Skype for Android 184.108.40.206404
Free voice and video calls to anyone else on Skype, whether they’re on an Android, iPhone, Mac or PC, as well as IMs to your friends and family, no matter where they are.
- Skype to Skype IMs, video and voice calls are free* over 3G or WiFi.
- Make low-cost calls and SMS to mobiles or landlines from your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Send pictures, videos and files to any of your contacts.
- Enjoy high-quality sound when you call anyone else on Skype.
- Talk face to face or show what you’re seeing with front and rear-facing cameras.
- Talk to your Windows Live Messenger friends on Skype. Sign into Skype with your Microsoft account and have your Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook contacts in one place.
*Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Due to Android restrictions, devices running Android 2.2 will only be able to use the rear-facing camera. Devices with Android 2.3 or higher will be able to use both front and rear-facing cameras.
Today we’re proud to bring you Skype for Android, version 4.4. When we launched version 4.0 in July, we promised to bring the new UI experience to tablets too. Not only are we bringing it to Android tablets, but to the Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX tablets as well.
Tablet users will now see a new interface that puts conversations first, displaying your most recent calls and chats. You will also enjoy all the quality and performance advancements that the total rewrite of version 4.0 brought to phone users.
Skype 4.4 tablet messaging
All Android users will enjoy improved video call quality in version 4.4. With good network conditions, you can now experience up to four times the resolution of previous versions, with enhanced clarity and frame rates. Kindle Fire HD and HDX users will still enjoy hardware accelerated HD quality video.
In addition, Skype for Android 4.4 has several bug fixes and quality improvements:
- Accessibility improvements with full support for TalkBack screen reader
- Updates that address incoming call issues, including one that was causing phones to reboot
- Additional changes to audio routing
- Display and UX enhancements when switching orientation
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.