After exiting any game: half life 2, css, or call of duty my computer crashes... WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After exiting a game wether its half life 2, counter strike source, or call of duty my computer crashes. I changed the settings in regedit so that it doesnt reboot and this is what i saw

0x0000008e (0xc0000005,0xBF9F21C6,0xf2e408e0, 0x000000000)

(2nd set may be 0xBF9F2IC6... I instead of 1... not sure which.. same with below)

nv4_disp.dll-address BF9F21C6 base at BF9C3000, Datestamp 3Fa0bCF

anyone able to help id be very appreciative.

Win XP home eddition.
I have a toshiba P15-S409 so if you have any questions about what i have its all the standard that came with it.
p4 2.8
go5100,
512 mb ram
60 gb hd

It seems like your having trouble with your NVidia Video Card, as nv4_disp.dll is an Nvidia driver DLL.
Try reinstalling your drivers or downloading and installing the newest from the NVidia site.

Good Luck!

Beyond the crashing I am shocked that laptop can play HL2!! 8)
Wow how does it play?!?!

Also some time if you remove the old drivers in the Add/Remove programs set the display to generic VGA in the Hardware control panel and then install the new Display drivers followed by DX9.0c found on your HL2 disk it will really help.

Good luck! :D

yeah it plays it

yeah it plays it .. and really nicely .... as far as installing the new driver .. thats what the game keeps saying before i start it and it sends me to the site where i can get the new one .. the first time it did that i went and d/l the new drivers and installed it... yet the issue still continues... ill try and uninstall and reinstall fresh .. well see if that works...

ill post after i do it .. thanx for the help people

FIRST OF ALL, THE FORUMS OF THE WORLD ARE TOO VAGUE TO BE OF ANY REAL HELP SO I WILL LIST ALL PARTS USED.

I too have had issues getting dumped to desktop, BSOD and reboots. I recently upgraded my ASUS A7N8X non-deluxe rig to a 3200+ and then a MSI 6800GT from a 2500+ and an MSI 5900.

I have 2 Western Digital 80Gb 8Mb drives, normal mode, Pioneer A06 DVD-RW,
Rosewill 52x32x52x16x Combo drive and an Audigy 2 ZS Gamer.

I can recreate the crash at will by trying to play HL2 CS:Source. I have exhausted hours on this issue to this conclusion, based on trial and error, reading the error messages and other forums.

IT IS MEMORY RELATED

I get driver nv4_disp.dll crashing to BSOD and other messges telling memory at XXXXXXX can't be "read" and YES it is in quotes. I assumed it was video card, but it is a scenario where somebody didn't do there homework in game code or driver's, but only applies to 6800 cards. I have tried all drivers I can find.

THE FIXES:

For AMD, like me, it seems there is an issue with Nvidia NForce2 motherboards, and maybe even the newer 3 and 4 versions. It centers around the handling of DUAL CHANNEL MEMORY usage. I run fine with 512Mb stick of GeiL PC3500 Ultra in any slot, but 2 sticks in DUAL mode will crash. I swapped sticks to make sure they both work.

SO FAR, ONE STICK IN SINGLE MODE IS GREAT. GONNA TRY 2 STICKS IN SINGLE MODE NEXT.

For Intel, I can't substantiate this, as I do not have one, but it seems older motherboards with or without Hyper-Threading CPU's, have the same issues if HT is enabled in the BIOS. Updating BIOS does not help, upgrading to a new 875 or higher MB does. NO COST FIX IS TO DISABLE HT IN THE BIOS, and in worst case scenario, GO TO SINGLE CHANNEL MEMORY MODE. As noted by Microsoft and Intel, some software does not properly code for HT support and results can vary.

How do these two scenarios become related, I don't know. The symptoms are the same, to the letter, literally in the stop messages, which are vague as usual.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY GAMING

S!
REAPER OUT!!

Test Complete

1gb In Dual Channel Mode = Crash With Varying Codes Leading To Memory Not Able To Read Or Failure Of Nv4_disp.dll

1gb In The Single Channel Slots On The Mb And No Issues After Extensive Gaming.

I Can't Explain It, But I Found A Work Around I Am Happy With.

1gb In Single Mode Still Rocks Hl2 And Cs:source

S!
Reaper Out!

Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe w/ Similar Situation

Several months ago I built with the A7N8XE-Deluxe and had the same kind of problems. Surfing or anything else, the thing ran forever and looked good. Gaming, even with old games, I could play between 2 and 30 minutes before rebooting or, occasionally just kicking out to Windows. I tried everything including buying another motherboard. Asus techsupport never returned my emails or my phone calls.

Tried your suggestion, and it worked. I was using 2 512 MB Kingston PC3200 DIMMs in Dual mode and saw the problem. Ran with 1 stick in slot A1, still had the problem. Ran with 1 stick in A2, still had the problem. Ran with 1 stick in B1 and magically, no problem.

Asus has definitely fallen from grace on this one. Thanks for the insights on this forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back