

Please consider some alternative to the "thumb signal"

No, I take it back. Just lost 4 points due to this post.

Lol this thread certainly has gone quite a way. I think it's a great idea and the icons good enough. I can't complain.

ravisunny2 said:
No, I take it back. Just lost 4 points due to this post.

I lost goodness knows how many points on this thread already.

Thumbs look better than I expected.

I lose points on every post i make. It is ok, because i have come to realization that my -25 karma points are from like 3 different people...So, i will just leave tons of good karma for howard, then dispense my negative on those. Lol.

lol, I don't think the same guy can give you negative karma more than once.

They can, but it doesn't count.

I lost some karma from a post that didn't say anything at all.....this is what I wrote:

Me said:
Nice Howard ! I think the thumbs up/thumbs down button makes the karma easier to signify. The original button (the weight), didn't look like a "karma" button if you know what I mean !

And that was in this thread as well.

Damn, somebody gave you negative karma for just that? hummm...I think maybe "some" karma dealt out should maybe be looked at by a mod or admin to determinie if it is really worthy of being giving to a person or not.

Hell I'll never get a green dot! lol...

Yeah, same here..i got -25 for voicing my opinion...While i still haven't received any good karma for helping anyone.

I hate to say this, but maybe the Karma system isn`t such a good idea after all?

It seems it`s causing disruption and discontent amongst our membership and that`s not what it was designed to do.

I admit, I thought it was a good idea and deserved to be given a shot. However, judging by some of the complaints, some of which are quite valid in my opinion, maybe it`s time for a rethink?

I fully expected there`d be some teething problems, but nothing like this. Techspot did seem to function quite well without the Karma system.

Please note: This entirely my own opinion and doesn`t reflect Techspot policy in any way, shape or form.

Regards Howard :)

I totally agree Howard. How long has this site been going, like 10 years if you count the old site? Its really not that big a deal to me. I havent complained about it all I think. But I know of at least one good member of this site that it played a part in him leaving.

Keep it, or drop it....makes no difference what TS does to me.

Only Julio knows. I think the karma system is good. Especially now that the red block is gone.

Amen, wolfram.

I do think, however, that there should be no Karma in Introduce yourself and The Meeting 'spot', especially seeing how people are getting bad ratings in this thread. Perhaps some of the other forums, like Site Feedback & Suggestions, should have Karma turned off as well.

Back