Kingpin

vitachick

Older game 1999. Worked great until my mb went and had to get replaced.
Using same anti-virus program I had before. Allowed the kingpin.exe and
mmclient.exe (like a punkbuster which was always picked up as malware)

At wits end...:(

If I understand you correctly your PC worked fine with the game and current AV until your motherboard died. You then replaced it and your PC is up and running perfectly but now your AV is detecting your game as malware? What AV are you using? Some AV software have a tendency for false positives on older games for some reason. Have you tried not running your AV when gaming? Have you tried contacting your AV support to see if they have specific suggestions outside of allowing the program?

Using Avast Internet Security which is same AV I was using b4. I have everything in exclusions that I could think of. Even checked other comps to make sure all is the same. When I start the game I get Kingpin.exe has encountered a problem etc.
Same vid card as I had before. (some vid cards give the game a problem) so everthing is the same except new MB, PowerSupply. Have Intel icore 5 Quad core CPU. Running WinXP same as before.

Have you installed the game patches? How about changing the compatibility mode to an older OS.

Yes patch is installed. Tried Win95 and Win98 for compatibility. nah da.

It runs with WinXP. Have older comp I run a server on. Have no problem joining if necessary..Swear its something with the updating that is causing the problem. I pulled up the error report. alot of good that did, have no clue what it means. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the game. My comp just doesnt like it anymore.

What graphics card are you using? You might try using a different version of the graphics driver. Maybe an older one. For example, on the PC I'm on right now (I have others) I'm using an Nvidia PNY Geforce GTX 260, and the two newest drivers from Nvidia didn't work well with this PC so I went back to a more stable driver for this system.

Also posted problem in Kingpin Life of Crime forum. Fix is using program called nHancer. Here is reply..

"....I found a solution on the net that worked for me. I just recently upgraded my PC, "ghosted" my old HD to a new one, and suddenly KP absolutely would not work. Uninstall/reinstall did not help. So, I found a post by a dude named nevok01 on THIS FORUM and "voila, easy money". As it turns out, KP simply will not run on some of the newer, higher end cards. The solution is to download this program called NHANCER . Be advised that this program will not install unless you have MS .NET Framework 3.5 or later which you can download HERE. Anyway, once you have the MS .NET Framework 3.5 and nhancer programs installed, do the following:

"create a profile for kingpin and add the executable
go to the opengl settings tab and set the following:
in the settings "conformat texture dump" check and select no
in the settings "driver extension limit" check and type "11a8"
leave nEnacer running and execute the game, should work."

http://www.nhancer.com/
solution at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140452

Back