Audio & Video
- Editors: Staff, Lyrics, Piano Roll, Percussions, Loops, Audio, Events.
- File formats: standard .MID and .WAV files.
- Includes extensive integrated help.
- Piano Roll / Rhythm editor with:
- multi-level loops
- loops can refer to notes, other loops, samples, or Riffs.
- Import, record and edit audio samples and play them like drums.
- Any note duration down to 1/128th notes.
- Dynamic editing while the song is playing, making it easier to experiment with rhythms.
- Duplet, quintuplet, and septuplet notes.
- Enter notes from external MIDI device, on-screen guitar fret board, on-screen piano keyboard, or by dragging notes to the staff.
- Lyrics, track names, and comments can be in Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other languages.
- Percussion editor employs standard percussion notation
- Copy and paste between 2 song files by starting two copies of Anvil Studio with different songs loaded.
- Align notes with beats and measures.
- Stretch / compress notes over time.
- Compensation for MIDI and Audio device latency and working with low-latency ASIO and Virtual Instruments.
- Per-track On/Mute/Solo, device, instrument, channel, fader, pan, and effects controls.
- Shows up to 25 tracks of information displayed at the same time.
- Zoomed-out view of notes and wave data for all tracks at the same time.
- Option to play notes as mouse moves over them, making it easier to quickly locate a spot in the song.
- Dynamically change track volumes, mutes, instruments, and effects properties while a song continues to play.
- Fast loading and scrolling of large MIDI files.
- Time and Duration fields display time in Minute:Second:Frame(SMPTE), or Measure:Beat:Ticks, or sample format.
- Metronome includes tempo, lead-in, and accent beat attributes.
- Add Cue points for quickly positioning to a desired spot in the song.
- Play list for playing hours of different song files.
- File/Truncate menu to shorten the duration of .MID files.
- File/Merge Song menu for copying tracks between .MID files.
- Add standard music notation including: slur, crescendo, decrescendo, fermata, trill, repeat, D.C., D.S.,segno, coda, prima volta, seconda volta,pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff
- User-defined keyboard shortcuts.
- Control Record/Play/Stop functions remotely using any MIDI controllers such as a Foot Switch, Modulation wheel.
- Free version has built-in patch-library support for SoundFont®-compatible sound cards.
- Supports the Tascam US-428 External Mixing console.
- Runs on Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000.
- ASIO, VST, VST-Instrument, and Automation support with optional Pro-Mix accessory.
- Free version allows you to record and edit a single, stereo or mono, one minute audio track.
- Optional $19 Multi-Audio 1/8 accessory allows you to record and mix up to 8 stereo/mono audio tracks, where recording time is limited by available free disk space.
- Uses Windows Audio Format Converters to import/export WMA and other audio formats.
- Mix audio files with different formats (bits per sample, samples per second).
- Controls for sound-card configuration.
- Mix all tracks down to a single .WAV file.
- Set record and play start and end times to control which range get recorded for Punch-in to re-record over mistakes.
- Record audio tracks from any sound card's Mono, Left, Right or Stereo channels, from any soundcard source including Microphone, Line-In, CD-Audio, etc.
- Audio effects: native reverb, native EQ, third-party DirectX effects.
- Audio filters: zero-range, pitch change, volume change, pan, filtering, reverse, normalize (to maximize a track's head-room), low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, and band-stop.
- VU meters
- Zoom in to the sample level
- Per-sample Volume, Pan and Reverb controls
- Record an Audio device's Left or Right channel to a track by itself.
- Mix stereo and mono Audio tracks in the same song to a stereo or mono mix.
- Split a stereo audio track into two mono tracks.
- Change audio tracks between Mono and Stereo without erasing the track.
- Paste Stereo to Mono and Mono to Stereo.
- Import .WAV files to audio tracks or sampled rhythms.
- Optional Multi-Audio 8/16 accessory allows you to:
- simultaneously record up to 8 stereo audio tracks if you have a Sound Card with 8 mono audio inputs or 4 stereo inputs.
- mix a song with 16 audio tracks down to a single .WAV file.
- increase the number of audio Samples you can use in the Rhythm and Piano Roll editor to 64.
- record and play audio tracks with 24 bits per sample and 192 kHz samples per second, if your soundcard supports it.
- use soundcards with ASIO drivers.
- load third-party VST effects.
- Sequencing as MIDI Master or Slave
- Unlimited number of MIDI Tracks.
- When moving the mouse over notes on the staff, the equivalent keys on the piano keyboard are highlighted.
- Record notes from an external MIDI keyboard.
- Enter notes from Computer keyboard while real-time recording or manually composing.
- Select, Copy, Edit, Paste notes.
- Right-mouse popup menu control of individual note properties including:
- pitch, duration, volume, stem direction, staccato, tie-to-next-note, and delete note.
- Button that lets you sing the note to be inserted on the staff.
- Staff style control to display 1 or 2 treble or bass clefs.
- Transpose diatonic or chromatic.
- Automatic layout of bars and staves.
- MIDI Master and Slave Synchronization modes for synchronizing with MIDI drum machines and sequencers.
- The Perform screen lets you wire together on-screen modules for real-time manipulation of MIDI sounds.
- Repair Song menu fixes problems in badly-formatted MIDI files.
- Option to echo to SoundCard while recording MIDI, even when recording from external keyboard.
Software that can be used as an alternative to Anvil Studio: