Cpu Hsf Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually you are better off installing the fan and heatsink as a set or kit. Very hard to get everything lined up correctly with the clamps and all unless they are pre-sized.

so any suggestions? i have the heat sink and fan now. was wondering if their are any sugestions how to remove the stock hs and fan and install the new one?

The CPU is a AMD socket A type. The CPU heatsink is held on by a simple spring clamp.Take a small flat blade screwdriver and firmly press down on one side of the clamp. The side that has a lip where you can place the screwdriver tip. Press down firmly but not too hard and release the clip from the CPU socket. Clean off the old thermal paste and apply fresh paste before installing the new HSF

There are compression clamps. Look on the four sides. One side should have a lever-like device. Some require bolting a new clamp frame onto the motherboard.

Raybay,
there are no levers on the AMD socket A CPU's... These levers are on the AMD 754's and AM2 heatsinks right?

ok got it. there are two compression clamps and the two sides of the heatsink. their kinda tricky! Thanks guys for your help!! :)

That's great larryiam,
actually there is one spring clip attaching to 2 sides of the CPU socket

ok yea thats it sorry, you can call me jacob if ya want. :D just need to get some thermal compound now. That stuff that comes on the heat sink doesn't work good. thanks for all of your help!! :grinthumb

Ok Jacob,was that thermal paste white, that came with the new Heatsink and fan? If so, you could probably use it without any trouble. Arctic Silver is grey/black in color. We use it for the faster CPU's

yes it was white but stupid me sliped when installing it so im just going to put some on there anyway. because under full load temps go to 50-55C and idle 44-48C. so how do you properly put thermal grease on?

You need to make sure that all the old thermal paste has been totally cleaned off the CPU. Use rubbing alcohol to do this. Then apply a small "pea" sized amount to the center of the CPU, and install the heatsink and fan

ok will do! do i need to smooth out the thermal compound on the cpu with a razor or something? Thank you sooo much for your help!! :D

No you don't need to spread the theramal paste out. The pressure of the heatsink spring clip will smooth out the paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back