Review of Asus S96J Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllewe

Review of Asus S96J Notebook, First review, Go easy on me.

Review Of Asus s96J.

I ordered this Laptop from 1toppc.com, after careful planning of my needs; They were

Mobility
Small(er) size
Decent performance

The s96j seemed to fit the bill. I got mine equipped with

2.13Ghz Intel Core Duo
2GB DDR2 667Mhz (Corsair)
X1600 256Mb Mobility
80 GB 5200 RPM SATA Drive
DVD +/- RW
Intel Pro Wireless

_________________Pros of the Notebook_______________________________

-Price- I was really looking for value here. Finding that middle range where price meets performance was something that took me along to accomplish. For around 1600 USD this was a lot of notebook with not a lot of excess spending.

-Usability- I wanted a notebook that delivered both performance and ease of use. I needed good enough battery life, without settling for sub par gaming. Again, this was a very hard niche to find.

-Quality- This notebook is rock solid. The keyboard has very little give (just the way I like it) It doesn’t run too hot. The screen has very good color and response time. I have used CRT’s all my life, and this LCD blew them out of the water.

-Future Ready- With a Core Duo (Socket 479) this notebook is ready for multithreaded applications. Also, while it is not confirmed, the notebook is rumored to be Core 2 Duo ready (memrom)

__________Cons of the Notebook_____________________________________

-Battery Life- While it is not too bad, I do not get the 2 hours as told by Asus. I could look into getting a 12cell but I do have 2 batteries, which I recommend to anyone who is using the laptop for an extended amount of time.

-Cooling- When doing heavy work (Gaming) the CPU gets quite toasty, but not the notebook itself. I guess this is sort of expected with the conditions of a notebook.

-Speakers- Defiantly not a deal breaker, but the speakers on the laptop are horrible. I am not talking bad, rather, terrible. Listening to music via the built in speakers is not a option if you need quality.

Photos.
cpuinfo5yk.jpg

Cpu Info

suc500240cr.jpg

suc500280ke.jpg

Cooling Setup

AtK SpAdE said:
225 Views, and no comments, I guess thats good right?
lol, nice review, simple but with pictures. Just one thing, your laptop fan looks quite similar to my own. I see you have one fan for both CPU and GPU. This is like mine. I would've prefered one with seperate fans, because if only the CPU gets hot, then the fan for both has to start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back