"Windows cannot connect to the printer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgower2

Full error message: "windows cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printerhas lost its connection to the server."

Windows XP Pro, IBM ThinkPad laptop, TCP/IP network, AD.

I can see the printer, I can ping the server it's on, but as soon as I try to connect to or add the printer, I get the Windows error windows "cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printerhas lost its connection to the server."

The print spooler service is running, I have a local admin account. This used to work fine; unfortunately I don't know exactly when it stopped working to determine what changes I made that may have caused this.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

If that is a printserver, try to re-install the print-server software on that laptop.
You may also need to re-install the printer drivers.

In any case, UNninstall that printer via Device Manager. Tick the 'show hidden devices' box and check for other entries for that printer, delete/uninstall them also.
Try again to connect to that remote printer.

Also check the settings of your firewall, it may refuse connection, e.g. if there is MAC-filtering on, and that printer was swapped for some reason.

Thanks. Here's more info...

This isn't the print server. The drivers are on the server, not local. I've uninstalled the printers and there is no firewall installed/active on the laptop. The error happens with ALL printers on the network, not just one.

Thanks

This has been solved!

Someone sent me a registry file that fixed the problem. It's too long to post the contents in here (~47000 characters).

Probably counting spaces as well

poertner_1274 said:
:eek: :eek: That's quite large. Glad you got everything taken care of nonetheless.

I'd imagine that TS was counting the spaces between the text.

let me have the registry fix please

dgower2 said:
Someone sent me a registry file that fixed the problem. It's too long to post the contents in here (~47000 characters).

Hi, I also have the same problem, can u email me the registry fix to (email removed) please

Same Issue....

Hey everyone :)

So I have the exact same issue, and NO ONE else on the entire net is having this problem apparently.... :mad:

Everyone else but this certain box in our domain can add the printer, so it is definitely a client issue (I'm guessing registry)

Could anyone say which regustry keys need to be repaired?

Thanx

A Lot of Reg Keys

The reg file is fairly large and references many keys. I can email the file to you if you like.

The same problem... Looking for solution

Hi all, I have been looking into this issue for a couple of days now and I have not been able to find a solution. So far, this is the only place that may offer the solution that I may need. Can anyone please send me the registry key to fix this solution?

My contact info is
email removed

Thank you for your help.

To resolve this problem, verify that you are not having a problem with the licensing service. To do so, temporarily disable the licensing service on the print server by following these steps:
1. Click Start , click Programs , click Administrative Tools , and then click Services .
2. Right-click License Logging Service , and then click Stop .
3. After you stop the licensing service, attempt to connect to the printer again.

I do not believe that this will solve the issue as this problem is not affecting the community, it is only affecting one machine.

The registry fix is at:

Code:
pastebin.com slash f21eb4755

I can't post urls yet, that's why I did the above, just copy the code above and replace slash with '/'

printer connection

Full error message: "windows cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."

Windows XP Pro, Dell desktop Vostro 200

I can see the printer, but as soon as I try to connect to or add the printer, I get the Windows error windows "cannot connect to the printer. either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."
This used to work fine; unfortunately I don't know exactly when it stopped working to determine what changes I made that may have caused this.

This used to work fine; unfortunately I don't know exactly when it stopped working to determine what changes I made that may have caused this.

Are you saying that the network_printer_fix.reg is no longer working? Try the one linked to in my signature.

I've

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back