7-Zip is open source software. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license: GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions.
You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip.
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 69 languages
7-Zip works in Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista. There is a port of the command line version to Linux/Unix.
- The code for "Open file from archive" operation was improved.
- The code for "Tools/Options" window was improved.
- The BUG was fixed: there was incorrect mouse cursor capture for drag-and-drop operations from open archive to Explorer window.
- Some bugs were fixed.
Previous version 9.22:
Apps similar to 7-Zip 6
WinZip is bar none, the most popular and useful file compression utility out there.
Free and easy to use, plus it supports more than 20 formats of compressed archives.
ExtractNow is a cool utility that allows you to extract files quickly and easily.