VLC Media Player 2.1.2
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and a special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better effiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC audio support.
It supports many new devices inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
Rincewind fixes around a thousand bugs, in more than 7000 commits from 140 volunteers.
- Rewritten audio core, allowing better volume and device management.
- Rewrite of the audio modules, to adapt to the new core.
- Correct support for multi-channel layouts in all formats: 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1
- New audio outputs for Windows Vista, Android, iOS, OpenBSD and OSSv4.
- New remapping, gain, stereo widening, downmixing effects.
- Higher samplerate, precision, live configuration in the core.
- Numerous new audio metadata format supported.
- Port the OpenGL output to OpenGL ES.
- Support color conversion shaders in glsl on Android and iOS.
- New outputs for OpenMax IL on mobile and Decklink Blackmagic.
- New video outputs for iOS using OpenGL ES2.
- Support for deinterlacing for higher bit depth and XYZ colorspace.
- New anaglyph filter for side-by-side 3D.
- 4K-ready :)
- Add hardware decoding for OS X using VDADecoder.
- Add hardware decoding for Android using MediaCodec.
- Add hardware decoding for GNU/Linux using VDPAU.
- Add hardware encoding for Windows using Intel QuickSyncVideo.
- Support for G2M4, MSS1, MSS2, TSCC2, CDXL, Ut, VBLE video codecs.
- Support for Ulead DV audio, Indeo Audio Coder, RealAudio Lossless audio.
- Support for SCTE-27 and complete EIA-608 subtitles.
- Support for fragmented MP4, Wave/RF64 files.
- Extended metadata tags and cover art support in Ogg, AVI, MP4 and MKV.
- Support FLAC, Atrac, ADPCM, DV Type 1, 12bits DV audio in AVI.
- Extended support for AVI, MKV and MJPEG streams.
- Better recording of AVI and MKV format.
- Audio fingerprinting using AcoustID.
Input and Devices
- Support for screen input on OSX Lion and later.
- Support for Microsoft Smooth Streaming, developed by Viotech.net
- New RTMP input module, using libavformat!
- Support for VNC/rfb and Remote Desktop view-only modes.
- Important improvements on Blu-Ray, Dash, v4l2 and HTTP inputs.
- New AVFoundation OS X and shm framebuffer inputs.
For Anime fans
- New 6.1 downmixer to 5.1 and Stereo from MKV/Flac 6.1.
- Correct YUV->RGB color matrix in the OpenGL shaders.
- Improved MKV support for seeking, and resiliancy.
- Editions support in MKV.
- Better subtitles and metadata support from MKV.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
- Port to Android, from 2.1 to 4.3, on ARMv6, ARMv7, x86 and MIPS.
- New port to iOS, from iOS 5 to 7, on all iPads and iPhones after 3GS.
- Partial port to WinRT, for Windows 8, 8.1 and WP8.
- OpenGL ES optimized outputs.
- Improvements of OpenMAX IL decoders, encoders and renderers.
- New audio, video outputs and interfaces for mobiles.
- libVLC and most modules are now LGPLv2.1+.
- libVLC media framework can now be used in all types of applications.
- libVLC SDK packages now exists, in addition to more examples.
- Improved libVLC API, for better control.
- VLC's web plugins now support windowless mode, for smoother integration with HTML elements.
With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.2 allows experimental decoding of HEVC and Webm/VP9 (depending on the platform). 2.1.2 fixes numerous bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind".
Important fixes involve Audio devices management and SPDIF on Windows and Mac OS X.
2.1.2 also improves the Windows installer and updates most translations.
- Fix digital playback on OS X when more than one audio device is installed
- Fix digital playback (SPDIF/HDMI) on Windows
- Fix stuttering or silent playback when using sound enhancers or external audio devices on OS X
- Improve responsiveness on OS X when playback starts or is being paused
- Improve responsiveness, silent playback intervals and reliability on iOS
- Fix Vimeo and DailyMotion parsing
- Various WMV playback improvements and fixes
- Fix LPCM 20/24-bit decoding and 16 bits with channel padding
- Fix playback of some HEVC samples
- Fix crash on deinterlace selection
- Fix some streaming profiles when copy existed
- Improve A-B loop control
- Fix album art update when changing media
Mac OS X interface:
- Add a language option in the interface
- Option to control VLC's iTunes pausing behavior is more easy to find
- Improved UI resetting when requested in the preferences
- Fix issue which prevented to enable more than one video filter on Mavericks
- Fix an issue which could prevent automatic UI language settings from working
- Fix opening subtitles files through drag & drop or double-clicking
- Fix crash when closing window without decorations
- Fix issue where extra video window was resized even if this was disabled
- Kill running VLC process on uninstall/update
- Update of Basque, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Estonian, French, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Kannada, Khmer, Lithuanian, Occitan, Persian, Polish, Romanian, Scottish Gaelic, Sinhala, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Uzbek, Welsh translations
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.