- Skype to Skype IMs, video and voice calls are free* over 3G or WiFi.
- Make low-cost calls and SMS to mobiles or landlines from your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Send pictures, videos and files to any of your contacts.
- Enjoy high-quality sound when you call anyone else on Skype.
- Talk face to face or show what you’re seeing with front and rear-facing cameras.
- Talk to your Windows Live Messenger friends on Skype. Sign into Skype with your Microsoft account and have your Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook contacts in one place.
*Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Due to Android restrictions, devices running Android 2.2 will only be able to use the rear-facing camera. Devices with Android 2.3 or higher will be able to use both front and rear-facing cameras.
- Typing indicator to see when someone is typing
- Avatar picture now follows as you scroll to read longer messages
- File type icons for shared Office documents
- Send feedback directly from the app (look under "Settings")
- Stability improvements for Lollipop
Finding Friends Just Became Easier
Starting with Skype 5.0 for Android, you’ll be able to connect Skype to your phone address book. This means it’s easier than ever to find contacts you already know on Skype so you can start chatting, calling and sharing instantly. After you download the latest Android update, in the coming months you’ll be prompted to verify your phone number. From there, the app will automatically look for contact matches between Skype and your address book. When matches are found, you’ll see new contacts show up in your Skype people list. Your Skype contacts will keep evolving as more friends in your address book join Skype. And rest assured, once you connect your address book, we won’t spam your friends.
You’re In Charge
As we add this new feature to Android, we remain dedicated to making sure you’re in total control of your Skype experience. In your settings, you can easily choose whether you want your address book contacts to be automatically added to Skype or not. And don’t worry, your number will not be a public part of your profile. You can modify the phone number associated with your account or deactivate it completely, if you don’t want to be found by your phone number.
If you’re not an Android user, don’t worry! We’re working hard to deliver this new feature to other mobile platforms in the coming months.