Cannot install many programs in Vista SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Hi!
I am having problem installing programs in Vista. Such as Office 2007, Nero and a whole lot more. I can't even install java.
I checked for viruses, run registry cleaners, rebooted a few times and still can't do anything. The whole system is seeming to slow down all the time. Anyway. Anyone has any ideas?
Thank you.
Regards.

First of all I would stop using any reg cleaners. You need to be a bit more specific. What happens when you try to install something? Give us a step by step explanation.

Insomen is right. Registry cleaners on vista sucks. Xp on the other hand is another story. Now we also need more details. From what you have given us though, What virus scanner did you use? and what registry cleaner did you use?

I use bit defender and I also used ComboFix. I know that ComboFix can destroy some important things, but I used it after the problem started and only because I know that I had an infection of Virtumonde.

The installations I try to do quit saying that "installation was Interrupted" that's all the info I get. No error codes. Just a message that installation was interrupted.
I have also noticed that many of the settings reset when I reboot. For example the settings of my Start menu. It all goes to default settings. And my search function simply disappeared.
Here is couple of shots of those errors.

I am very careful when I use registry cleaners. I learned the hard way.

Three recommendations:
1. Check Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it's called in Vista, i forget!) and see if any pieces of prior installs laying around.
2. Check the Vista Event Viewer to check for any more detailed error detail on the install failures
3. Strongly recommended you closely follow the steps in this post to make sure you are in fact malware free as you had an earlier infection and your symptoms can also indicate you didn't rid all of it

I tried installing other applications and I get an error about the temp folder. All the programs give the same type of error. Here is an example

Here's the proof that file does exist:

Any suggestions?

Three recommendations:
1. Check Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it's called in Vista, i forget!) and see if any pieces of prior installs laying around.
2. Check the Vista Event Viewer to check for any more detailed error detail on the install failures
3. Strongly recommended you closely follow the steps in this post to make sure you are in fact malware free as you had an earlier infection and your symptoms can also indicate you didn't rid all of it

I am doing all of that right now. I'll post results.

I am doing all of that right now. I'll post results.

Was just thinking... When you get the results/logs for the malware removal steps, might be best to start a new thread in Security and Web forum to ask they be reviewed (and make sure it gets proper attention/audience) for determining if malware is still present.

I'll keep an eye out for you in both forums to follow-up after one of the malware experts get a look

I can't access the viewer. The error said MMC could not create snap-in.
I tried looking up on MS support, but couldn't find anything.

I can't access the viewer. The error said MMC could not create snap-in.
I tried looking up on MS support, but couldn't find anything.

well, you clearly have corruption (and possibly still malware). See if you can follow through on tne malware instructions. Am about to logoff but will look back sometime tomorrow

Now I am having a whole list of other trouble. For instance I just installed BF2 and it immediately disappeared. I mean the whole installation folder just vanished.
To be honest i think I am just gonna give up probably. After two days of this with only about 3 hours of sleep and nothing working still I think I'll just install Kubuntu and pretend that I am not in rage

I'm right with you as far as the rage thing goes. I one week, ive replaced the HD, power supply, and ram. I had a problem similar to this. try reinstalling your windows installer (msi)

I think it has something to do with the permissions. I was able to install programs after lot of work. I needed access to MY Documents folder so I had to take ownership of it. Now I get the same installation errors as before. And I can't revert the permissions back. weird.
I think admin privileges should be by default set as full control of everything. What the hell MS was thinking of?

you may well have infections hiding in those files but regardless. Given all the time you put in but so many continued problems suggest an approach

Assure a complete backup while no infections running (just remember they might still exist in the backup files)
- Use something like Acronis True Image where you can boot from an Acronis recovery CD directly into Acronis backup/recovery. Windows never starts so no virus is running. Now complete a full back
- Reformat the drive. Wiped clean! and Reinstall Vista
- Now you can CAREFULLY scan and restore personal files as needed. at least you know they're isolated for now

I'll give it another try.
But if this doesn't work I think I'll just leave it be for the time being and use what I can.

Thank you for all Your help.
Regards.
Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back