Skype for Android 4.6.0
Free voice and video calls to anyone else on Skype, whether they’re on an Android, iPhone, Mac or PC, as well as IMs to your friends and family, no matter where they are.
- Skype to Skype IMs, video and voice calls are free* over 3G or WiFi.
- Make low-cost calls and SMS to mobiles or landlines from your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Send pictures, videos and files to any of your contacts.
- Enjoy high-quality sound when you call anyone else on Skype.
- Talk face to face or show what you’re seeing with front and rear-facing cameras.
- Talk to your Windows Live Messenger friends on Skype. Sign into Skype with your Microsoft account and have your Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook contacts in one place.
*Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Due to Android restrictions, devices running Android 2.2 will only be able to use the rear-facing camera. Devices with Android 2.3 or higher will be able to use both front and rear-facing cameras.
- Improved audio handling: Alerts and calls will now play through the correct speakers or Bluetooth devices.
- Recording video messages will work better on certain Samsung phones.
- Additional incoming call and accessibility improvements.
- Improved Video Instant Messaging functionality overall, including fixes on latest Samsung phones
- Added compatibility for the Hudl tablet
- Fixed crashes on the Nexus 5
- Drop down filter selections on the people tab are now persistent
- Picture-in-Picture lets you see your video call even when you switch to other apps.
- Lots of contacts? Simply pinch your contact list to zoom out to an alphabet, then tap a letter to zoom in.
- General fixes and performance improvements for all users
- Video messaging compatibility fixes
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: