VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming.
It supports many new devices inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
Rincewind fixes around a thousand bugs, in more than 7000 commits from 140 volunteers.
- Fix HLS quality selection and a potential stack overflow
- Fix potential MKV infinite loop and improve MKV tags support
- Fix WMV regression
- Fix hardware decoding with libvdpau-va-gl
- Fix crashes with libvpx
- Use libass without caching dialog
- Fix green lines on Direct3D output
- Fix maximizing Window in multi-screen context
- Fix resume where you left off
- Fix infinite recursion in the customize dialog
- Fix size when switching to/from the minimal interface
- Fix size after resume toolbar is displayed
- Fix crashes in media information panel
- Correctly respect the disable-screensaver option
- Allow opening more than 15 elements in Explorer
- Update of most translations
- Rewritten audio core, allowing better volume and device management.
- Rewrite of the audio modules, to adapt to the new core.
- Correct support for multi-channel layouts in all formats: 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1
- New audio outputs for Windows Vista, Android, iOS, OpenBSD and OSSv4.
- New remapping, gain, stereo widening, downmixing effects.
- Higher samplerate, precision, live configuration in the core.
- Numerous new audio metadata format supported.
- Port the OpenGL output to OpenGL ES.
- Support color conversion shaders in glsl on Android and iOS.
- New outputs for OpenMax IL on mobile and Decklink Blackmagic.
- New video outputs for iOS using OpenGL ES2.
- Support for deinterlacing for higher bit depth and XYZ colorspace.
- New anaglyph filter for side-by-side 3D.
- 4K-ready :)
- Add hardware decoding for OS X using VDADecoder.
- Add hardware decoding for Android using MediaCodec.
- Add hardware decoding for GNU/Linux using VDPAU.
- Add hardware encoding for Windows using Intel QuickSyncVideo.
- Support for G2M4, MSS1, MSS2, TSCC2, CDXL, Ut, VBLE video codecs.
- Support for Ulead DV audio, Indeo Audio Coder, RealAudio Lossless audio.
- Support for SCTE-27 and complete EIA-608 subtitles.
- Support for fragmented MP4, Wave/RF64 files.
- Extended metadata tags and cover art support in Ogg, AVI, MP4 and MKV.
- Support FLAC, Atrac, ADPCM, DV Type 1, 12bits DV audio in AVI.
- Extended support for AVI, MKV and MJPEG streams.
- Better recording of AVI and MKV format.
- Audio fingerprinting using AcoustID.
Input and Devices
- Support for screen input on OSX Lion and later.
- Support for Microsoft Smooth Streaming, developed by Viotech.net
- New RTMP input module, using libavformat!
- Support for VNC/rfb and Remote Desktop view-only modes.
- Important improvements on Blu-Ray, Dash, v4l2 and HTTP inputs.
- New AVFoundation OS X and shm framebuffer inputs.
For Anime fans
- New 6.1 downmixer to 5.1 and Stereo from MKV/Flac 6.1.
- Correct YUV->RGB color matrix in the OpenGL shaders.
- Improved MKV support for seeking, and resiliancy.
- Editions support in MKV.
- Better subtitles and metadata support from MKV.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
- Port to Android, from 2.1 to 4.3, on ARMv6, ARMv7, x86 and MIPS.
- New port to iOS, from iOS 5 to 7, on all iPads and iPhones after 3GS.
- Partial port to WinRT, for Windows 8, 8.1 and WP8.
- OpenGL ES optimized outputs.
- Improvements of OpenMAX IL decoders, encoders and renderers.
- New audio, video outputs and interfaces for mobiles.
- libVLC and most modules are now LGPLv2.1+.
- libVLC media framework can now be used in all types of applications.
- libVLC SDK packages now exists, in addition to more examples.
- Improved libVLC API, for better control.
- VLC's web plugins now support windowless mode, for smoother integration with HTML elements.
New 64-bit version for Windows.
Apps similar to VLC Media Player 24
iTunes is a free application for Mac and PC. It plays all your digital music and video. It syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV.
Daum PotPlayer: It feels like the KMPlayer, but is in active development.
Foobar2000 is an advanced and very complete freeware audio player for the Windows platform.