Classic Shell 4.0.2
Classic Shell is a collection of features that were available in older versions of Windows but were later removed.
It has a customizable Start menu and Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features.
Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:
- Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
- Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
- Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
- Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
- Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
- Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
- The search box helps you find your programs without getting in the way of your keyboard shortcuts
- Supports jumplists for easy access to recent documents and common tasks
- Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
- Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
- Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
- Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
- Converts the “All Programs” button in the Windows menu into a cascading menu (Vista and Windows 7)
- Implements a customizable Start button (Windows 7 and 8)
- Can show, search and launch Windows Store apps (Windows 8)
- And last but not least – it's FREE!
- Quick fix for the taskbar showing up on top of fullscreen programs under some conditions
- New setting to hide Metro apps from the Programs folder
- Improved compatibility with the final build of Windows 8.1
- Minor bugfixes
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.